Pete: How Good is Dixon?

Advertisement
I work with a guy who's son played for Dwyer (senior this year) and both him and his son are fairly close to Dixon. After years of watching Dixon both in games and at practices this guy told .e that in terms of potential JD was the best wr prospect on the team hands down. Guy said Dixon has elite speed, leaping ability and overall athletcism. Said he Is built like an adonnis. However, in terms of polished recieving skills he said there was at least one, and probably 2 other wrs at Dwyer that are probably more advanced. According to this guy Johnnie is a bit inconsistent catching the ball. Said he will make a great catch or take one deep one second then drop 2 easy passes right in his hand the next.

However, in his opinion Dixon is far and away the better prospect because he has much better speed than the other 2 and is superior athletically. Fwiw, in this guy's opinion Dixon is a better cb than he is a wr qnd early in the process schools did approach him about playing db at the next level but he said that Dixon definitely does not want to play db in college

I work with a guy who's son played for Dwyer (senior this year) and both him and his son are fairly close to Dixon. After years of watching Dixon both in games and at practices this guy told .e that in terms of potential JD was the best wr prospect on the team hands down. Guy said Dixon has elite speed, leaping ability and overall athletcism. Said he Is built like an adonnis. However, in terms of polished recieving skills he said there was at least one, and probably 2 other wrs at Dwyer that are probably more advanced. According to this guy Johnnie is a bit inconsistent catching the ball. Said he will make a great catch or take one deep one second then drop 2 easy passes right in his hand the next.

However, in his opinion Dixon is far and away the better prospect because he has much better speed than the other 2 and is superior athletically. Fwiw, in this guy's opinion Dixon is a better cb than he is a wr qnd early in the process schools did approach him about playing db at the next level but he said that Dixon definitely does not want to play db in college

wasnt that the same being said about coley?

Advertisement
I haven't dug in too deep into his senior stuff but from the games I saw+junior stuff I'd probably rank him as a mid 4*. He brings a unique trait though, which would be the biggest problem with missing on him. I really like all of Langham/Berrios/Brady (especially Langham, who I would rank in the same area as Dixon), but none of them are legit deep threats like Dixon. Dixon's long speed plus his ability to track the ball on deep throws are an elite quality, so in that role, he is elite, and it is a very important role because the way it impacts a defense. Getting someone to fill that role in this class is fairly important, so while I don't have Dixon rated overly high, it would be an impactful loss if he doesn't end up here.

Very helpful, thanks.

Clearly, the boards are going to erupt one way or another at 3 pm. But how good of a prospect is Dixon, in your opinion? If Coley is a 5-star kid, what is Dixon, a 4 star, a 4.5 star? Watching his video, dude reminds me of Antonio Brown, from the Steelers. Good hands. Runs nice routes. Good, not amazing, speed. Good, not great, short area burst.

I don't buy the whole "it's ok to miss on Coveted Recruit X because recruits at his position grow on trees." People would have said that about Coley, and look what we would have missed out on had he gone elsewhere. That rational only applies when we're talking about someone who is not special, ie, not Cook, or Mathew Thomas, etc.

So, is Dixon special, or not?

I live about a mile away from Dwyer and I've watched alot of his games through the years. Dixon is a great athlete. He's already built like a college player and has elite distance speed (meaning not many HS DBs are going to keep up with him on a Seam route,etc). He was an ok, short area burst. Here is my issue with him, he wasn't the best receiver on his team! He was their deep threat, but Saffold and Stevens were more complete receivers. They ran better routes, had a much better short area burst. I think he'd be a better DB at the next level. I'd label him as a 4 Star athlete. He's a great kid to bring in, but I'd much rather have Travis Rudolph at WR.

Advertisement
Dixon reminds me a lot of Dorsett. He is very good but people are on here making him out to be a must get when he isn't. Rudolph and Lane are both bigger misses if we don't get any of them. Dixon would be nice to have but I think the other two will be elite at the next level.

Dixon is an elite WR, it'll hurt to lose him

Elite gets thrown around too much.

Coley, Watkins were elite prospects (maybe Cooper even fits here)
Dixon, Rudolph, Lane are very good/great prospects but not elite IMO.

this right here.

Watkins was/is clearly the best followed closely by Coley
bit of a drop off to Cooper IMO
Dixon, Lane, and Rudolph are not quite in the same tier

Not even on the same wavelength as Coley.

But still a good prospect. Would LOVE to have him. Not sure where the 5 star hype comes from though.

Advertisement
Dixon is an elite WR, it'll hurt to lose him

Elite gets thrown around too much.

Coley, Watkins were elite prospects (maybe Cooper even fits here)
Dixon, Rudolph, Lane are very good/great prospects but not elite IMO.

this right here.

Watkins was/is clearly the best followed closely by Coley
bit of a drop off to Cooper IMO
Dixon, Lane, and Rudolph are not quite in the same tier

I agree on Dixon but Lane has all the tools to be elite. Rudolph reminds me of Greene at FSU. You don't think of him as elite but dude always seems to make big plays.

wasnt that the same being said about coley?

Maybe, but with Coley you never had people familiar with the team question whether or not he was the best wr on his own team.

However, with that said, because of JD's raw potential alone I really hope he picks us today...

Alot of wr are very raw at route running because most of the time they are bigger faster and better then everyone on the field. sammy watkins type of dudes dont come every year. like technique with DL honing in on good routes for wr's are skills some dont even get at the college level. i watched the state game and he had a few wide open drops when his team was losing, they didnt make it a "point" to get him the ball just seemed like a player they would throw to when they needed a big play. all sins can be forgiven if he can get in for a UTough and start working a college skeleton plays

Advertisement
Dixon can have an elite aspect on certain teams as a down field threat that opens the field for everybody but he's not elite himself. On this team he can be huge

Advertisement
Back