Patterson gets dropped

Advertisement
Advertisement
[TWEET]849968006692261892[/TWEET]

No surprise

This is GREAT news for the Gators, now they can go out and get a kid who "decommitted from Miami" and they can keep building that myth that our class will disintegrate.

Hurricane tears...of laughter...

Advertisement
Advertisement
was committed day 1 , a true cane and a playmaker , this is sad if its true

Here's the problem, in today's environment.

Kids want to feel special, the like it when programs identify them as a freshman or sophomore. But the reality is, some kids bloom early, and then do not develop further. This happens in the 4-year window of HS, it happens in the 4 or 5 year window of college, and it happens in the NFL. Sometimes a kid stands out from the crowd at one point (early growth spurt, beats out players with inferior coaching, etc.), and then the crowd catches up. Very hard to predict.

I admire the kid's loyalty, but if you follow that trait alone, then we are eventually going to have a certain percentage of the team who, while loyal, are no longer the dominant talents that they once were as HS freshmen or sophomores. Call them Al Bundy. "I once scored 4 TDs in one game." Yeah, that's great, but how about today?

I believe that, at every level, you have to have standards, and if a player hits a developmental wall, you are doing him a favor by allowing him to find his proper level of competition. If you put loyalty first, then you will end up sticking a kid at the end of the bench, never giving him reps, but remaining "loyal" to the promise that he showed years earlier.

Right now, that kid Forrest Lamp is probably going to be a first round selection. A few people mentioned him during recruiting, he had a funny name, he was a "diamond in the rough", etc. But how do we know he would have developed at Miami? Maybe he would not have been a good fit with Kehoe. Maybe the kid needed the reps that a "lower-level program" could give him, and he could develop confidence beating out kids within his skill range instead of going up against 4 star opposition as a freshman and getting discouraged.

I wish Patterson the best, I'd love to see him prove us "wrong", but with only so many spots, we have to make the best decisions we can with the evidence that we have now. And if the staff says "pass", I trust their judgement at this point.

Advertisement
was committed day 1 , a true cane and a playmaker , this is sad if its true

What would be sad is if we kept in contact the whole recruiting cycle, then dropped him in December/January. He's known for a while. Has more than enough time to be recruited.

Not to mention, this isn't the Golden era. We aren't taking fringe players just because they love Miami anymore. We're taking elite kids. He's not.

He's Electric , undersized but makes up for it, loves to hit , very physical.. very competitive and like I said he makes plays and is lock down , has great instincts and is a dog and thats something you cant teach.

I dont think he committed to al golden , he committed to Miami and thats not a reason why i think we should keep him. Should of kept him because he would be making plays vs FSU ETC... He would of thrived with this new coaching staff.

It doesn't really hurt us because of the talent we have and will get but we could have definitely utilized him.

But he is the type of player we need. He is a football player , playmaker . str8 DOG like how the canes use to be.

He's Electric , undersized but makes up for it, loves to hit , very physical.. very competitive and like I said he makes plays and is lock down , has great instincts and is a dog and thats something you cant teach.

I dont think he committed to al golden , he committed to Miami and thats not a reason why i think we should keep him. Should of kept him because he would be making plays vs FSU ETC... He would of thrived with this new coaching staff.

It doesn't really hurt us because of the talent we have and will get but we could have definitely utilized him.

But he is the type of player we need. He is a football player , playmaker . str8 DOG like how the canes use to be.

Are you his dad?

Advertisement
Back