Please tell me Lashlee was holding back

Advertisement
The fact that the passing game looked so inept going into the 3rd quarter then all of a sudden he's using concepts that moved the pocket and got Brevin the ball in space, sorta says that this offense has a whole other gear that Lashlee didn't want to expose. He looked reluctant to call these plays until it was a tight 17-14 game like the poster above said, then we call these plays, move down the field fairly easy, and never go back to anything that looks remotely like it once we're up 2-3 scores. Sorta smells calculated. New OC's tend to do things like this if they can, thinking about that next opponent. Louisville is going to put up points. Doesn't hurt to not put too much on film before that game 'if you can get away with it'.
People who refuse to acknowledge what you just outlined above are out of their minds. I don’t like that we held back, but no one can tell me with a straight face that our offense in 3rd quarter —when the game tightened — was the same as what we saw in the first half and 4th quarter.

Last edited:
Just wondering how C.Arkansas scored 35 against them. Didn’t get a chance to watch that game.
C. Arkansas clearly has a more talented better coached offense than the slop we have at Miami. Only explanation (here, anyways).

Advertisement
Go watch lashlee offense from last year and compare it to watch you saw last night and you have your answer. Everybody not richt or enos

Your assuming that Lashlee had total control of the offense at SMU like he does here. Usually an offensive coordinator under a defensive head coach will have more control than he would under a offensive head coach. (Probably part of the reason Lashlee came here). I'm sure Dykes being an offensive coach had more input than Manny will.

because the O looked limited. With Perry at the helm, we might have lost that game.
...or Perry might have connected on the wide-open targets and would not have to run. Point is, it looked like the first game of a really odd year and time where the team could not go through the usual practice progressions and thus the chemistry is a little off.
The way I see it, the teams who manage to find their groove the fastest will be better positioned at the end of the regular season. And yes, Clemson and Alabama could look out of sort as well.
2020. What a year!

Advertisement
I'm really excited to come back to this thread after the Clemson game and call out every single one of you abject morons that thinks the playbook was wide open yesterday.

The level of stupidity on display in this thread is astonishing.

So you think all of our opponents will only watch the UAB game and not watch film of his previous seasons running this offense, WITH this QB?

Yep, you’re the smart one.

It was pretty clear that was vanilla offense and as basic as we can be.
We all saw the same game. I’m amazed that so many can’t count. Six dam plays. We ran only six plays. But but but.... I guess all of the experts complaining are waiting for someone to break down the film and explain to them what they saw. 🤷‍♂️ Where the heck is Roman 🤔😂

We hammered UAB with the same Zone Read play over and over again. Heck, it was blocked the same way too. RBs cut back in the same lane outside of tackle to expose the gap that was opened because of the read defender. King didnt keep a single Zone Read even if the Read defender overplayed the RB. Perry kept it once at the end while Burns had a wide open lane and that was a TFL.

We went from 17-14 to 31-14 in six minutes of playing time and six of Kings 24 throwing attempts happened in those two drives. He went 5/6 for 72 yds and a TD. That yardage output accounts for half the passing yardage King had in the entire game. And in that drive, we got Jordan in space once with him running behind the O-Line to get a quick pass (which UAB did a lot btw), ran a rollout with Pope doing a motion behind the QB to target Jordan down the field and got Payton on a curl in space in a bunched 2 WR set on the right.

We didnt run Mesh, Smash, Bounce in the route concepts. RPOs were barely a thing. Y Stick or Shallow Cross werent run. We barely ran any flair or screen passes to the receivers like we did on that first drive vs Florida in 2019 that are a basic thing in Malzahns offense. We ran the ball for the most part, made it obvious for everyone with playcalling and still put up 31 in three quarters.

Wait after Louisville to make early judgements about how much offense we will have.

Advertisement
De facto HC Lashlee wasn't "holding back" in some greater effort to "unleash" the playbook against ACC opponents later.

He was calling plays our Canes O could handle.

Not unexpected considering they [Lashlee and team] are still getting used to each other, and quite frankly on some occasions it did not go well. Again, expected. Give them a touch more time to execute on Lashlee's foundation.

Also, goodness gracious the OL remains unimpressive, although it appears Campbell is an upgrade over Nelson at LT.

We hammered UAB with the same Zone Read play over and over again. Heck, it was blocked the same way too. RBs cut back in the same lane outside of tackle to expose the gap that was opened because of the read defender. King didnt keep a single Zone Read even if the Read defender overplayed the RB. Perry kept it once at the end while Burns had a wide open lane and that was a TFL.

We went from 17-14 to 31-14 in six minutes of playing time and six of Kings 24 throwing attempts happened in those two drives. He went 5/6 for 72 yds and a TD. That yardage output accounts for half the passing yardage King had in the entire game. And in that drive, we got Jordan in space once with him running behind the O-Line to get a quick pass (which UAB did a lot btw), ran a rollout with Pope doing a motion behind the QB to target Jordan down the field and got Payton on a curl in space in a bunched 2 WR set on the right.

We didnt run Mesh, Smash, Bounce in the route concepts. RPOs were barely a thing. Y Stick or Shallow Cross werent run. We barely ran any flair or screen passes to the receivers like we did on that first drive vs Florida in 2019 that are a basic thing in Malzahns offense. We ran the ball for the most part, made it obvious for everyone with playcalling and still put up 31 in three quarters.

Wait after Louisville to make early judgements about how much offense we will have.
Well said. It’s nice to see life of intelligence in this thread.

Advertisement
Give me two losses in the next three weeks and I will turn into the most miserable person on this platform. Not kidding. 😄
Respectfully, disagree. I’ll be that guy and calling for people’s heads. No one can’t justify to me losing to Louisville and or FSU after seeing us dominate them, last season. We have more talent than both those teams.

So the ACC teams we play that are scouting us won't see the entire playbook. Everyone does it. I did it when I coached.

Did you do it while you were barely scraping by a tune-up team that had no business hanging around at halftime?

Holding back ONLY makes sense if you are still able to stomp teams and set a tone. It makes no sense to hold back while looking bad.....and outside of a few long runs this offense struggled in the half, especially throwing the ball. With limited reps in fall and no reps in spring, this team needed to do more than simple zone read because we'll need those other plays starting next week. Practice does not do enough to simulate game situation.

Better teams will shut down our run game if we don't vary the formations and blocking schemes better. It wasn't hard to break it down pre-snap once you saw it a few times.

Advertisement
Back