Pete, your silence is deafening on the AH kids...

https://www.canesinsight.com/thread/rumph-um/96119/11#post2451697

Rumph didn't go the GA route like a lot of coaches do, but most of those coaches weren't 1st round draft picks that played in the NFL for half a decade. Instead of learning from NFL coaches, would Rumph have been better served learning under some random guy at Podunk State Seminary College? BOTH paths are legitimate.

Rumph probably knows all there is to know about the fundamentals of the position.....that I'm not worried about. I'm a little more concerned about "everything else" that goes into being a position coach in college. Learing from your own failures, successes etc. There is going to be a learning curve here and it concerns me. Hope for the best.

Advertisement
I was on the radio a couple times this week saying that things aren't looking good with them.

Just got back from from out of town and haven't been navigating the boards as frequently the last week.

I appreciate everything you are able to contribute to the site. "The Work" is fantastic and your recruiting information is accurate far more than it is not. Still, I have never bought the idea that Hebert and Slaton were coming. I don't base that on anything other than it just never rang true to me for some reason. Getting those two would be amazing and I hope I'm wrong.

The reality of all of this, is that if Rumph was not a former cane, rather than some on the board being upset the entire board would want him the **** out.

This "once a cane always a cane" pass that some people seem to be okay giving needs to go the **** away, and go the **** away fast.

Rumph NEEDS to be **** canned if we miss on all AH targets under his watch. I am in favor of it happening on signing day if we don't get salon/herbert. Ill be throwing in on the banner if we don't get the 18 studs.

We're not getting those two lineman and he's not getting fired. Rumph is to blame yet their position coach takes none of heat since we seem to want to place blame? If everybody places Heritage in the same category that we do Dwyer there would be alot less angst. Those kids aren't coming here.

There's a significant difference between AH and Dwyer. We hired AH's HC. If we hired Dwyer's HC I'd expect to get all their guys too. That's just the way this **** works everywhere except here. You hire a HS coach you get that HS coach's players.

It's amazing to me that 100% of UM fans aren't losing their minds over Rum's unprecedented failure to bring in AH players. I can't believe anyone feels the need to excuse his cataclysmic failure there. He's the anti-recruiter.

Why? Because recruiting for Miami in South Florida goes exactly like it does everywhere else in the country? The same head coach(Richt) who could get Sony Michel and Mckenzie to UGA and lead for Brian Burns before getting fired can't get a sniff from a Heritage kid. You want me to believe the same guy who all those D-1 kids transferred to play for in high school is the problem and why those same kids don't want to play for the local university? Whatever. History at other local schools would state otherwise. We were the only school to offer Walter Tucker(Heritage guy) a full football scholarship. Didn't generate any goodwill.

We hire the guy from Dwyer those kids won't come here. We put the full court press on Treon Harris late in the game and his own father wasn't enough to get him to sign with Miami. Ice's kid was coaching Antonio Calloway at Booker T. Kid went to UF. The excuse with some in that situation was Calloway was a transfer from Homestead or something. Chad Wilson who coaches at Heritage said Miami should forget about going after the big time kids in the area and focus on developing the lesser known prospects first. That attitude comes from a former player at Miami. But sure I'll lose my mind over Rumph when you yourself continue to talk about the traitorous nature of South Florida people.

Local stars have been telling us to eat a **** for years before Rumph got hired and they'll continue to do so even if we get good.

Its all about results and I understand why people are looking for someone to blame. But I'm not singling out Rumph with Heritage kids. That school doesn't want anything to do with Miami.

Last edited:
The reality of all of this, is that if Rumph was not a former cane, rather than some on the board being upset the entire board would want him the **** out.

This "once a cane always a cane" pass that some people seem to be okay giving needs to go the **** away, and go the **** away fast.

Rumph NEEDS to be **** canned if we miss on all AH targets under his watch. I am in favor of it happening on signing day if we don't get salon/herbert. Ill be throwing in on the banner if we don't get the 18 studs.

We're not getting those two lineman and he's not getting fired. Rumph is to blame yet their position coach takes none of heat since we seem to want to place blame? If everybody places Heritage in the same category that we do Dwyer there would be alot less angst. Those kids aren't coming here.

There's a significant difference between AH and Dwyer. We hired AH's HC. If we hired Dwyer's HC I'd expect to get all their guys too. That's just the way this **** works everywhere except here. You hire a HS coach you get that HS coach's players.

It's amazing to me that 100% of UM fans aren't losing their minds over Rum's unprecedented failure to bring in AH players. I can't believe anyone feels the need to excuse his cataclysmic failure there. He's the anti-recruiter.

Why? Because recruiting Miami in South Florida goes exactly like it does everywhere else in the country? The same head coach(Richt) who could get Sony Michel and Mckenzie to UGA and lead for Brian Burns before getting fired can't get a sniff from a Heritage kid. You want me to believe the same guy who all those D-1 kids transferred to play for in high school is the problem and why those same kids don't want to play for the local university? Whatever. History at other local schools would state otherwise. We were the only school to offer Walter Tucker(Heritage guy) a full football scholarship. Didn't generate any goodwill.

