Payton Kirkland commits to Texass

Status
Not open for further replies.
Would we even have a spot? Not saying this as sour grapes but as of now our OL class is:

Mauigoa
Tinalau
Tripp
Samson🔮
Olaus🔮

Samson and Olaus are our highest remaining priority targets. Assuming those 2 are in that's 5 spots.

Gabby said Kinsler has the green light to committ the 28th. That's 6 on the OL. Is Pkay and Freeling squeezed out? or are we making room for one more?View attachment 198241
They will take 7. Steve o was basically saying we kinda moved on from Freeling. Not sure about that. But for the Pipeline it's probably better to get Kirkland also with him and Malik being so close. I love Orlando kids. The more kids you have on the roster the easier it is to recruit more prospects from there. *** the lizards

Advertisement
Writers, gurus, insiders can talk all they want about the OL numbers..but if Mario and Mirabel turn down any of the following below because they are afraid of the numbers, then they are crazy:

Olaus
Samson
Kirkland
Freeling
Kinsler

I would absolutely take all 8 OL in this case and shave off numbers from another position group if need be. You cant find 8 premier level OL in a class that all want to be in the class that often, if ever. And we will have attrition after this season. That OL room wont look the same this time next year.
100% agreed ..

Can't turn any of those guys away for various reasons...

Talent wise, I guess PK would be the easiest but you don't want to hurt relationships in that area and also want to keep Bryant.

Freeling would be the easiest to turn away as far as future recruiting but he's such a great talent you can't turn him away.

Take 8 if they all want in and let the #s figure themselves out later.

Remember that LB/ DB and DT are still major areas of need that we need to fill in this class.
Agree! But we are only taking 3 LBs right. We only have one spot left to fill. (hopefully, Bryant)..CB seems to be a 3 spot slotting as well and we got 1 on the board.

DT, I have no idea what we are doing. With all the OL talent we are bringing in I wouldnt be shocked if next Spring you read the headline, "Anez Cooper switching to DT".

I know its not ideal..but ****..would hate to turn down any of the 8 IF they all want in. (big IF..Freeling is the wild card it seems)

Yep. Not sure about 8 but the position needs to be overhauled. We’ll lose 6-8 guys to graduation/draft/portal and the guys behind those guys aren’t very good.
My thought process

1.Tinlau
2.Tripp
3. Francis
4. (Hopefully) Samson
5. (Hopefully) Kirkland
6. (Hopefully) Olaus
7. (Hopefully) Kinsler
8. If an elite talent like freeling or cline wants in you take him

You land that class^ and you can get picky moving forward. We need an entire overhaul and that’s as good as one could ask for

From the current roster, I see only 5 that will definitely be here in 23. Sagapolu, Denis, Cooper, McCoy, Rivers. And Cooper could end up on defense.

Campbell has another year of eligibility and possibly McLaughlin. It’s possible the rest of the current room is either out of eligibility or on another team. 6-7 can definitely be justified in this class.

Yep, exactly. That depth is awful.

Advertisement
I hope our class is 12+ linemen. Idc if it was 15 lol
I’m with you on this… I wholeheartedly believe for our OL (and any position group for that matter) to be elite we’ll need to basically over sign some years…let the cream rise to the top, deal with the those who transfer out and do it all over again. I don’t think we have much choice.

From the current roster, I see only 5 that will definitely be here in 23. Sagapolu, Denis, Cooper, McCoy, Rivers. And Cooper could end up on defense.

Campbell has another year of eligibility and possibly McLaughlin. It’s possible the rest of the current room is either out of eligibility or on another team. 6-7 can definitely be justified in this class.
I agree. I also read somewhere that if kids didn’t transfer portal somewhere they can retire from their sports and still ride out their scholarship by being a student. Not sure if these kids get that they aren’t good enough to play here and if they would plan to go somewhere else (perhaps a Duke like level team if they are still determined and undersized). But I like it that we can put the decision in their hands and not be a bad guy to just “drop” them from the team and mess up their academic life too. But it seems like the last few years of Seymour and Rodriguez may be forced out by this new wave.

Advertisement
I've know Steve for 12yrs....he does have his connections....he told me that Marshall was going to UF a few years ago, the day before he committed to them, when everyone thought UM.....
That’s my worry, he usually has solid info

Advertisement
Advertisement
Had a chance to talk to Payton yesterday along with his mom. Payton has let every school but Miami and Michigan St that he will not be attending their school. His commitment will be July 23rd in Orlando, FL. A few nuggets along with a bunch of laughs talking about his UF visit. His mother told me that the mac & cheese was not only made with mayonnaise but apparently the food on the visit got multiple people sick during their trip. Payton also told me Coach Cristobal has reached out to him recent as early as 4:30am to let him know he is wanted. Payton understands the targets we are going after and is ready to compete. He talks to Francis Mauigoa a lot about playing next to each other and also mentioned a player he would love to play with is Samson Okunola from Boston, Massachusetts. Payton started out playing basketball but his mother noticed he needed a little extra fire in him that needed to be unleashed. He transitioned to the game of football after injuring his ankle in basketball and hasn't looked back since. He models his game after Trent Williams and also is his mentor. Payton let me know that he is currently 6'6 benching over 440lbs and hasn't hit his growth spurt yet. His father is 6'10 keep that in mind. Overall Payton and his mom expressed that the family atmosphere, love from the coaching staff and overall development are huge reasons why they love Miami. They have been honest, relentless and constantly making them feel important. After talking to him I can honestly say the way this young man is perceived on social media is completely different than how he carries himself off the field. The Dr.Phillips Orlando native who is close with ex teammate John Campbell hinted that Miami will also be offering a few of his teammates soon as well. With a July 23rd commitment and a recent push back date for OL target Tommy Kinsler, I expect Miami to be the team to be as of right now but as we know recruitment changes daily.
Good stuff; enjoyed reading this professionally well written update.
Also enjoy the professional manner in which you have recently spoken on various podcasts.
Keep up the good work!!

Predicting Bryant as a "Cane Lock". As of 8 hours ago lol. I would be careful with the word lock 10 days out of this recruitment and like @Cribby said a desperate UF.

Bryant was a Cane lock a few days ago but info changes fast. I’m sure he didn’t know about the bump by UF 72 hours ago. It seems like It takes a week for people to catch up to how things change.

Saying Cane is still a safe bet but its just that at this point , a gamble playing odds. If people that would 100 percent know if it’s done says it’s not done, it’s not done.

Bryant was a Cane lock a few days ago but info changes fast. I’m sure he didn’t know about the bump by UF 72 hours ago. It seems like It takes a week for people to catch up to how things change.

Saying Cane is still a safe bet but its just that at this point , a gamble playing odds. If people that would 100 percent know if it’s done says it’s not done, it’s not done.
man losing him would be tough. we need LBs more than anything thanks to Manny. still a ton of time till he announces though. I believe Fong put in the CB? I guess I see why miami coaches dont like when CBs get put in there.

man losing him would be tough. we need LBs more than anything thanks to Manny. still a ton of time till he announces though. I believe Fong put in the CB? I guess I see why miami coaches dont like when CBs get put in there.
It feels eerily familiar to the Rashada situation. Just later in the recruitment. UF’s only chance at top tier guys is to drastically over pay, the word is already out on them.

Imo like Rashada‘s recruitment this one feels like the kid wants to be here. He has a good relationship with the staff and just vibes with Sfla. But UF definitely gave him something to think about , before that it was Miami / Bama with Miami having a big lead.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
Back