Paul Djobet is officially a Cane! 🖊️

Advertisement
First thought was poor man’s Durand Scott. No idea why. Maybe it’s the wrist action on his release.

Nwoko and Casey are the backups at the 5. Nwoko in particular should be an ideal fit, even as a frosh for the scramble defense. 28-30 min from Omier, 10-12 from Nwoko, and Casey also being an option is my guess how it plays out

Miami had a highly regarded traditional big last year in Aire and he didnt play because playing the 5 in the scramble requires athleticism more than size. If a Center can't press the high ball screen and still move his feet to recover back to the rim he can't play for us.
Since it's his defense, you'd think Coach L would've recognized Aire's poor fit. Musta been other deficiencies as well.

Advertisement
Coach L has been bringing in some very tall guards lately. Not sure if its on purpose or not. Guards usually have handle and I like that. Our guards are almost mismatch big now. Throw out Bensley and Pack and these guards are hella tall as a unit.

An Advanatage of tall guards is that they can defend multiple positions.

Since it's his defense, you'd think Coach L would've recognized Aire's poor fit. Musta been other deficiencies as well.
I think the hope was that Aire had the necessary athleticism… he was considered to be somewhat of a raw recruit with higher potential.

Doesn’t always work out… especially as these kids are still developing and evolving.

It's hard for a big, let alone a freshmen, in any system to play if he can't defend the pick n roll. You can only hide him for so much in a zone. At the end of the day, if they don't have the lateral quickness to slide their feet or the know how to hedge, hit and fall back on D, they're not going to see the floor.

I think the hope was that Aire had the necessary athleticism… he was considered to be somewhat of a raw recruit with higher potential.

Doesn’t always work out… especially as these kids are still developing and evolving.

Also, Aire signed his LOI in Fall 2021. Coach L didn't switch to running the scramble full time until early Dec. of that year, after the TG tourney.

Aire was a good add as a developmental big. Then we changed how we play and as you said he just wasnt a great fit.

Advertisement
Having size for the sake of it is stupid. L wants athletic size, he wants to have multiple guys provide length. Amazing how even after an elite 8 and FF run, fans still run around whining like the dude doesn’t know what he is doing. Let the guy cook.
L will again as usual be on the HOT SEAT soon as season gets closer tagging him as no knowing anything.

GOCANES

Advertisement
Not sure about the athleticism part. Have you ever seen Djobet dunk? I don't think there was a single dunk in any of his highlights.
We saw Pack with a tip jam this year so anything is possible.
I bet Djobet will be dunking soon after working in a college S&C program.

But he may not and can still be effective like Boris Diaw. I don’t remember him ever dunking, and he was fat but effective.

The recruiting services don’t know as much as they think. I’m not saying this kid is a sure fire stud, but you can tell there are tools there. This kid needs to gain weight, and also grow into his body a bit more and he can be a player a couple of years from now. Kids that can get buckets at that size, they understand how to make winning plays don’t grow on trees.

The scouting services are overly enamored with athleticism, they don’t know how to grade hoopers. If a kid like Jokic came about, they would call him a scrub, because he doesn’t jump off the page athletically. If there’s anything the last 4-5 years has taught us is that basketball players are unique, if you can see and feel the game, you will do well, even if you aren’t hyper athletic. This kid has potential, but he is a bit of a project.
You mean 2nd round pick Jokic who the NBA experts considered at best a back-up center due to limited athleticism and slow feet?
I could not agree with you more.

I watched a summer league game yesterday (Sixers fan and admitted hoops junkie) and Memphis has a player named Kenneth Floyd. He is as wide as he is tall and has no real position on the floor; not tall enough for forward and too slow for guard.
And the young man can just play the game. Passes very well, can shoot, and can use his size to create space even though he can’t jump high. He will be an NBA player because highlights are nice, but coaches need production.

You mean 2nd round pick Jokic who the NBA experts considered at best a back-up center due to limited athleticism and slow feet?
I could not agree with you more.

I watched a summer league game yesterday (Sixers fan and admitted hoops junkie) and Memphis has a player named Kenneth Floyd. He is as wide as he is tall and has no real position on the floor; not tall enough for forward and too slow for guard.
And the young man can just play the game. Passes very well, can shoot, and can use his size to create space even though he can’t jump high. He will be an NBA player because highlights are nice, but coaches need production.
Kenneth Lofton Jr. He's a beast. He dropped 42 in a regular season game last year.

Advertisement
Kenneth Lofton Jr. He's a beast. He dropped 42 in a regular season game last year.
Yeah I didn’t even know that he played on the NBA team at the end of the season, and just saw the highlights of the 42 point game Players can play.
He probably ended up at La Tech because he wasn’t considered athletic enough for the bigger colleges.

Love his speed, athleticism, and ball skills for his size way more up on him than Nwoku. Hope I’m wrong
Nwoko is a beast, and is proving it on every level. Was a top player at the Jordan brand classic games and also has been doing well in the Fiba u19 tournament. I swear he will definitely contribute more than Djobet this year.

Not sure if you're serious about Djobet being able to dunk, but yes. He can dunk.
Usually athletic guys have dunks in their highlights. Yes I'm sure he can dunk. But the fact there weren't any dunks (I think there was a clip of him dunking the ball into the rim and then it trickling in) is a strong indicator he's not very athletic.

Advertisement
Back