Votes: 11 2.4%
  • Coral Gables Senior High School

Votes: 32 6.9%
  • Tropical Park

Votes: 300 64.5%
  • None of the Above

Votes: 71 15.3%

• Total voters
There were some whoppers since 89 but that's widely accepted as the loudest game aside from 85 Bears. Where the lie?
man my ears were ringing for days after that game. Loudest NFL game I've ever experienced in my life.

Advertisement
Nice rebuttal

Appreciate it.

I don't hate Joe Robbie/Hard Rock.

I just have a couple of strong concerns. The first was Joe Robbie's vision. I remember going to the first Blockbuster Bowl and reading something about how Joe Robbie wanted FOUR THINGS for the stadium: NFL, MLB, World Cup, and a bowl game. Even before that, I hated multi-purpose stadiums (including my beloved/hated old Busch Stadium in St. Louis, what with its artificial turf and tarp machine that nearly killed Vince Coleman). And when I would sit in the 400s section at Joe Robbie, or even in the back of the 100s section, I felt soooooo far from the field.

The other concern I have is with the current ownership of Hard Rock, and how they are developing the site with tennis and F1 and the Dolphins practice facility. UM has literally become the fourth priority. That doesn't mean I hate anyone, it's just a reflection of the accurate facts. I started at UM in 1986. My entire experience at that time coincided with NOT having to share a stadium with the Dolphins. The OB might not have been UM property, but it felt like it was ours. So, yes, I'd like to have that again, regardless of the "But it will be a tin-can ****hole" Bros. Regardless of the attendance smack. Regardless of the debate between Dade Bros and Broward Bros and Palm Beach Bros. I'm a god**** Orange County Bro.

Fvck all that. I want a home for UM where we are the #1 priority. Fvck geography. Fvck economics. Fvck p-analytics and corrupt p-oliticians. I don't give a **** if the thing holds 25K, I'll pay whatever it takes for my tickets to my alma mater and I'll show up, even if I have to drive or fly or take the Brightline.

Finally, let's not misunderstand each other. I love ALL the fans and supporters of the University of Miami. I realize a ton of CIS posters didn't have the great chance to actually go to UM, and I wish everyone who loves UM could spend a few years on the campus to appreciate it the way that I do. But anyone who is dismissive of the fact that ALL university athletics programs, from the Gaytors and SemenHoles to the Ducks and the Longhorns to the Suckeyes and the Mountainqueeeers, we ALL rely on our students (and eventual alums) as our lifeblood. UM may not have as many students or alums, but we support and donate disproportionately, and not just to Athletics. ****, even now, our biggest athletic benefators are two families with MULTIPLE members of the family who are UM alums (Ruiz family, Mas family).

So let's stop all the hating and extremism over athletic facilities. Some of us just want UM to have its own place, regardless of whether it is realistic or feasible or p-olitically popular.

Oh, and fvck Billy Corben (even though I own several of his documentaries) and fvck David Samson.

Appreciate it.

I don't hate Joe Robbie/Hard Rock.

I just have a couple of strong concerns. The first was Joe Robbie's vision. I remember going to the first Blockbuster Bowl and reading something about how Joe Robbie wanted FOUR THINGS for the stadium: NFL, MLB, World Cup, and a bowl game. Even before that, I hated multi-purpose stadiums (including my beloved/hated old Busch Stadium in St. Louis, what with its artificial turf and tarp machine that nearly killed Vince Coleman). And when I would sit in the 400s section at Joe Robbie, or even in the back of the 100s section, I felt soooooo far from the field.

The other concern I have is with the current ownership of Hard Rock, and how they are developing the site with tennis and F1 and the Dolphins practice facility. UM has literally become the fourth priority. That doesn't mean I hate anyone, it's just a reflection of the accurate facts. I started at UM in 1986. My entire experience at that time coincided with NOT having to share a stadium with the Dolphins. The OB might not have been UM property, but it felt like it was ours. So, yes, I'd like to have that again, regardless of the "But it will be a tin-can ****hole" Bros. Regardless of the attendance smack. Regardless of the debate between Dade Bros and Broward Bros and Palm Beach Bros. I'm a god**** Orange County Bro.

Fvck all that. I want a home for UM where we are the #1 priority. Fvck geography. Fvck economics. Fvck p-analytics and corrupt p-oliticians. I don't give a **** if the thing holds 25K, I'll pay whatever it takes for my tickets to my alma mater and I'll show up, even if I have to drive or fly or take the Brightline.

Finally, let's not misunderstand each other. I love ALL the fans and supporters of the University of Miami. I realize a ton of CIS posters didn't have the great chance to actually go to UM, and I wish everyone who loves UM could spend a few years on the campus to appreciate it the way that I do. But anyone who is dismissive of the fact that ALL university athletics programs, from the Gaytors and SemenHoles to the Ducks and the Longhorns to the Suckeyes and the Mountainqueeeers, we ALL rely on our students (and eventual alums) as our lifeblood. UM may not have as many students or alums, but we support and donate disproportionately, and not just to Athletics. ****, even now, our biggest athletic benefators are two families with MULTIPLE members of the family who are UM alums (Ruiz family, Mas family).