We hire the guy from Dwyer those kids won't come here. We put the full court press on Treon Harris late in the game and his own father wasn't enough to get him to sign with Miami. Ice's kid was coaching Antonio Calloway at Booker T. Kid went to UF. The excuse with some in that situation was Calloway was a transfer from Homestead or something. Chad Wilson who coaches at Heritage said Miami should forget about going after the big time kids in the area and focus on developing the lesser known prospects first. That attitude comes from a former player at Miami. But sure I'll lose my mind over Rumph when you yourself continue to talk about the traitorous nature of South Florida people.

Local stars have been telling us to eat a **** for years before Rumph got hired and they'll continue to do so even if we get good.

Its all about results and I understand why people are looking for someone to blame. But I'm not singling out Rumph with Heritage kids. That school doesn't want anything to do with Miami.

Real sh*t. Speaking nothing but the truth

Why? Because recruiting Miami in South Florida goes exactly like it does everywhere else in the country? The same head coach(Richt) who could get Sony Michel and Mckenzie to UGA and lead for Brian Burns before getting fired can't get a sniff from a Heritage kid. You want me to believe the same guy who all those D-1 kids transferred to play for in high school is the problem and why those same kids don't want to play for the local university? Whatever. History at other local schools would state otherwise. We were the only school to offer Walter Tucker(Heritage guy) a full football scholarship. Didn't generate any goodwill.

If all that you're saying is true, then you're implying that Mike Rumph can't help us.

Even if our missing out on these players isn't his fault, he can't do anything to help us.

And if he can't help us, why the **** is he here?? What fuggin use is the guy??

I say they should fire this dude and hire someone who CAN get us some recruits and who CAN help us win

Advertisement

Amen

And another thing...fuggg being forced to go after the "lesser known" Sourh Florida kids.

If the South Florida stars don't want to come here, then sign studs from out of state. Replace Jerry Jeudy with Jeff Thomas, not some scrub from Miami Central who can't get a "better" offer.

If all that you're saying is true, then you're implying that Mike Rumph can't help us.

Even if our missing out on these players isn't his fault, he can't do anything to help us.

I say they should fire this dude and hire someone who CAN get us some recruits and who CAN help us win

He can coach. And if he coaches well and his players look like like savages on Saturday and we win there will be a ton of DBs in South Florida that will play for Miami even if he is some weirdo who can't recruit. The current crop of '18 DBs and commits are evidence. He could have a miss for every hit with that group and still sign four potential star CBs.

He can coach. And if he coaches well and his players look like like savages on Saturday and we win there will be a ton of DBs in South Florida that will play for Miami even if he is some weirdo who can't recruit. The current crop of '18 DBs and commits are evidence. He could have a miss for every hit with that group and still sign four potential star CBs.

Last year was his first year as a position coach at the college level

We literally just plucked this dude out of high school a year ago and you want to make him out to be the coach Kool of cornerbacks?

We might as well hire a technician with a decade of experience coaching defensive backs.

Rumph can't help us in recruiting, as you say yourself, and he's green as a coach

If I were Rumph, I'd start breaking out the bags myself to land Slaton and Herbert because if the dude can't produce, he will end up fired before Spring IMO

Last edited:
Advertisement

Last year was his first year as a position coach at the college level

We literally just plucked this dude out of high school a year ago and you want to make him out to be the coach Kool of cornerbacks?

We might as well hire a technician with a decade of experience coaching defensive backs.

Rumph can't help us in recruiting, as you say yourself, and he's green as a coach

If I were Rumph, I'd start breaking out the bags myself to land Slaton and Herbert because if the dude can't produce, he will end up fired before Spring IMO

You don't have to be veteran to be a good coach. We'll exclude Corn Elder from the conversation. What did Adrian Colbert look like as a first-time corner? Malek Young developed throughout the year. In limited time Michael Jackson looked like he had grown as a player. Young coach or not there isn't any evidence he can't coach. There is actually evidence to say that he can. If kids watch Miami CBs play at a high level for two seasons they'll come to Miami. Enough of them are like Bandy where all they want to do is play for Miami as long as they're given a reason not to leave.

We've got evidence he can't recruit so far. IF Dean signs with Miami that would be two high-level corners when including Bandy in this cycle and the hope is that the final visit is enough to bring Edwards back into the fold. They don't appear to be in a rush to hand out CB offers. So either they're delusional about the situation or they're right to feel pretty good.

Last edited:

LOL.

If you think Richt is going to fire Rumph for not bringing in the Heritage kids you're mentally unstable.

0.0000000% chance that happens.

Why? Because recruiting for Miami in South Florida goes exactly like it does everywhere else in the country? The same head coach(Richt) who could get Sony Michel and Mckenzie to UGA and lead for Brian Burns before getting fired can't get a sniff from a Heritage kid. You want me to believe the same guy who all those D-1 kids transferred to play for in high school is the problem and why those same kids don't want to play for the local university? Whatever. History at other local schools would state otherwise. We were the only school to offer Walter Tucker(Heritage guy) a full football scholarship. Didn't generate any goodwill.

