Pete: How Good is Dixon?

He's a solid 4 star.. Good prospect Ricardo Louis type prospect.. Coley,Watkins, Cooper (blossomed late), Patrick Peterson, are elite prospects..

Advertisement
I always thought Dixon was like another Phillip Dorset except Dorset will make you miss in open field, Dixon tries to outrun you. At the college level you can't do that and if that is all you can do you better be at least 6'2.5". I think he is special but I don't think he is worth all the hype. i would be upset if he left but not really unhappy thinking that we lost another great.

Advertisement
I always thought Dixon was like another Phillip Dorset except Dorset will make you miss in open field, Dixon tries to outrun you. At the college level you can't do that and if that is all you can do you better be at least 6'2.5". I think he is special but I don't think he is worth all the hype. i would be upset if he left but not really unhappy thinking that we lost another great.

When was the last time Dorsett made anyone miss in the open field?

There are no elite WR's in the state of Florida for this class imo.

Rudolph is the best WR/ATH and has the most upside.
Lane is OK but nothing he does impresses me.
Dixon is Dorsett without the speed.

high school....??

Advertisement

high school....??

Yep, but you really don't even see that from Dixon.

Clearly, the boards are going to erupt one way or another at 3 pm. But how good of a prospect is Dixon, in your opinion? If Coley is a 5-star kid, what is Dixon, a 4 star, a 4.5 star? Watching his video, dude reminds me of Antonio Brown, from the Steelers. Good hands. Runs nice routes. Good, not amazing, speed. Good, not great, short area burst.

I don't buy the whole "it's ok to miss on Coveted Recruit X because recruits at his position grow on trees." People would have said that about Coley, and look what we would have missed out on had he gone elsewhere. That rational only applies when we're talking about someone who is not special, ie, not Cook, or Mathew Thomas, etc.

So, is Dixon special, or not?

I live about a mile away from Dwyer and I've watched alot of his games through the years. Dixon is a great athlete. He's already built like a college player and has elite distance speed (meaning not many HS DBs are going to keep up with him on a Seam route,etc). He was an ok, short area burst. Here is my issue with him, he wasn't the best receiver on his team! He was their deep threat, but Saffold and Stevens were more complete receivers. They ran better routes, had a much better short area burst. I think he'd be a better DB at the next level. I'd label him as a 4 Star athlete. He's a great kid to bring in, but I'd much rather have Travis Rudolph at WR.

Yes. That kid who works in the Dwyer film room, who people dismiss as a troll, says the same thing. He's not the best on his team.

While he looks very athletic, especially when he's hopping around the field before the game, he seemed to have trouble separating from the 10th grade CB from Nicevill, Eli Stove. On the highlights I saw from the title game, Stove had him blanketed. Now, the highlights, for whatever reason, only showed one big play from that game, when another CB fell down and JD took it into the end zone. The video didn't show JD's other big plays in that game.

I'd surely love to have him, but I won't go into meltdown mode if he goes to OSU. He's not a Coley, that I can see. He's apparently strong for his size, and can outfight DBs for the ball, but what about some of the tall guys we are looking at, like Lenius, Ndoku, and a few others? They're about 5 or 6 inches taller to begin with, and have great leaping ability. And they're already in the 215-220 lb. range.

Advertisement
Very, very good...won't say elite but **** good player...I would compare him to Phillip dorsett, would help stretch out D

I agree there are no elite receivers in SOFL this year but there are four or five I would LOVE to have

Clearly, the boards are going to erupt one way or another at 3 pm. But how good of a prospect is Dixon, in your opinion? If Coley is a 5-star kid, what is Dixon, a 4 star, a 4.5 star? Watching his video, dude reminds me of Antonio Brown, from the Steelers. Good hands. Runs nice routes. Good, not amazing, speed. Good, not great, short area burst.

I don't buy the whole "it's ok to miss on Coveted Recruit X because recruits at his position grow on trees." People would have said that about Coley, and look what we would have missed out on had he gone elsewhere. That rational only applies when we're talking about someone who is not special, ie, not Cook, or Mathew Thomas, etc.

So, is Dixon special, or not?

It depends on whether he commits to us or OSU.

Advertisement
The good thing is that he's at least going somewhere out of our hair... losing an elite recruit to a mother ACC team (namely FSU) is a double loss because not only do we not get them, but then we have to play them 3-4 times.

He's a rich mans version of Dorsett IMO. Bigger and maybe a little bit faster. He's a straight line guy who seems to have decent, but not great hands. Definitely a 4 star prospect but not a program changer like a Coley.

He'll be a better route runner than Dorsett because he has better turnover.

Santonio Holmes...Kendall Wright kind of player.

Advertisement
Back