Pete tweet: Butch X Dorsey

I think some of you are letting nostalgia cloud your brains...just because guys were great hurricanes doesn't mean they are ready to be OC or DC. lets start them out as position coaches first. why do we need a bunch of greenhorn coaches on the staff when everyone else has proved assistants?

Advertisement
Based on Butch's comments in other interviews, I think he would go with younger assistant coaches if he got the job.

I think some of you are letting nostalgia cloud your brains...just because guys were great hurricanes doesn't mean they are ready to be OC or DC. lets start them out as position coaches first. why do we need a bunch of greenhorn coaches on the staff when everyone else has proved assistants?

He will not come here as a position coach. I think we are the only college he'd actually consider coming to. If we dont get him a NFL team will. Dorsey is trending upward and if we want him this is a perfect opportunity to jump the gun. We could regret it if he turns out how many believe he will.

Exactly. It's not like we're talking about simply our Ex-QB Ken Dorsey, who has been sitting in high school stands drinking beer talking about his glory days. He's a top QB coach who's next stop is OC, SOMEWHERE. Possibly the NFL. He's been around the game since he left UM, so I'm not too concerned about his lack of play calling. Every OC that is alive today, and ever, once had no play calling experience. I have faith in a guy that has been in the league and studied the game like Dorsey always has. Everywhere he was a backup the coaches said it was like having another coach on the team. That says a heck of a lot about the guy. I have absolutely no reservations about him being the OC. Also, recruiting QBs shouldn't be a problem with him. He'd be a great fit here.

He will not come here as a position coach. I think we are the only college he'd actually consider coming to. If we dont get him a NFL team will. Dorsey is trending upward and if we want him this is a perfect opportunity to jump the gun. We could regret it if he turns out how many believe he will.

Advertisement
as long as dorsey is willing to recruit he will make a great OC

That is exactly what we have right now with Coley, a great recruiter and a terrible OC. He does not have a system, can't call plays consistently enough during games to expose and beat defenses.

I'm not sold on Dorsey, I have no proof that he can install a distinct offensive system whether it be spread, spread option, one back, or Pro style. Teach it to these kids, get the QB to run it from the line of scrimmage like Spurrier does, like Urban does, Like Sumlin does, Like Leach does. If he can do that then great, but until I see something, read something that tells me that he has his own system like these guys and other young coordinators whose learned from these offensive gurus, I wouldn't gamble on him being ready. Enough gambling already dangit

The difference is that Dorsey has done his time. The next logical step for him is as an OC. Reed hasn't coached, as far as I'm aware, so being a position coach would be sensible. Lewis..... isn't going in to coaching.

The scary thing is finding out after five games that the jump from QB coach to OC isn't as natural as it may seem. It's one thing to coach up the QBs at practice and games. It is quite a different skill to be able to take in all the information from the previous play and get the right play and personnel communicated efficiently within about 15 seconds. 70 times. It's why Coley is so bad. He is great when he has a week to plan the first drive. When he is put on the spot, we suck.

You're not wrong, but consider the possibility that, despite the risk you outlined, Dorsey may have all of the necessary skills to go beyond "coaching up the QBs at practice." By multiple accounts, he has long had a hand in gameplanning, and in-game adjustments. It also that helps that, even without knowing his contributions to actual play-calling and audibles, we've seen at the college and NFL levels that these were his greatest attributes as a player.

While that is obviously different than using those skills as a coach, it's another factor that lessens the risk. You're talking about a person who somehow stayed in the NFL (and actually played/started in some games) much longer than his physical ability indicated he should because of the very skills we're discussing.

Still don't understand why some are skeptical. QB Coach in the NFL -> OC at a power 5 school is a pretty natural progression.

Not to mention his alma mater where we won 2* NC...

Not that I like him, but Bill Lazor coached Nick Foles and got an NFL OC gig. Meanwhile Dorsey is coaching up MVP candidate Cam Newton on Sundays.

Based on Butch's comments in other interviews, I think he would go with younger assistant coaches if he got the job.

No doubt he would and I think he's shown he can hire very capable position coaches. The key will be with his coordinators. He's hired very conservative (and much maligned) coordinators both at UM and UNC. If he can hire good young coordinators, shoot, we be rollin!!!

Advertisement
Did some of ya'll forget that Fisch did the exact same thing? Go from an NFL QB Coach to the Univ of Miami as an OC?

In fact, that's pretty common among major schools. Fisch actually went back to college where he is currently on the Univ of Mich staff.

Fisch was an OC at the U of Minnesota prior to Miami so it's not like he had no experience with play calling.

Where he did quite poorly. During Fisch's one year trial run there:

Minnesota ranked last in the Big Ten in scoring (20.9 points per game), rushing (99.5 yards per game) and total offense (306.5 ypg) in 2009. The Gophers endured two shutout losses (Penn State and Iowa), nearly suffered another one (Ohio State) and went 10 quarters without an offensive touchdown late in the year.

First time coordinators are always a risk. However, it's a risk/reward analysis that leads a BUNCH of NFL teams to promote their position coaches to coordinators.

true..point though as that he learned something from that experience as a first time play caller before having that responsibility at Miami. Dorsey has yet to have that experience. The risk with Dorsey is a bit more than the one we had with Fisch because of that lack of experience.

Dorsey does not call the plays. Coley did call plays at FSU and look how much we struggle.

As someone else said, it's about the feel for the game and experience. Rolling the dice with Dorsey and something I'd rather not do. I want proven OC's and DC's...

crossover22[]_[];2354581 said:
Butch has spent the past 4 years preparing for this opportunity.

He is much wiser and probably a better coach than he was when he left after the 2000 season.

He knows Dorsey better than anyone and if he thinks Dorsey is ready for the OC role, then that's fine with me.

Dorsey is young, innovative but will keep us grounded in a pro style offense that prepares QB's for the NFL.

I'm as big of a Dorsey fan as there is, but what's the evidence for his innovative nature? Not being an *** - just would like to know. I'm not a Panthers fan and do not follow them closely. In my view, there is some risk with Dorsey. There's risk with any first time playcaller. Playcalling is as much timing and feel as it is preparation.

Im a panthers fan. I dont know that id call him innovative. But hes highly thought of. He has made cam better and had a chance to work under shula.

Coley didn't call the plays at FSU

Advertisement
Back