Why? Simple. He was the HC of all these guys, and none are following him. That's why. It's simple. If you were a doctor and I came to you with a sore throat you'd put me on a round of chemo instead of just treating me for a common cold.

You pointing to AH kids going to UGA to play for Rick does nothing to support your position on Rum. Rum wasn't at UGA. They're making a concerted effort to stay away from Rum and UM.

If Rick was still at UGA and Rum was still at AH they'd probably still be interested in UGA. If you refuse to accept that I don't know what else to tell you. It looks pretty clear if you pull the Rum homer glasses off for a minute.

Rum either poisoned the UM well with the AH kids, or once they played for him at AH they hated him and wanted nothing else to do with him. Pretty easy to see if you look at it objectively.

You can excuse a loss here or there, but to whiff on every single big time prospect from the HS you coached tells a story. If you want to blind yourself with lame excuses so you don't have to see the story that's your prerogative.

LOL at the thought of a school being against us. A HS is against a college when the HS coach there pollutes the kids. High schools don't just turn on local marquee programs on their own.

Advertisement

Why? Simple. He was the HC of all these guys, and none are following him. That's why. It's simple. If you were a doctor and I came to you with a sore throat you'd put me on a round of chemo instead of just treating me for a common cold.

You pointing to AH kids going to UGA to play for Rick does nothing to support your position on Rum. Rum wasn't at UGA. They're making a concerted effort to stay away from Rum and UM.

If Rick was still at UGA and Rum was still at AH they'd probably still be interested in UGA. If you refuse to accept that I don't know what else to tell you. It looks pretty clear if you pull the Rum homer glasses off for a minute.

Rum either poisoned the UM well with the AH kids, or once they played for him at AH they hated him and wanted nothing else to do with him. Pretty easy to see if you look at it objectively.

You can excuse a loss here or there, but to whiff on every single big time prospect from the HS you coached tells a story. If you want to blind yourself with lame excuses so you don't have to see the story that's your prerogative.

If they hated "rum" so much why did they follow him from his optimist days? Why didn't they transfer out of the school if they didn't like him? There are plenty of good high school programs in the area why stick with a coach you dont like?

A lot of us are trying to relate to recruiting 30/40 years ago to today.Then
generally speaking the kid went to grade school and stayed in the same school
system thru his 12 years.Then onto a state school.Yes,there were the exceptions
like Bernie Kosar .And the few boys from Texas and LA.
Today,any student can go to any school per state HS regulations.So a good FB
player is already being recruited to other secondary schools.
Enter in the schools such as STA or AH.These schools go after any potential
good player in the three county area.
And then there is IMG in Bradenton who recruits nationally.My point is why
would a recruit be tied to any school when he never has any limits since probably
8th grade?
So when we talk about a"fence",border,boundary,whatever for U's
recruits that's talking like were in 1970's.But by the same token the U has to look
at the US as one giant recruiting ground not a three county restriction.

LOL at the thought of a school being against us. A HS is against a college when the HS coach there pollutes the kids. High schools don't just turn on local marquee programs on their own.

Down here they do, ice with the whole kirkland situation, chad with quincy, here is my thing they will cut the throat of the local team for that but when other teams do it they dont care, did you ever see ice publicly talk **** about UF when they ran his kid out? He did to us with one of his players, imagine with his son, these local programs down here hold grudges against us whether its not offering kids, not hiring a certain coach, etc. if other schools dont do that its ok we dont we get crucified

Advertisement

I'm not plugged in enough to know for sure, but my instincts tell me that Rumph's ex players either don't like him or don't respect him enough so that he's a non factor in recruiting these kids ...and I believe Chad Wilson has his stink all over this as well

Seems the kids listen to Wilson more than they listen to Rumph...and it appears Wilson made some phone calls over the dead period on Florida's behalf and to bash UM with these kids

Slaton seems like an impressionable dude and my gut says we can still flip him.

I also don't believe Rumph was hired for his long track record as a college DB coach. He was hired to recruit Hereitage, period. So we have to see what the consequences end up being if he whiffs IMO

Last edited:

Down here they do, ice with the whole kirkland situation, chad with quincy, here is my thing they will cut the throat of the local team for that but when other teams do it they dont care, did you ever see ice publicly talk **** about UF when they ran his kid out? He did to us with one of his players, imagine with his son, these local programs down here hold grudges against us whether its not offering kids, not hiring a certain coach, etc. if other schools dont do that its ok we dont we get crucified

It's still the individual coaches doing it but you are right...they treat us harshly when they think we wrong a kid and you don't hear the same criticism of the out of town schools. The Treon Harris and Denver Kirkland situations are perfect examples of the double standards we experience.

It doesn't matter who's coaching at Miami, we have two or three of the best coaches in the country. Until we start winning they aren't coming just as simple as that. Many are just not smart enough to see if most of them stayed home we'd be a frigon powerhouse again. Maybe the 18 class is a little smarter and all the best players stay home, we have a good start. We can dream can't we?

Advertisement
Back