Pitt at Miami (-4.5) 2:15 PM on the CW Saturday Jan 27

Watson is in the doghouse. I could speculate why. I seriously doubt Jim drew it up that way. Some of the on court decisions are head scratches. I do believe too many minutes is taking its toll.
No doubt. We were running on fumes by games' end today.

Wish it had worked out otherwise but I'm hard-pressed to say exactly what Watson and Casey appear to do well. Not long-range or intermediate-range shooters, not slashers to the hoop, not rebounders, not physical/great on D, not ballhandlers ...

Advertisement
Watson is in the doghouse. I could speculate why. I seriously doubt Jim drew it up that way. Some of the on court decisions are head scratches. I do believe too many minutes is taking its toll.

Watson actually not in the doghouse - at least for anything behavioral - he’s not getting minutes because they’re not satisfied with how he’s playing. I might do it differently, but since I’m not qualified to do it at all, I’m gonna continue to root for the team and not bellyache.

Watson actually not in the doghouse - at least for anything behavioral - he’s not getting minutes because they’re not satisfied with how he’s playing. I might do it differently, but since I’m not qualified to do it at all, I’m gonna continue to root for the team and not bellyache.
I’d imagine Watson and Casey portal out.

With Watson, I would suspect it is also showing in practice. Djobet gave a lot of effort this afternoon. Looking forward to seeing next game.

I’d imagine Watson and Casey portal out.
What is this team going to look like next yr. If those two portal out, and I'd assume there's a strong chance that Wooga, Omier, Pack, and possibly Cleveland leave for the pros...also seeing some sights have George in the top 10 of their mock drafts. I guess the NBA scouts are loving him from what coach L said post game...could be a whole new team

Advertisement
Interesting decision.
So Watson and Casey are healthy scratches or DNP-Coach decision on a team that lacks depth and height.
I have never been a fan of a 7 man rotation as I think 9 makes more sense but let's see what happens on Tuesdays at NC State.
Those two should play, especially since NC State presses all game long.
It will be hard to make the NCAA tournament playing only 7 guys for the rest of this season.
We haven't reach February either.

Good win at home against Pitt but they will need to get a few Quad 1 wins in February to make the NCAA tournament along with avoiding bad losses.

Advertisement
Very good first half. Patient with the offense. Played hard on D and were engaged. Did a good job of limiting Pitt's opportunities. In the second half, it was the complete opposite. Reverted back to And-1 basketball. Selfish. Going 1-on-1. Not getting paint touches. Throwing up Hail Mary's from half court. Defense disappeared, particularly latter part of the game. I'm dumbfounded to hear Coach L in his postgame interview say he thought "we played a terrific game almost from start to finish." I think Pitt scored 15 points in the last 3 minutes of the game. 15!!! Completely unacceptable. Team gets into major trouble when it lacks focus and discipline. This team needs a come to Jesus meeting. Goofiness needs to stop.

And what the **** happened to Watson (DNP), Jakai (hasn't played in a game all of January) and Casey (DNP last 2 games). Talk about regression. Wow!

A win is a win and I'll take it against a tough Pitt team, but we've got to play better if we're to get into the post season at all.

Last edited:
. Defense disappeared, particularly latter part of the game.
When these STARTING- 5-6-7 are healthy and smart and well-rested they can and should beat anyone on their best days. Said that even in mid-November. Even without Cleveland, thanks to Djobet support and our 3's, we had a decent first half of offense (despite Joseph) and defense wasn't completely horrendous...

...maybe they got a bit ****y or selfish late 2nd half, as the shot selection was far from smart. But it was the defense most responsible for the near-collapse. Sure, a different roster protocol might do us well, but I agree with those that said we just ran out of steam. Movements were lazy or labored and defense mostly stagnant and tired.

I don't know if Watson or Casey or Nwoko (or even Djobet) can alleviate that, but Cleveland coming back and our ailing guys fully healing could give us a fully functioning 5-6-7 in the remaining games. Joseph for sure has to play much much better. So even without the missing "big" man, there is hope yet this year.

Amen to that. It's what, his third year in the program? Shocked he didn't hit the portal long ago. If he values the UM experience and the degree, and hoops isn't that important, that's fine too.
Not every team will have 13 scholarship players (we have 11) getting significant minutes.

Jakai might be content to make contributions in other ways: active on scout team, in locker room, positive bench presence. A bit like Udonis Haslem almost (minus the experience).

He might be here for the scholarship, the school and to help in any way he can off (and on) the court.

Yea I’ve got a feeling there won’t be more than 3 players on this years team on next years.

NBA/Pro
Omier
Pack
Cleveland
Wooga

Portal
Jakai
Benz
Casey
Watson
1706436160014.png

1706436383577.png

Advertisement
View attachment 280986
Lol at Wooga Poplar being the #10 pick.

Lol at George being the #7 pick.

Both players are totally one dimensional at this current time. Wooga has been in college for 3 years. He’s improved every year. But he’s no where near a NBA player right now. George has only been here a few short months. I can see that potential clear as day but he is also not there… not even close

Advertisement

Ringer probably has the best draft coverage available at the moment and their most recent mock doesn't have either going in the first round

Yea I’ve got a feeling there won’t be more than 3 players on this years team on next years.

NBA/Pro
Omier
Pack
Cleveland
Wooga

Portal
Jakai
Benz
Casey
Watson

I respect your opinion and this could be true. However, this much roster turnover is not good in any way, shape or form.
To avoid this potential calamity, the coaching staff needs to play Watson, Casey and Nwoko more.
I don't think George nor Poplar turn pro but I expect Pack and Omier to depart.
Miami does need to adjust the "Small Ball" Era. Miami needs to add more height and play small during periods of the game.
There is no long term success in being small and playing a 7 man rotation. I think we have maxed out the All In Small Ball run.

NBADraft.net is just like that Walter Football website that Brad Kaaya going number one. George is nowhere near being a first rounder at this moment.

I think George, Wooga, Pack, Cleveland, and Omier would be silly to leave for the draft after this year. The only things I see happening is Casey, Robinson, and Watson hit the portal.

I respect your opinion and this could be true. However, this much roster turnover is not good in any way, shape or form.
To avoid this potential calamity, the coaching staff needs to play Watson, Casey and Nwoko more.
I don't think George nor Poplar turn pro but I expect Pack and Omier to depart.
Miami does need to adjust the "Small Ball" Era. Miami needs to add more height and play small during periods of the game.
There is no long term success in being small and playing a 7 man rotation. I think we have maxed out the All In Small Ball run.
Calamity? Dude, it's 2024. Roster turnover like this is going on everywhere in college sports. Watson and Casey are not ACC rotation players at this point and there shouldn't be a pressure to play them just because they might portal in the offseason. They need to win games and worry about roster construction in the offseason.

Advertisement
Back