So let's stop all the hating and extremism over athletic facilities. Some of us just want UM to have its own place, regardless of whether it is realistic or feasible or p-olitically popular.

Oh, and fvck Billy Corben (even though I own several of his documentaries) and fvck David Samson.
I grew up on the campus. My brother was a ZBT and a UM Phi Beta kappa grad. Was in class with Kelly even though Kelly was hardly ever in class. I unfortunately didn't take school seriously and got stuck going to Miami Dade. I miss the days of the OB shaking and the no blocky blocky parking but I've evolved and realized how lucky we are that the Dolphins let us use their home. Hard Rock was crap before the upgrades and roof and now it's quite amazing. I also realize that Coral Gables will never and I mean never have a stadium since I work down there and work with building officials. They laugh when I bring it up. I wish we could focus more on the facilities and team which is exactly what Mario is doing. Tropical park is really our only answer unless we can somehow get rid of the Marlins. Now that would be ideal.

Ruiz and Mas need to buy Coral Gables High School, bulldoze it, and build a stadium there. There are many other high schools but there is only one Miami Hurricanes football team. Those kids can go somewhere else.

And as for Coral Gables permits, this is Miami Dade ... just buy off a few key votes and you can get anything you want. Grease a couple palms and you're good.

Not sure if serious.

I grew up on the campus. My brother was a ZBT and a UM Phi Beta kappa grad. Was in class with Kelly even though Kelly was hardly ever in class. I unfortunately didn't take school seriously and got stuck going to Miami Dade. I miss the days of the OB shaking and the no blocky blocky parking but I've evolved and realized how lucky we are that the Dolphins let us use their home. Hard Rock was crap before the upgrades and roof and now it's quite amazing. I also realize that Coral Gables will never and I mean never have a stadium since I work down there and work with building officials. They laugh when I bring it up. I wish we could focus more on the facilities and team which is exactly what Mario is doing. Tropical park is really our only answer unless we can somehow get rid of the Marlins. Now that would be ideal.

See, that's what the board needs, people sharing their different perspectives and experience, not just random opinions that are not based on real knowledge.

Definitely went to a few ZBT parties back in the 80s, including the infamous Arnie-Girnun-for-President party, the one that "wasn't a Student Government party" party.

I pretty much agree with your conclusions on Coral Gables and Tropical. I think the only thing I disagree with you on if "feeling lucky to use the Dolphins home". We pay rent (in the form of revenue-share), so we do contribute to the overall revenue/profit of Hard Rock Stadium, and yet we keep getting squeezed into a smaller and smaller area. That's all. I thought when the Marlins left, it would be a pretty nice home JUST FOR FOOTBALL, but we don't have that any longer.

Again, just my opinion on the situation, but I certainly respect your thoughts on this.

Advertisement
Let me give you some numerical context.

Per the rules of soccer, field-size can vary (kinda like baseball). The minimum size of a soccer pitch is 50 yards wide by 100 yards long. The maximum size of a soccer pitch is 100 yards wide by 130 yards long. MLS requires at least 70 yards wide by 110 yards long.

An American football playing surface is 53.33 yards wide by 120 yards long (including end zones).

So when Joe Robbie built the stadium to host both football and World Cup, he went for the maximum size. The length of the field was fine (didn't have to add much to the end zones to go from 120 yards to 130 yards), but he made it MUCH wider to accommodate the 100 yard width favored in international play. Even when you account for the non-playing parts of the sidelines, which are bigger for football than soccer, it was still a wider field than he would have built if he was only building for soccer.

Here are the most recent purpose-built soccer pitches in the US:

Nashville (2022) - 75 yards wide by 120 yards long
Columbus (2021) - 75 yards wide by 120 yards long
Austin (2021) - 75 yards wide by 115 yards long
Cincinnati (2021) - 75 yards wide by 110 yards long
Minnesota (2019) - 75 yards wide by 115 yards long
DC (2018) - 75 yards wide by 115 yards long
LAFC (2018) - 75 yards wide by 115 yards long
Orlando (2017) - 75 yards wide by 120 yards long

And here are MLS teams that play in football stadiums in the US:

Charlotte (2022) - unknown pitch size (football stadium opened in 1996)
Atlanta (2017) - 75 yards wide by 115 yards long (football stadium opened in 2017)
Seattle (2009) - 74 yards wide by 114 yards long (football stadium opened in 2002)
New England (2002) - 75 yards wide by 115 yards long (football stadium opened in 2002)
Chicago (1998) - 74 yards wide by 115 yards long (football stadium opened in 1924)

Ultimately, while New England and Atlanta are the only 2 football stadiums that contemplated football/soccer when built, nearly every field is the same width (except for evil Yankee Stadium, which actually falls below the MLS requirements with a 68 yard wide pitch, regardless of the lies they tell about it being 70 yards wide).

