Paul Djobet is officially a Cane! 🖊️

Amazing how many people talk without knowing anything. Dude has shown the ability to shoot, despite not being a plus athlete. Worst case scenario, he’s a 3 and D guy. You can win with those guys, it’s tough to win with plus athletes that are pretending to play basketball. I’d rather have this kind of skill set over Anthony Walker types, dudes that can’t play but can do one thing that ultimately doesn’t matter(Dunk).
I don’t want either one. I’m totally fine with being wrong. I’m a Cane fan. I want them to succeed and win. So if I’m wrong then the Canes have a good player. I don’t understand why an opinion on a player bothers people. I don’t see a Div 1 basketball player when I watched the available included highlight tape. We settled for a hope and a prayer. Was hoping our program had gotten past that stage with the recent success.

It’s amazing that you don’t know anything about me yet you talk like you do.

Advertisement
Doesn't have elite athleticism but he's athletic enough. Not athletic in terms of explosiveness or bounce, but he's long and can slide his feet. And at about 6'7" that's a good start. Will need to add some muscle, but he's got some tools to work with. A good scorer from all 3 levels and as I said in an earlier post, when he's got his shot going he's one of the better scorers in the entire state.

Not sure how you got to that conclusion, but who knows. You may be right. You may not. As Canes fans, let's hope you're wrong and we don't suck and he develops into a future NBA 1st rounder. GO CANES!!!
100% agree. It’s an opinion. I will be ecstatic to be wrong. I don’t see a major D1 player.

He does everything you want your perimeter guys to do, which is dribble, pass & shoot. And he does it well. I too like his game. To me, his physical development will determine how quickly he becomes a contributor. I hope I'm wrong but I think he's going to need a full year to build up his body for the college game.
100%. He seems to be a willing defender, has skills, and a willing defender to me the only thing that might hold him back from being an effective ACC player is his speed and quickness.

I don’t want either one. I’m totally fine with being wrong. I’m a Cane fan. I want them to succeed and win. So if I’m wrong then the Canes have a good player. I don’t understand why an opinion on a player bothers people. I don’t see a Div 1 basketball player when I watched the available included highlight tape. We settled for a hope and a prayer. Was hoping our program had gotten past that stage with the recent success.

It’s amazing that you don’t know anything about me yet you talk like you do.
He has major D1 skills. He has a willingness to defend and rebound like a major D1 player. At this point I think that his speed, quickness and athleticism are what could hold him back. If he can get into a college training room and improve those we could have a solid contributor.

Typically in the past we have gotten very high 4's and 5's with superior athleticism and very poor basketball skills, IQ and a poor willingness to get better.

Advertisement

Far too many times we get caught up in the spectacular and miss out on the little things. Djobet does a lot of little things well. Don’t understand how some are so quick to write him off. The 2nd play in this video highlight is impressive. Not too many people can get from near half court to the basket in 1 dribble.

100% agree. It’s an opinion. I will be ecstatic to be wrong. I don’t see a major D1 player.
I can see how some think you came across as a hater with your initial post. You're basically writing Djobet off from watching clips of him in HS. Truth be told, he's better as a high school senior than a lot of guys who've played for us over the years. That's not to say he's going to be a star. Just think it's a bit premature to bury him without even having him stepped foot on campus. Fact of the matter is everywhere he's played at he's produced. Whether playing HS ball in Georgia or Florida, he's put up impressive numbers against top competition. And it's not like he's overpowering or blowing by people in doing so. He's doing a lot of it strictly off his skill set.

Advertisement
To me he seems to have a little of Durant Scott (except larger) ability to get to the hoop. He has a nice handle and is a creative finisher. Knows he isn’t going to jump over someone but can use his length to make layups. Seems to be a better shooter than Scott. Can definitely add a dimension to this team. Excited to see what L can get out of him.

Far too many times we get caught up in the spectacular and miss out on the little things. Djobet does a lot of little things well. Don’t understand how some are so quick to write him off. The 2nd play in this video highlight is impressive. Not too many people can get from near half court to the basket in 1 dribble.

He has a much better handle than I originally thought. Also seems to have good explosiveness off the dribble. Where’s he’s limited athletically is his vertical.

Reality check, you can't recruit top guys for every open slot, some guys will just know they're not going to get real minutes until they develop, if at all. You need 7-8 high major kids and 3-4 "role" players. If 1-2 of them develops great. Some guys just don't but using your 12th scholly on a project isn't hurting us.

Advertisement
Reality check, you can't recruit top guys for every open slot, some guys will just know they're not going to get real minutes until they develop, if at all. You need 7-8 high major kids and 3-4 "role" players. If 1-2 of them develops great. Some guys just don't but using your 12th scholly on a project isn't hurting us.
Agree completely. Plus, pt starts to become an issue.

I think we are at 11 scholarships though (unless I’m missing someone). Plus 1 walk on.

One thing I'd like to add to that from what I understand Djobet's dream school has always been Miami. Don't know the backstory as to why but 2 different people have told me the same thing. No problem whatsoever taking a flier on a tough, skilled in-state kid who should be coming in hungry

Advertisement
Doesn't have elite athleticism but he's athletic enough. Not athletic in terms of explosiveness or bounce, but he's long and can slide his feet. And at about 6'7" that's a good start. Will need to add some muscle, but he's got some tools to work with. A good scorer from all 3 levels and as I said in an earlier post, when he's got his shot going he's one of the better scorers in the entire state.

Not sure how you got to that conclusion, but who knows. You may be right. You may not. As Canes fans, let's hope you're wrong and we don't suck and he develops into a future NBA 1st rounder. GO CANES!!!
I'll take your word for it on it.

Does anyone see or like a comp of John Salmons for him?. Or he isnt that athletic..i dont remember Salmons being springy either..but could knock down the 3 with his feet set and was crafty with the ball int he lane

The young man knows how to play the game. He has handles at the top, not just from the wing. He already has a floater. He can shoot and he can pass. A lot of good can be done without dunking. And after a few years in a college S&C program, he will be dunking. He will never be a high flyer but it’s easy to see why Coach L wants a player with this much versatility. He can play 2 through 4.
He needs to develop his left hand so that he can finish close because that right hand layup from the left side will end up in the first row. And he needs to keep working on catching and shooting.

Advertisement
Back