Paul Djobet is officially a Cane! 🖊️

Advertisement
I hope that Paul Djobet is a great pick up, and he plays like a 5 *! BUT given our lack of height problems this year, WHY is Coach L not going after at least one big guy (like > 6ft. 10in., or even better a 7 footer)? Seems obvious to me.
Maybe simply having size just to have it isn't his preferred way to go about building a team. If there was a stretch 4 that would be a fit next to Omier for next year or Nwoko in the future I'm sure that player would be welcomed. A coach may stick with a 4 guards around one big lineup when it has produced an elite 8 and final four in back to back years. He signed Nwoko as his big and the 3 other guys he's brought in are wings or big guards. All 6'6" or taller.

Advertisement
I hope that Paul Djobet is a great pick up, and he plays like a 5 *! BUT given our lack of height problems this year, WHY is Coach L not going after at least one big guy (like > 6ft. 10in., or even better a 7 footer)? Seems obvious to me.
Having size for the sake of it is stupid. L wants athletic size, he wants to have multiple guys provide length. Amazing how even after an elite 8 and FF run, fans still run around whining like the dude doesn’t know what he is doing. Let the guy cook.

Advertisement

Someone else posted this in the other recruiting thread. Kid can score the ball for sure, needs to get bigger.

I don't think there's a single clip in that video of him finishing above the rim lol there's one where he tries to dunk and the ball hits the front of the rim then bounces in.

He seems like a mediocre athlete, but with great length and is a crafty scorer. I think he'll be a solid player here, if he sticks it out.

Someone else posted this in the other recruiting thread. Kid can score the ball for sure, needs to get bigger.

He can play. Any may be able to slide to the 2 guard position.
Height has great value, but mismatches are where it creates that value. A 6’7” shooting guard has more “useable” height than a 6’8-6’9” power forward because of this position mismatch.
And height at uncommon positions creates all kinds of team mismatches. One of the great advantages the 80’s Lakers had was a 6’8” PG. Forget Magic’s skills for a moment. Because of his height, teams had to guard him with a forward, which meant that the opponent’s PG was guarding the “wrong” position. Somewhere down the line a mismatch was created by Magic’s height.

The kid can play. Great recruiting by Coach L.

I'm going to look past the fact that you used bold text and colors to try and prove your misinformed take and simply hone in on the fact that you clearly have zero clue what you're talking about

If my math is correct, Djobet is the 11th scholarship player which means we still have 2 open spots left.

Advertisement
For some reason whenever this is bought up many people get sour but I think its a fair question.. I just dont see why we are going to do the same thing with Omier where he has to play a style of defense scared to get fouls or where if he misses game like Duke in ACC tourney everyone just chops it up as automatic L because we have NOTHING else..

We have no big depth and to me seems obvious also especially last couple tourney runs but hey I dont see why we cant keep our identity while also having more than one big on entire team with open roster spots..

For some reason whenever this is bought up many people get sour but I think its a fair question.. I just dont see why we are going to do the same thing with Omier where he has to play a style of defense scared to get fouls or where if he misses game like Duke in ACC tourney everyone just chops it up as automatic L because we have NOTHING else..

We have no big depth and to me seems obvious also especially last couple tourney runs but hey I dont see why we cant keep our identity while also having more than one big on entire team with open roster spots..

Nwoko and Casey are the backups at the 5. Nwoko in particular should be an ideal fit, even as a frosh for the scramble defense. 28-30 min from Omier, 10-12 from Nwoko, and Casey also being an option is my guess how it plays out

Miami had a highly regarded traditional big last year in Aire and he didnt play because playing the 5 in the scramble requires athleticism more than size. If a Center can't press the high ball screen and still move his feet to recover back to the rim he can't play for us.

Advertisement

Any big willing to come off the bench for Miami is a JAG.

The Duke game was competitive into the final minute. It wasn't an automatic loss.

But any team that loses a star player will be hard pressed to overcome it. This isn't football.

Advertisement
Back