Votes: 11 2.4%
  • Coral Gables Senior High School

Votes: 32 6.9%
  • Tropical Park

Votes: 300 64.5%
  • None of the Above

Votes: 71 15.3%

• Total voters
Lord. I am almost positive that was the street. Not a forgettable name.

Yeah. Kumquat is a block north, then you have Loquat. Then Avocado. I had never even heard of a loquat when I moved there.

Our house was rebuilt right after Andrew hit, so it was in pretty good shape, new zoning laws, etc. I remember the first time we had to break out the brand new hurricane shutters, we had no idea WTF we were doing. They were those huge corrugated metal types that were supposed to slide into brackets above and below all the glass doors and windows (first and second floor). We almost died from dehydration, trying to get all those things put up before the storm, then it turned north and largely missed Miami.

Advertisement
It's off season and all we do is complain about our lack of assistant coaches. I heard businesses were leaving Sunset Place and thought that would be an ideal location for a University of Miami stadium. Maybe I'm wrong.
Do the other improvements first. People will come to the rock next season.

No it isnt....and no there's not a single unit of multifamily in that area I outlined..... we're talking about 120-140 homes that are all single family, a gas station, and a tire recycler....Ruiz said he wanted to make a village. There's also a massive 3 stage affordable housing project by related group going in across the street with 300+ housing units. The residents would be easy to move and it would greatly help their community to have this there.
Why not talk about bulldozing 120-140 homes and a couple of businesses in Coral Gables within walking distance from campus instead. I work down the street from the site you outlined and I've worked in social services in Miami-Dade for 30 years. It is not easy to move the residents. They're not cattle or sheep and they have roots in the community. They don't need Ruiz to build them a village and they definitely don't need their homes bulldozed to build a stadium that won't benefit the community. Moving forward with more planned affordable housing in that area is what is needed. Tropical Park, as I see it, is the only reasonable option. It's a huge park that could accommodate a $50,000 seat stadium without much disruption to the amenities the park already provides. The park can be approached from 826/874 north or south, Bird Road, Miller Drive, and Galloway Road all of which are already equipped to handle a lot of traffic. They will address entry/exit in the proposed design I'm sure.

Why not talk about bulldozing 120-140 homes and a couple of businesses in Coral Gables within walking distance from campus instead. I work down the street from the site you outlined and I've worked in social services in Miami-Dade for 30 years. It is not easy to move the residents. They're not cattle or sheep and they have roots in the community. They don't need Ruiz to build them a village and they definitely don't need their homes bulldozed to build a stadium that won't benefit the community. Moving forward with more planned affordable housing in that area is what is needed. Tropical Park, as I see it, is the only reasonable option. It's a huge park that could accommodate a $50,000 seat stadium without much disruption to the amenities the park already provides. The park can be approached from 826/874 north or south, Bird Road, Miller Drive, and Galloway Road all of which are already equipped to handle a lot of traffic. They will address entry/exit in the proposed design I'm sure.
false, tropical park is not a reasonable option. if anything, it is an unreasonable option. a public park, as a matter of principle, should not be used for a football stadium. there are thousands of kids and families that use the park every day and you would take that away by building a stadium. not reasonable.

Advertisement
false, tropical park is not a reasonable option. if anything, it is an unreasonable option. a public park, as a matter of principle, should not be used for a football stadium. there are thousands of kids and families that use the park every day and you would take that away by building a stadium. not reasonable.
Knocking down houses where hundreds of kids and families live is a reasonable option?

The shopping center that I am talking about is 43 acres. Take the whole block of land, including the fast-food out-parcels and the Infiniti overflow lot. It is 4 city blocks by 4 city blocks, same size as the old OB (north to south, from NW 7th Street to NW 11th Street, and from east to west, from NW 37th Avenue to NW 39th Avenue, including the "courts" in between each avenue).

respectfully, it is not 43 acres. it is 7.6 acres. see below.

shop center.PNG

It's a fair point, but you're re-framing the problem and the solution.

One of the primary reasons for an on-campus stadium is "the students can't get to Hard Rock." If the stadium were moved on-campus or closer, the reason wouldn't be to ***** the non-305 residents but rather to make the games more accessible to the students.
The problem is that there are significantly more than 10,000 local alumni in Broward and WPB. They outnumber our student body multiple times over. You don't do this for the students because even if you had every single student show up, it's an insignificant number. Keep in mind, the students don't consistently show up to the Watsco Center for basketball and that's right on campus.

