Patrick Payton 2021 OLB/SS

Advertisement
IMO this is what our offseason portal work will look like (obviously the staff knows if someone unexpected and quality is leaving, and @Cribby lol)

Definites:
1 QB
2 S (maybe one is a nickel/safety combo)
1 DT
1 IOL/C (this gets downgraded to 0 if staff knows Lee is coming back or Rivers plays center)

Maybes: (I think we will cherrypick kids we really like at this positions and probably be outbid…unless we lose unexpected good players to the portal, then you up the bids…But I would expect 1 maybe 2 more at most unless the DTs leave…Anything else on an in for out basis)

WR
LB least likely
CB
DE co- least likely, but if it's quality obviously bring em in!
TE
DT- up to 2 more depending on JHH and Burroughs status

OT and RB I'd be shocked if we bring anyone in.

Advertisement
Yeah I really don’t like where all this is going. I’m glad players can get paid but college football is forever over as we knew it. It’s more pro where your pot for the team and don’t care as much about the individual player cause they may be gone the next year. It’s all business which is fine but it takes a lot away from what most of us probably enjoyed with college and the pride of playing for your university.
I usually believe that things regress to the mean overtime but I don’t see that happening without clear defined rules being put in place. I’d say it’s past the pro game at this point even. The best I can equate this to is European Soccer. Teams that are fringe realignment teams have basically accepted that they are farm squads. The portal will remove the G5/lower tier P5 players that punch above their weight class. No chance a player like Michael Crabtree or Khalil Mack ever stay at their respective schools of these rules were in place when they played.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Star? He was really good but he’s not a star. Not saying I wouldn’t take him but he isn’t a million dollar player.

Advertisement
Id give the UTEP guy a mil over Payton but we need a pass rusher.
I think your talking UTSA but I get your point… a mill should be reserved right now for a guaranteed 10+ sack guy…

Pat is nice and I’d love to have him maybe we get a hometown discount (doubt it) but nahhhh

1701828130885.png

Seems the whole 1 mill thing is coming from FSU writer Sonnone so I’d take that w/a brick of salt. Could be a similar situation Cribby was eluding to earlier about schools trying to ‘cell phone contract’ the NIL deal and this kid not getting what was initially promised.
Regardless it looks terrible for FSU haha

Advertisement
Back