Pittsburgh at Miami January 12th, 2020 on the ACCN (Pregame predictions, game thread and post game reactions)

Up 16 and up 18 is about as good as it gets when you only play 7 guys. They don't have enough gas in the tank to finish opponents.
Freshman can make difference when they play.
Sam only played 40 minutes. Does Coach L know it was a 40 minute game? 😂. SMH.
So Coach L admits to overcoaching the freshman. Coach L sits freshman for not running his play and causing a turnover. Players should be accountable but being benched the rest of the game is excessive especially when there are only 8 guys available. I am glad Lykes fouled out, maybe Coach L will realize some of this is due to his bad decisions. Coach L wants the freshman to be accountable but he needs to be accountable for his lack of roster management skills.
Torching the zone in practice, against who? Walk ons and managers.

Last edited:
Advertisement

What Harlond is saying is that players play better when they are on the court and playing minutes. It is hard to redeem yourself on the bench.
Coach L is a one and done coach when it comes to turnovers.
Harlond's impersonation of Coach L is hilarious and spot on.

Advertisement
Beverly is starting to adjust to this level and the necessary style of play. That was the standout aspect of tonight's game, other than disbelief that any ACC opponent could allow this Canes team to go on two extended runs like that.

Lykes needs to stop picking up a silly foul at the outset of these games. Naturally it's going to burn you eventually

Expectations are way too low then. Not per 40 minutes, he actually played 40 minutes.

Doing something "per 40 minutes" is much easier than in real 40 minutes of game time, because "per 40 minutes" doesn't include fatigue.

So you're saying the reason Miami hasn't had better bigs historically is "expectations"? Lol. Yes that must be it. The reason I don't live in a mansion or own a mega yacht is also "expectations".

BTW, go check the NCAA leaderboards and count the number of P5 bigs averaging 20 and 10 per 40 minutes. There are only a handful.

Your initial statement had no basis in reality.

Advertisement
You're forgetting our greatest player ever, Rick Barry, of course. NBA and College HoF player. 20 and 10 were Rick's numbers for the first half of a game. Look it up.

I did, impressive.

However, Barry's last year here was 55 years ago. I don't think he's a relevant data point - especially not when comparing to Rodney Miller!

I did, impressive.

However, Barry's last year here was 55 years ago. I don't think he's a relevant data point - especially not when comparing to Rodney Miller!
I agree with you about relevancy. That was a LONG time ago. Also, to put Rick's numbers in context, the team often topped 120 points (sometimes as many as 140) in a game; (the opposition a little less). Not much defense was played.

People were somewhat shocked when Rick won ROY in his first year as a pro. Miami was a hard program to gauge players' skills on, playing that run and gun style, against questionable opposition. Turned out he was a truly great NBA professional. Made the All Star team pretty much every year he played. Got a World Championship ring along with Playoff MVP with Golden State.

Advertisement

Up 16 and up 18 is about as good as it gets when you only play 7 guys. They don't have enough gas in the tank to finish opponents.
So Coach L admits to overcoaching the freshman. Coach L sits freshman for not running his play and causing a turnover. Players should be accountable but being benched the rest of the game is excessive especially when there are only 8 guys available. I am glad Lykes fouled out, maybe Coach L will realize some of this is due to his bad decisions. Coach L wants the freshman to be accountable but he needs to be accountable for his lack of roster management skills.

You have some weird ax to grind against coach L lately. Regarding minutes, he listed Sam and a couple of other guys, then called them all ironmen. Based on the context, it seems obvious that he said the word "only" ironically.

Bev played great in the last few minutes of the game. He has played poorly more often than not this year, and L has been hard on him. One can look at his clutch time performance last night and say either, "see! He should've been playing more all along" or "L's strict approach and discipline is starting to pay off with this kid". You chose the former, but I think the latter is more likely.

L has not been perfect, but the team is somehow 10-5 vs. the #8 schedule in the country (per BPI). It's weird how much he is criticized on these boards, especially given the lackluster history of this program.

Doing something "per 40 minutes" is much easier than in real 40 minutes of game time, because "per 40 minutes" doesn't include fatigue.

So you're saying the reason Miami hasn't had better bigs historically is "expectations"? Lol. Yes that must be it. The reason I don't live in a mansion or own a mega yacht is also "expectations".

BTW, go check the NCAA leaderboards and count the number of P5 bigs averaging 20 and 10 per 40 minutes. There are only a handful.

Your initial statement had no basis in reality.

7 points and 7 rebounds in not impressive in 40 minutes of a Division 1 basketball game. I am not buying it. There is a skillset or conditioning problem if a 18 to 20 year old kid cannot score over 20 points and grab over 10 rebounds when you are close to 7 feet tall.

I don't need analytics to tell me there was a lot of unproductive minutes. The stat sheet says enough.

You have some weird ax to grind against coach L lately. Regarding minutes, he listed Sam and a couple of other guys, then called them all ironmen. Based on the context, it seems obvious that he said the word "only" ironically.

Bev played great in the last few minutes of the game. He has played poorly more often than not this year, and L has been hard on him. One can look at his clutch time performance last night and say either, "see! He should've been playing more all along" or "L's strict approach and discipline is starting to pay off with this kid". You chose the former, but I think the latter is more likely.

L has not been perfect, but the team is somehow 10-5 vs. the #8 schedule in the country (per BPI). It's weird how much he is criticized on these boards, especially given the lackluster history of this program.

My comments are what I type and press send on. In my opinion, there are way too many fans who are satisfied with participation awards instead of championship trophies. The perception of Coach L being a great coach is amplified by the failures of those before him. Miami has had 3 good years under Coach L and he has been at Miami for a decade. When does Miami take the next step where one good year every four is no longer the expectation? The expectation should be 20 plus wins every year along with a trip to the NCAA tournament in basketball (both men's and women's).

A winning record and a trip to the NCAA tournament should be the expectation for every sport at the University of Miami.

Advertisement

Starting to think the less you ask of Harlond, the worse he's gonna do. His focus definitely wanes.

What Harlond is saying is that players play better when they are on the court and playing minutes. It is hard to redeem yourself on the bench.
Coach L is a one and done coach when it comes to turnovers.
Harlond's impersonation of Coach L is hilarious and spot on.

Bev's answer, "there was no way I was coming out," in response to a question about Chris fouling out, stood out to me.

My comments are what I type and press send on. In my opinion, there are way too many fans who are satisfied with participation awards instead of championship trophies. The perception of Coach L being a great coach is amplified by the failures of those before him. Miami has had 3 good years under Coach L and he has been at Miami for a decade. When does Miami take the next step where one good year every four is no longer the expectation? The expectation should be 20 plus wins every year along with a trip to the NCAA tournament in basketball (both men's and women's).

A winning record and a trip to the NCAA tournament should be the expectation for every sport at the University of Miami.
No Coach L is a great coach. Period end of story. We have had 2 bad seasons with Coach L. One was 2013-2014 when all our good players left after the great 2013 season and last year when our recruiting class was destroyed by the FBI garbage, plus no Dewan Huell. I have read your posts over the past 6-9 months and I can tell that you're not from Miami or know much about the school or the area. However, we need as many fans as we can get, so keep rooting for the Program.

Advertisement
Back