Patrick Joyner

Its mostly what he played in highschool and we need depth. Should be a good 6th de for this year for sure.He had the size to be what trent Harris was for us if not better.

He probably wouldn’t have played much since there is a log jam at linebacker this year now making this move he will for sure be in the rotation if he shows he can play at this level.

Good move
Toolbox comparison is exactly was I was thinking of.

Advertisement
Where he should be. If you remember his recruitment, he was committed to FSU because they sold him on being a pass rusher. When he camped at Miami, he spoke of Manny having him play in space and they were evaluating his agility in pass coverage, which made no sense to me. Good to see that was all for naught, and he'll have his hand on the ground. It's where he's at his best.

Explain please?

He was recruited as an LB. We have more than enough depth at DE. Who are you going to play him over Rousseau? Garvin? Patchan? J. Jackson? D. Jackson?

He needs reps at LB. Put him in space and let him get reps there and see if he gets comfotable. We already know he can put his hand on the ground.

Have no problem with the move....Very JJ-ish....take DBs..make them LBers....take LBers...make them DEs....Love the speed off the edge for the next 4yrs...

Advertisement
He was recruited as an LB. We have more than enough depth at DE. Who are you going to play him over Rousseau? Garvin? Patchan? J. Jackson? D. Jackson?

He needs reps at LB. Put him in space and let him get reps there and see if he gets comfotable. We already know he can put his hand on the ground.

More than enough depth?

We literally have 5 DEs, and its a position where guys always get hurt and you need to rotate.

Ideally you want 7-8 DE, and you have a problem moving a 4th string LB to be a 6th DE?

I'm getting the feeling Diaz's goal is to sack any QB that takes more than a 3 step drop. Plus not give them time to release the ball if they fake the handoff on an RPO (not giving any time for a read.) He's going to bring immense pressure this season. I expect a 5 man rush will be the standard against most teams. IMHO it would be foolish not to do that this season. The guys with experience on the DL are smaller than the past few seasons. It makes sense to bring an extra body to help stop the run and not give the QB any chance to make a 2nd read. The pass rush will be better with just 4. You bring the 5th and it's game over all but a handful of teams in the country. We'll see the turnover chain even more this season.

Joyner is a beast and he's hungry early on he might not see much action on the field but by seasons end he wil! be part of the rotation.

Advertisement
we are 3 deep at LB and have a kid who's explosive and filling out fast. who wouldnt want to try him for depth purposes?

More than enough depth?

We literally have 5 DEs, and its a position where guys always get hurt and you need to rotate.

Ideally you want 7-8 DE, and you have a problem moving a 4th string LB to be a 6th DE?

Well-said! And I have a feeling this isn't a temporary change. Joyner played DE throughout High School. Rushing the QB is what he is good at. No guarantee that he'll ever learn to play in space.

This is how miami was built. Move a safety to LBer (Finley and Derrick) and move LBers to DE (Joyner). Speed everywhere...

Advertisement
He had a combined 33 sacks his Junior and Senior seasons. He is explosive off the edge and we are going to be running more sets with only 2 true linebackers - makes sense to me.

14 DL is a miracle considering Kuligowski's lazy recruiting

DE:

Djax sr
McCray sr
Patchan jr
Jackson jr
Garvin so
Rousseau fr
Joyner fr

I can see Joe Jackson "stepping out" into the draft after this season. That makes the Joyner move seem a lot more understandable IMO.

Under-sized speed rusher a`la Trent Harris, seeing Coach Simpson was a defensive analyst for the Falcons maybe this is his Vic Beasley, under-sized speed rusher with an ****nal of moves💪

Advertisement
Well-said! And I have a feeling this isn't a temporary change. Joyner played DE throughout High School. Rushing the QB is what he is good at. No guarantee that he'll ever learn to play in space.
He can definitely play in spac, he stood up an made linebacker plays, if PJ develops the right way, I see Khalil Mack because he can drop back and rush equally, he's a devastating pass rusher with moves an bend around the edge, our 4-2-5 will also help because it allows him to blitz from anywhere, just my 2 cents.

Last edited:
Great comparison Trent would've had 10 or 11 sacks had refs called holding against Pitt or Wisconsin definitely 2 clear as day would be sacks had he not been blatantly held in the orange bowl.
Question: Is Joyner as quick as Trent was? I think Harris was vastly underrated with how quick he was off the snap.

Question: Is Joyner as quick as Trent was? I think Harris was vastly underrated with how quick he was off the snap.
Trent was really fast off the edge, but Joyner I think is a better athlete, and that's no knock on Trent's athleticism.

Advertisement
Back