Phil Steele left Canes out of his preseason Top 25

Advertisement
I love this. He is normally good but every time he is high in us we let him down lol.

I think we’ll be one of the most improved teams in the country, on account of us being one of the worst last year. Anything worse than 8-4 (9-3 should be the goal) is a monumental failure for this team.

Crazy good best-case season: 10-2.

Floor season should be: 7-5.

Lots of context in between, but those are really the min/max of what we will probably see out of this team this season.

This is actually better, IMO. I’ve followed Thor for a really long time, he is SUPER knowledgeable about **** near every team and kid in the country.

He power ranked every team in the country as of today, and has Miami 32nd. However, he had us 72nd to end last season. Aside from Colorado (from 122nd to 72nd, a rise of 50 spots), he has Miami as the team with the 2nd highest jump from last year to this year. Essentially he’s saying Colorado and Miami will be the 2 most improved teams in the country. I’m with him. The more I look at this roster and Shannon Dawson/Lance Guidry, the more I see a team that can win 8-9 games.

That list seems a bit odd to me. Texas finished 2022 ranked #6 with an 8-5 record? 6-7 Oklahoma at #24? What metrics are used for his rankings?

Advertisement
you are correct. i wouldnt even say up and coming. Gattis was the best assistant in the country the year before and no one on the staff looked like they coached any football at any pooint in their lives.
I think it’s very possible we had too many high profile coaches with egos and their personalities/styles just didn’t gel well together for whatever reason last year. I was somewhat suspicious of Gattis leaving a CFP contender to take the same gig at Miami. Sounds like people at Michigan didn’t respect him and he left salty, looking to prove himself elsewhere. Steele is a journeyman who seems far past his prime. Not sure what the deal was with Ponce. Maybe him and Gattis didn’t see eye to eye? We all know his style didn’t match the talent on the roster, but you’d think Gattis would have known that before taking the gig.

Sometimes a group of well qualified/talented people can’t work together if there are too many opinions, stubbornness, unwillingness to change for the betterment of the group, etc.

To be a Top 25 team we need to get to 9 wins (and even then it's not a given)

So if you think we're going to be an 8 win team - then you can't get mad about not being raked in the Top 25 pre-season.

Advertisement
I agree - a 9 win team usually gets it done.

But UNC & Duke both won 9 games last year and neither finished the Top 25 - so it's not 100%
I feel like even if we lost to Clemson, FSU and TAMU/UNC then we’d be a top 25 team more than likely. Agree that it’s not absolute though

Dang, its hard getting to accept how bad we were last season ...
Felt like we were stuck in the leather helmet era while rest of CFB had moved on.

Mr Steele's results from last year,
Teams ranked #'s 6-25:

'22 Ranking/Team/'23 Finish (differential)

25 Cincy- NR
24 Wake- NR
23 MSU- NR
22 PSU- #7 (15)
21 UAB- NR
20 Iowa- NR
19 Wisky- NR
18 Texas- #25 (7)
17 UCF- NR
16 USC- #12 (4)
15 Ok St- NR
14 Baylor- NR
13 NC ST- NR
12 MIAMI- NR
11 Pitt- #22 (11)
10 Oregon- #15 (5)
9 TA&M- NR
8 OU- NR
7 ND- #18 (11)
6 Utah- #10 (4)

4 out of 20 were "hits" within 10 spots.
13 not ranked at all.
18 out of 20 fared worse than the predicted ranking.

Yeah, now I'm all in on the Canes finishing ranked this year :neonu:

Last edited:
Advertisement
I feel like even if we lost to Clemson, FSU and TAMU/UNC then we’d be a top 25 team more than likely. Agree that it’s not absolute though
It’s about the finish.
We beat FSU in November and win the bowl game we will be ranked.

Advertisement
Back