So the soccer playing surfaces are 22 yards wider. (75 yards vs. 53 yards, rounded) Just under 11 yards on each side. When you factor in the wider NFL/college football sidelines, it's very comparable.

The original problem was that Joe Robbie built a stadium to accomodate a 100 yard wide pitch, which has been partially addressed by filling in the sideline seats in the lower bowl (building more seating closer to the field).
Let's not forget, Joe Robbie was begging dade county politicos for Orange Bowl upgrades.
They kept flipping him off, "where you gonna go" .
He went, N.W corner of dade with his own dough!
Them ol' county commissioners still have **** in their mouths they opened so wide!

There were some whoppers since 89 but that's widely accepted as the loudest game aside from 85 Bears. Where the lie?
'85 Bears Monday night game and San Diego Chargers Playoff games were the loudest games that I went to. Vinny Testaverde / Brian Bosworth Oklahoma game was real close.

Advertisement
'85 Bears Monday night game and San Diego Chargers Playoff games were the loudest games that I went to. Vinny Testaverde / Brian Bosworth Oklahoma game was real close.
I remember the Charger playoff game. I was just a kid but that game was incredible. I didn't get to go to the Bears game because I didn't live in Miami at the time. I don't know when it was but I remember a Steelers game we didn't even get into til the 3rd quarter because the traffic was so ****ed up. A modern day purpose built Orange Bowl with some sort of roof would be incredible. A Miami version of Allegiant Stadium would be Halle Berry ****... Move the Marlins now.

Do you mean this track?

Not sure “envy” is the right word. Perhaps, “laughing stock” is a better description.

I’ve been to several F1 races, as my former company used to be one of the sponsors in Long Beach, CA. It’s always been well received. I’ve been up close & personal w/ F1 cars, & no grip on the track w/ these performance vehicles is no bueno. The amount of speed, torque these cars possess, they absolutely need ideal road conditions. They hit corners & turns at an enormous amount of speed.

How do you f-ck up the one thing that matters about a car race? Only the Dolphins lol smh

Advertisement
I’ve been to several F1 races, as my former company used to be one of the sponsors in Long Beach, CA. It’s always been well received. I’ve been up close & personal w/ F1 cars, & no grip on the track w/ these performance vehicles is no bueno. The amount of speed, torque these cars possess, they absolutely need ideal road conditions. They hit corners & turns at an enormous amount of speed.
So far so good... watching the race now on ESPN+....No issues I can see as of now... good clean racing... The track actually looks good...They've hit over 200+MPH in some spots but yea it's a tad tight in others but nothing that looks unbearable by any means...
And IT'S FREAKING PACKED..lotta people watching...
First pit stop happened... 2.6 sec.... Wow...

How do you f-ck up the one thing that matters about a car race? Only the Dolphins lol smh
Come on ... what they have put together is pretty spectacular. A lot of professional guidance went into putting this thing together. New racing surfaces in Miami heat generally take time to get established.

So far so good... watching the race now on ESPN+....No issues I can see as of now... good clean racing... The track actually looks good...They've hit over 200+MPH in some spots but yea it's a tad tight in others but nothing that looks unbearable by any means...
And IT'S FREAKING PACKED..lotta people watching...
First pit stop happened... 2.6 sec.... Wow...

Yeah; I love some F1. I’m peeping it & it looks to be a solid track, although I’ve seen them throttle down a lot more on this track hitting the turns than some others, but overall it’s a good clean race. Love the crowd there. F1 has a certain “type of” crowd vs. NASCAR, honestly.

Advertisement
Yeah; I love some F1. I’m peeping it & it looks to be a solid track, although I’ve seen them throttle down a lot more on this track hitting the turns than some others, but overall it’s a good clean race. Love the crowd there. F1 has a certain “type of” crowd vs. NASCAR, honestly.
gatsby GIF

Nascar jumped the shark several years ago for a lot of people. Once the only difference between the cars was the manufacturer's stickers on the car, other racing, like F1, became just as interesting.

Nascar jumped the shark several years ago for a lot of people. Once the only difference between the cars was the manufacturer's stickers on the car, other racing, like F1, became just as interesting.
Nascar just needs to stop trying to restrict what cars can do and just let them run..... Let Drivers drive man.... I still watch but it's become somewhat stale... Sponsors have taken notice and started to bail out ...

Come on ... what they have put together is pretty spectacular. A lot of professional guidance went into putting this thing together. New racing surfaces in Miami heat generally take time to get established.
It was cool to see.

Maybe the racers were referring to this:

Advertisement
Back