Patchan Coming Byke?

He better not takes reps away from more talented players next year.

There's no reason to have talented beasts like Jaelan Phillips & Jahfari Harvey sitting on the sideline just because Patch is a 6th year Senior... At some point there's a drop off in ability that experience can't make up for.

I'm hoping the staff already learned the hard way with Rousseau lol.

Patchan is there for run defense. He played so much against UF because they were a run-first team with Franks (Patchan played a really good game).

Their mistake was not switching to Rousseau after that game.

Advertisement
Will be a leader in the locker room and he has a supreme work ethic in the offseason from what Feeley says. We will need guys like him, Bandy, Ford to be leaders on this D when Shaq and Pinck are gone. He has a role on this D. Very good run stuffing DE.
Dont know bout all that

Advertisement
A leader which will be badly needed with some of the guys leaving snd nice run stopper so I would no doubt welcome him back as depth but not playing over young stars like he did this season

Advertisement
Fill the depth with a 6 year senior or insert random name from nowhere or ***** about depth....

Some of you are ******* amazing

He better not takes reps away from more talented players next year.

There's no reason to have talented beasts like Jaelan Phillips & Jahfari Harvey sitting on the sideline just because Patch is a 6th year Senior... At some point there's a drop off in ability that experience can't make up for.

I'm hoping the staff already learned the hard way with Rousseau lol.
Fokyn A this right here

Patchan is there for run defense. He played so much against UF because they were a run-first team with Franks (Patchan played a really good game).

Their mistake was not switching to Rousseau after that game.
I acknowledge that's the reasoning they might have used, but it's shaky. And, I'll use it more as a basis for discussion on what it means if that's how they make decisions, generally.

We're not a two gapping team so playing the "run stuffing/contain role" has some, but lesser value to what we do. Guys have to make plays. On any given play, in any given game, we need guys who can make a play based on individual ability more than on assignment. Think the opposite of the NE Patriots.

Rousseau has shown he can do both and isn't just a wild upfield player. Their mistake was giving Patchan too many snaps using the "let's stuff the run and play contain against UF" logic - as if Patchan was necessarily superior once things broke down inside of a game. I'm not saying Rousseau should have been the outright starter in Game 1 (though maybe he should have been given he's pretty much always looked like this in practices we've watched), but the snap count was Garvin 49, Patchan 43, Hill 15, Rouseau 14.

Those numbers, from a staff truly focused on analytics, might have looked better as Patchan 28, Rousseau 24, Hill 20. Anyone watching yesterday saw Rousseau extend his arms, accelerate off his block, and make a run stop on the edge. A play I'm not sure anyone else on the team can make. He can make plays with his wingspan and speed others cannot. Those extra plays against UF might have made a difference, who knows.

As you noted, to double down on that versus UNC was a travesty that plays a role in keeping us from winning the Coastal. Against UNC, Garvin received 59 snaps, Patchan 45, Hill 24, Rousseau 12. Let's call it what it is: a shaky personnel decision we didn't adjust on quickly enough.

I'm sure there are halfway decent rationalizations and "he wasn't ready" or "we didn't see consistency in practice" (even though you and I know anyone who's seen practice saw nothing but absurdities from Rousseau) or "we wanted to ease a young guy in his first couple games." It's over now and a healthy Rousseau will be on the field, but unless the methods used to make these types of decisions get adjusted, we'll just find ourselves a step behind in another scenario (like starting two Frosh tackles in Game 1; not emphasizing the pistol/Shotgun sooner, etc.).

We shall see.

Advertisement
If he’s your 4/5th DE you have great depth

This.

The kid is tough and reliable. He’s just not super talented.

It’s a great sign that we are bringing in top level talent once again if he’s the 4th / 5th DE - which is probably where he’ll end up.

I acknowledge that's the reasoning they might have used, but it's shaky. And, I'll use it more as a basis for discussion on what it means if that's how they make decisions, generally.

We're not a two gapping team so playing the "run stuffing/contain role" has some, but lesser value to what we do. Guys have to make plays. On any given play, in any given game, we need guys who can make a play based on individual ability more than on assignment. Think the opposite of the NE Patriots.

Rousseau has shown he can do both and isn't just a wild upfield player. Their mistake was giving Patchan too many snaps using the "let's stuff the run and play contain against UF" logic - as if Patchan was necessarily superior once things broke down inside of a game. I'm not saying Rousseau should have been the outright starter in Game 1 (though maybe he should have been given he's pretty much always looked like this in practices we've watched), but the snap count was Garvin 49, Patchan 43, Hill 15, Rouseau 14.

Those numbers, from a staff truly focused on analytics, might have looked better as Patchan 28, Rousseau 24, Hill 20. Anyone watching yesterday saw Rousseau extend his arms, accelerate off his block, and make a run stop on the edge. A play I'm not sure anyone else on the team can make. He can make plays with his wingspan and speed others cannot. Those extra plays against UF might have made a difference, who knows.

As you noted, to double down on that versus UNC was a travesty that plays a role in keeping us from winning the Coastal. Against UNC, Garvin received 59 snaps, Patchan 45, Hill 24, Rousseau 12. Let's call it what it is: poor personnel decisions based on shaky logic.

I'm sure there are halfway decent rationalizations and "he wasn't ready" or "we didn't see consistency in practice" (even though you and I know anyone who's seen practice saw nothing but absurdities from Rousseau) or "we wanted to ease a young guy in his first couple games." It's over now and a healthy Rousseau will be on the field, but unless the methods used to make these types of decisions get adjusted, we'll just find ourselves a step behind in another scenario (like starting two Frosh tackles in Game 1; not emphasizing the pistol/Shotgun sooner, etc.).

We shall see.

I hear what you are saying but Patchan played his best game of the season. Also, Rousseau and Hill were batting injuries in camp so I think they wanted to ease them slowly.

I hear what you are saying but Patchan played his best game of the season. Also, Rousseau and Hill were batting injuries in camp so I think they wanted to ease them slowly.

Rousseau's back was flaring up at one point in fall camp. You have to be careful with that, especially on someone with his height.

Advertisement

As you noted, to double down on that versus UNC was a travesty that plays a role in keeping us from winning the Coastal. Against UNC, Garvin received 59 snaps, Patchan 45, Hill 24, Rousseau 12. Let's call it what it is: a shaky personnel decision we didn't adjust on quickly enough.

We shall see.
Fvckin preach.

Advertisement
Back