• Coral Gables Senior High School

Votes: 32 6.9%
  • Tropical Park

Votes: 300 64.5%
  • None of the Above

Votes: 71 15.3%

• Total voters
is tropical park busy?
It can’t be anywhere as busy as oleta, markham, or Emilia. If you try to build something in any of those parks you would get immediate pushback and it would get tossed out by any of those city councils in 2 minutes.

Don’t live in Miami any more but the few times I’ve been there over the last few years that pace has been pretty empty. The weekends are decent cause of the pavilion rentals.
I got recruited from the offices close to the park and know that swat trains there sometimes and so do some of the other departments.

How busy is it really for those that love or go there frequently?

The horse stables?
Do they still have boxing there?
The tennis courts?
The baseball fields ?
The lakes?

If the community is really going to be hurt by losing some or all of the park then yeah that’s not cool at all.

But if barely anyone uses it then the community might actually benefit from it if other things beside a stadium are built. There may also be a way to salvage some of those park amenities in the plan than we don’t know about. It’s a huge chunk of land.
thousands of people use it every single day. it is very busy. it is one of the most frequently used parks in the county.

the community would be VERY hurt. boy scouts, baseball little league games, softball leagues, soccer leagues, the boxing gym, the frequently used equestrian center. it is a robust park and tens of thousands if not more people would lose a park.

public parks should not be used for private purposes. ever.

Advertisement
Build newer and better housing. This would not be anywhere close to the first time when older and/or substandard buildings have been replaced with newer buildings, nor has this been limited to low-income areas. Happens in South Beach too.

i'm not trying to be condescending here, but do you know how hard it is to get long-time residents to willingly leave their homes, even if you give them a more modern option and buckets of money? "better" is entirely relative.

thousands of people use it every single day. it is very busy. it is one of the most frequently used parks in the county.

the community would be VERY hurt. boy scouts, baseball little league games, softball leagues, soccer leagues, the boxing gym, the frequently used equestrian center. it is a robust park and tens of thousands if not more people would lose a park.

Isn't there enough space to accommodate a stadium + parking that would still leave considerable space for some if not all of the existing facilities?

In the late summer and early fall there are a bunch of high school cross country meets there as well

i'm not trying to be condescending here, but do you know how hard it is to get long-time residents to willingly leave their homes, even if you give them a more modern option and buckets of money? "better" is entirely relative.
to prove this point, there is a development in downtown Coral Gables that all in must be near the $700,000,000 range. there is one guy that refused to sell his house even though he was offered millions. as a matter of principle, he won't sell and said he will die in that house. see the yellow area in the image.

Attachments

• gables.PNG
    gables.PNG
    1.5 MB · Views: 36
Advertisement
Isn't there enough space to accommodate a stadium + parking that would still leave considerable space for some if not all of the existing facilities?
i dont think so. HRS is a total of about 230 acres which is sufficient to accommodate the stadium and parking, which means virtually the entire park would be used, unless you built structured parking and underground parking.

to prove this point, there is a development in downtown Coral Gables that all in must be near the $700,000,000 range. there is one guy that refused to sell his house even though he was offered millions. as a matter of principle, he won't sell and said he will die in that house. see the yellow area in the image.
same in my town. there's a massive commercial area at a major intersection where a single homeowner with a little single family house has refused any and all offers for the home over the last 3-4 decades.

20220211_105640-jpg.177522

Attachments

• 20220211_105640.jpg
    20220211_105640.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 170
Advertisement

Basically, I agree with you.

But then I think "Melreese". Is the differential "City of Miami" vs. "Metro-Dade"? Or is it usage (Melreese wasn't used that much when you and I were in law school, but I haven't lived in Dade for a while)?

When I was an undergrad, though, I dreamed of a UM football stadium in Tropical. That was the 80s/90s...times have changed...

As long as votes pass, they will redo all of tropical park into a “entertainment center” of sorts.. stadium, local restaurants, and other ****e.. if people want another park they can just build one in Doral or some ****e

Advertisement

This is the Orlando City Soccer stadium site. The city worked out a deal for all the land, but there is a tiny church property that held out for WAY more money. The church land was valued, multiple times, in the $500K to $1 million range. The church demanded $35 million. Their argument was that when Orlando wanted to build its new Performing Arts center downtown, they paid a (much larger) church $35 million for the land. So now, for years, the Orlando City matches essentially landlock this tiny church, and they get nothing in the process. Oh, and just for some historical context, this is not some longtime church (as First Baptist in downtown Orlando was) with a huge congregation. The current owners of the church purchased it a few years before the soccer stadium was built.

1644597031937.png

Basically, I agree with you.

But then I think "Melreese". Is the differential "City of Miami" vs. "Metro-Dade"? Or is it usage (Melreese wasn't used that much when you and I were in law school, but I haven't lived in Dade for a while)?

When I was an undergrad, though, I dreamed of a UM football stadium in Tropical. That was the 80s/90s...times have changed...
melreese is a ****ty golf course that is under used, it does have baseball fields, a pool and other amenities. the difference is that all of that will conserved because the stadium is significantly smaller and there will be significant underground parking. in fact, one of the selling points of the deal is that there will be a 60 acre open area field for tree huggers to feel in unison with the earth.

to build a 60k or 70k stadium at tropical would require a ton of structured parking or taking almost the entire park for parking.

As long as votes pass, they will redo all of tropical park into a “entertainment center” of sorts.. stadium, local restaurants, and other ****e.. if people want another park they can just build one in Doral or some ****e
nah. parks are for neighborhoods. it makes no sense for someone in westchester to go 7 miles to doral to go to a park. the votes won't pass., not at the commission nor county wide.

Advertisement
Pretty bad. Lol.
That's because it's been there a hundred years. Kind of like how people largely accepted the trafiic around the Orange Bowl because there's nothing you can do about it, but putting up a new stadium is whole different story.

That's because it's been there a hundred years. Kind of like how people largely accepted the trafiic around the Orange Bowl because there's nothing you can do about it, but putting up a new stadium is whole different story.
The traffic everywhere in Los Angeles is pretty terrible. It’s like every highway is the Palmetto.

Honestly, the Orange Bowl traffic wasn't really that bad. It got backed up in the immediate area around the stadium because the city just wasn’t built to accommodate a 70,000 seat stadium but it wasn’t unbearable. If you knew the area, you could get in and out fairly easily. Everyone wasn’t funneled through one entrance/exit point

The traffic everywhere in Los Angeles is pretty terrible. It’s like every highway is the Palmetto.

Honestly, the Orange Bowl traffic wasn't really that bad. It got backed up in the immediate area around the stadium because the city just wasn’t built to accommodate a 70,000 seat stadium but it wasn’t unbearable. If you knew the area, you could get in and out fairly easily. Everyone wasn’t funneled through one entrance/exit point
But can you imagine people accepting the idea of parking on someone's lawn with a brand new stadium? People accept things evolving into a certain way and having to accomodate, they won't tolerate building that into the beginning.

Advertisement
Back