Votes: 11 2.4%
  • Coral Gables Senior High School

Votes: 32 6.9%
  • Tropical Park

Votes: 300 64.5%
  • None of the Above

Votes: 71 15.3%

• Total voters
Don't get me wrong, Joe Robbie (it will always be JRS to me, dammit) is a fine stadium but when the lease is up in 2032 or so, it will have been 15+ years since the last facelift. It's a modern stadium now, but it's going to be showing its age. Ross will almost certainly have passed on by then. What if the next ownership group drags its feet in upgrading? Not a **** thing UM can do about it. A lot of fans have forgotten that prior to the major renovations in the 2015-2017 time frame, the stadium was the butt of a lot of jokes because it was so outdated and sterile.

The current lease is a relative bargain at 4 million per year, but I would bet a box of donuts the next lease is going to be at least 8-10 million per year, likely for 15-20 years. So looking at a cost of somewhere between 150-200 million total to lease. That is roughly what it would cost to expand the planned stadium up from 30k seats to around 55k. If the overall cost between leasing and buying are in the same ballpark (puns!) I think it is a smarter long term decision to be co-owner of a brand new stadium. UM would have a lot more control over renovations, events, concessions, etc. plus it would be much closer to campus. There is something to be said about the simplicity of another 20 yr lease, but if the city has already approved the plans for a brand new soccer stadium, I think UM should jump on board.
So we should go from playing in and sharing a stadium that hosts super bowls, college playoffs, and national championship games to sharing a stadium with a soccer team that averages 14,000 fans a game. OK

Advertisement
its exactly a real estate deal. it isn't about the stadium but the restaurant hotel etc development.

they own the land in Overtown I believe but they don't want to build there.

also, they have stated before that they don't want to build a large stadium with 20-25 at most in mind (they wont fill past that and they want it to be loud). this was a stupid idea thrown out there by a commissioner who is a moron. I don't see rad going to this **** after hes been talking about increasing attendance at games. either way, idk how many times its been said but soccer fields don't provide good football sight lines. you may be closer to the field but you're farther away at the same bc of how wide soccer fields are. part of the reason why the sight lines sucked at Joe Robbie was bc they built it with hosting soccer events in mind. it was never meant to be a football only stadium but multi purpose

• My understanding was the Overtown real estate is not big enough for a 25k stadium with necessary parking.

• They could rebuild Booker T. vertically on the Mas plots in Overtown and likely get support from the Mayor to do that if they really wanted to. I think had Mas bought the Marlins we'd have found our way back there with some seating renovations/modifications.

• They have modular/retractible seating systems to address sight-lines issues between football and futbol..

The VT game was an awful look. The place was empty. The roof holds in noise but it still looks/feels like we're playing in a dystopian setting where most of the world's population has been wiped out and there's very few of us remaining.

1354532406.0.jpg

M7WKL3BTPRH7ZGOJLJHCMROLI4.jpg
I was talking about the VT game the year we played ND. Dude come on.

Advertisement
  • My understanding was the Overtown real estate is not big enough for a 25k stadium with necessary parking.

• They could rebuild Booker T. vertically on the Mas plots in Overtown and likely get support from the Mayor to do that if they really wanted to. I think had Mas bought the Marlins we'd have found our way back there with some seating renovations/modifications.

• They have modular/retractible seating systems to address sight-lines issues between football and futbol..

did the mas group say it wasn't large enough for 25k? I thought it was. either way, this whole thing was about the RE and development value not so much stadium.

to the mas and marlins, tho I don't like Samson its actually funny that he did end up winning the bid. he was told by the marlins and manfred that his bid won over Sherman. the issue with Mas was that he didn't have the necessary cash to go through w the deal which opened the door for Jeter and sherman.

also, the sightline tech may improve that part but I don't think they ever wanted over 25k from the beginning. it was just a stupid comment by the corolla mfer at the meeting. to that part, I get it. I wouldn't want over 25 and pushing it to 55 for MLS. it doesn't draw that way and it will never draw close to that to fill up the place in miami. inter isn't the heat or fins. they don't have the cushion to always draw decently well and they're not one of the two most popular sports in America. the idea of it all is cool w the soccer stadium, but well see how it gets done with it being so close to the airport.

on top of that, miami really isn't a sports town. well never consistently draw for lesser viewed sports.