Advertisement
hilarious. hilarious. hilarious.

have you ever heard the city of key biscayne residents complain about the tennis center and later the boat show?

one way in and one way out of the key, unless you plan to arrive via boat.

and have you heard of the Matheson family who deeded the property to the county with restrictions and sued the county a few years ago when the county tried to expand the foot print of the tennis center and lost, causing the 2 week tennis open to move to, guess where?, Hard Rock Stadium.

you guys live in a video game world.
Yeah my close friends who own ULTRA just saw first hand why it's not a good idea to try to have 50,000 people enter Key Biscayne at one time. It was a mess to say the least.

We keep comparing to the L.A. Coliseum, but is that an outlier as far as revenue? It's an iconic location. I don't think Nascar will be suggesting having the New Ruiz Family Orange Bowl host a race. If you're a concert organizer, are you going to rent the NRFOB or HRS?

No, they are not an outlier.

Here’s my ?, b/c I don’t like the Cane on Cane (Dade vs. Broward) talk. At the end of the day, we’re all Canes fan & I know for sure The Univ dgaf about where we live, as long as we support.

W/ that being said, a lot of counter arguments I see have been of selfish nature, namely traffic & convenience. My ? is, & have always been what’s in the best interest of The University, financially.

I’ve asked this ? several times & have yet to get a response, so I’ll ask it again: Do anyone know if we’re making a profit being lessors at HRS? Like do the school making $ off of parking, concessions, Club LIV, luxury seating, & if so, do anyone know if we’re in the black or red when it comes to how much we pay vs. revenue we generate?

I’m all about maximizing revenue & growth. I’m hardwired to think long term vs today. Im going to assume if our AD openly said it would be good if we had our own stadium, that wasn't some tongue & cheek statement. I’m pretty sure he knows the benefit, financially, of having ur own stadium as either an outright owner or operator, as opposed to being a tenant.

I always ask, what’s better, a home owner or renter? Sure a homeowner is responsible for more chit, but all that equity built up is far more important than throwing money down the drain & being at the mercy of ur property mgr/landlord.

Advertisement
Knocking down houses where hundreds of kids and families live is a reasonable option?

Build newer and better housing. This would not be anywhere close to the first time when older and/or substandard buildings have been replaced with newer buildings, nor has this been limited to low-income areas. Happens in South Beach too.

respectfully, it is not 43 acres. it is 7.6 acres. see below.
I've cropped tighter than you and I'm coming up with almost 31 acres... 1339122 sq/ft divided by 43560 (sq/ft per acre) = 30.74 acres. The size is basically the same as the LoanDepot Park

Screen Shot 2022-02-09 at 8.10.10 PM.png

Screen Shot 2022-02-09 at 8.19.59 PM.png

Advertisement
I've cropped tighter than you and I'm coming up with almost 31 acres... 1339122 sq/ft divided by 43560 (sq/ft per acre) = 30.74 acres. The size is basically the same as the LoanDepot Park

View attachment 177329

View attachment 177330
you are right. i used the adjusted area of the lot, not the lot size. so it is about 42 acres. that would big enough to build a stadium, but not big enough to contain all the parking required. thank you for the correction. apologizes to @TheOriginalCane

View attachment 177329

View attachment 177330

And I took the western edge out to NW 39th Avenue, since a good chunk of that is the delivery area for the back of the shopping center, and it is 43 acres. Only the BUILDING is 7 acres. If you include the entire parking lot, the outparcels, and the delivery areas, it is 43 acres, same size as the old Orange Bowl.

you are right. i used the adjusted area of the lot, not the lot size. so it is about 42 acres. that would big enough to build a stadium, but not big enough to contain all the parking required. thank you for the correction. apologizes to @TheOriginalCane

No problem-o, my friend, you know I have love for ya! Sorry, I was already in the process of responding when I saw your post.

You know me, I'm a "find the compromise" kind of a guy, thanks to the "Negotiation" class in law school ("someone wants the fruit of the orange, someone wants the peel of the orange").

I am trying to tie Magic City, the shopping center, and Melreese/InterMiami together as a whole sporting area (plus Marlins Park to the east), and there would be plenty of stuff that the Ruiz family could buy to design the "retail/dining/entertainment" portion, perhaps on the east side of Douglas Road.

Anyhow, it's just my suggestion for trying to kill 10 birds with one stone.

Advertisement
Back