Last edited:
Advertisement
I am for whatever will trigger Billy Corben the most, so let's not lose focus here, and find some public schools, day cares, affordable housing, or skilled nursing facilities we can demo.

lol. I actually thought this time he wasn't being ridiculous. he didn't actually advocate for no stadium. he didn't care. it was more that it wasn't put up for bidding to all developers to see what the best deal on the market would be along with the lease terms. no one (not the banana republic crew of politicians nor mas group) wanted it up for bidding.

This is great. All the stake holders should come together as a unified group and use their collective influence to get the very best possible location. I'm sure we could do better than Tropical Park & Melreese.

it would be cool for UM to get their own stadium but I don't think it will happen in the area. tropical park is the best spot for it but I think that ship sailed. for 6-7 games, idk if its even worth it. it will never happen in CG either so they'll have to find another location which at this point you're running out unless you're go farther out.

it would be cool for UM to get their own stadium but I don't think it will happen in the area. tropical park is the best spot for it but I think that ship sailed. for 6-7 games, idk if its even worth it. it will never happen in CG either so they'll have to find another location which at this point you're running out unless you're go farther out.
They should put the stadium next to Marlins Park or in Overtown. The pieces are there, and giving up the largest parcel of city real estate to build the smallest stadium for the least proven and supported team is silly if you think about it..

Advertisement
They should put the stadium next to Marlins Park or in Overtown. The pieces are there, and giving up the largest parcel of city real estate to build the smallest stadium for the least proven and supported team is silly if you think about it..

the entire thing is silly for Inter esp since the ftl stadium was completely fine esp for what they draw and their limited success.

mas greased the politicians and wants this for the real estate. he has plans to add a ton of entertainment to the land with a stadium side piece really. airport is right next door so perfect haven for tourists who don't want to stay too far out. he doesn't actually care if anyone sits in the stadium imo. thats more beckham

Samson gave good insight into how the process is done w the city. the only time they ever call it to vote is when the team owners know they have enough. he said the marlins kept pushing off the vote for the stadium until Samson knew he had the votes. once he had that, he called the vote right away.

this sucks for college games​

Review of Hard Rock Stadium
Reviewed October 2, 2018
the way the stadium sets up for college is totally wrong they amplify the sound of music constantly and it takes away from the college experience for the fans , they forget we are not there to hear guns and roses or hip hop we want to hear the sounds of the bands the student the refs the mascot etc.. also the pricing for food and beverages is the same as the pro games, exp 5 dollars for bottle water is ridiculous 12 dollars or more for a beer is also sick not to mention the price of food
Date of experience: September 2018

Ask jrios4444 about Hard Rock Stadium

Idiotic whiny review..
This is Miami, not some hick town in Nebraska or Alabama.... the cost of food and drinks are equivalent. If you want $1 beer, go to an Overtown bar.
Most spectators who come to Canes games are working adults and family... not college kids on Ramen noodle budgets...

Change the music if you want to... I don't care. Don't need a new stadium for that.

Advertisement
Idiotic whiny review..
This is Miami, not some hick town in Nebraska or Alabama.... the cost of food and drinks are equivalent. If you want $1 beer, go to an Overtown bar.
Most spectators who come to Canes games are working adults and family... not college kids on Ramen noodle budgets...

Change the music if you want to... I don't care. Don't need a new stadium for that.
LOL

2C8A13BE-6823-47E6-B1E2-779C063FE975.jpeg

Idiotic whiny review..

So eff the kids that actually go to Miami huh?

Advertisement
Back