Pat Bethel

Hstokes1447

Junior
I would love to see Pat Bethel move inside to DT like RJ McIntosh did after his freshman year. This kid could add some serious athleticism and depth to this already talented DT group.

If he does move the DT position could look like this

1. Courtel Jenkins SR
  2. Anthony Moten SR
  3. Gerald Willis RJR
  4. Kendrick Norton JR
  5. RJ McIntosh JR
  6. Pat Bethel SO
  7. Tyreic Martin RFR
  8. Jon Ford FR

Advertisement
Bethel seems like the best candidate and we did see reps at DT against VT i think on passing downs. The only problem apparently is that he's lighter in the lower body than an ideal DT. He's 6'3 260+ now so he'll need at least 20ish pounds too.

That's a lot of weight he'd have to put on and I don't like his frame with that much. And he's already a soph , that's a bunch of bad weight and quickly.

I'm not a fan of this

Advertisement
We really need to add 3-4 DTS next cycle.

Bethel inside could work. I liked what I saw from him the little he played this season

That's a lot of weight he'd have to put on and I don't like his frame with that much. And he's already a soph , that's a bunch of bad weight and quickly.

I'm not a fan of this

Apparently Diaz emphasized that they're bringing a new brand of DT to Miami and that John Ford is their ideal prototype so to speak. My guess is that we want smaller, faster Tommie Harris types at DT as Ford is technically a SDE prospect although he does have great size already. I think Harris played at 280-285 at OU, similar to Darnell Dockett.

Would be a huge boost to add Logan from LSU! I want some more guys on that d line.

Logan is actually far more important for us depthwise than Henderson. We are definitely going with transfers and JUCOs as well as graduate transfers. I don't think BOTH of Norton and Mcintosh leave early but we have to plan for that contingency.

Advertisement

I'm not a fan of this

Apparently Diaz emphasized that they're bringing a new brand of DT to Miami and that John Ford is their ideal prototype so to speak. My guess is that we want smaller, faster Tommie Harris types at DT as Ford is technically a SDE prospect although he does have great size already. I think Harris played at 280-285 at OU, similar to Darnell Dockett.

Ford is a lot bigger than Bethel, a lot longer and a 2-3 inches taller. Ford is a special dude , majorly underrated

Very real possibility we lose numbers 1-5 after this season. Really needed another one this class, and more or less must land two ready to play plus a juco next class.

Advertisement

I'm not a fan of this

The roster says he weighs 260 pounds at 6'3. Those measurements are from before the season. He could already weigh more than that.

He's still a freshman (who has half a year until he's a sophomore) who has an entire offseason program to put on weight. 6'3 280 is good size for an athletic college DT. Even if he's undersized, he's not needed for this year. He actually has a big frame so I disagree with you on that.

I see DT being his long term position. He'll be 6'3 290 starting at DT at some point in the next couple years.

I'm not a fan of this

The roster says he weighs 260 pounds at 6'3. Those measurements are from before the season. He could already weigh more than that.

He's still a freshman (who has half a year until he's a sophomore) who has an entire offseason program to put on weight. 6'3 280 is good size for an athletic college DT. Even if he's undersized, he's not needed for this year. He actually has a big frame so I disagree with you on that.

I see DT being his long term position. He'll be 6'3 290 starting at DT at some point in the next couple years.

I just don't see DT in the way he plays , or strengths. Fattening a guy up don't necessarily mean he's all of a sudden a DT. Or has the skills to play that. Just my opinion.

I know there's been guys that have done that I just don't see ur with him

I'm not a fan of this

I just don't see DT in the way he plays , or strengths. Fattening a guy up don't necessarily mean he's all of a sudden a DT. Or has the skills to play that. Just my opinion.

I don't think it'll take fattening him up at all. Muscle weighs more than fat and he doesn't seem that developed in terms of strength and adding good weight to his frame. We shall see

Advertisement

I'm not a fan of this

I don't think it'll take fattening him up at all. Muscle weighs more than fat and he doesn't seem that developed in terms of strength and adding good weight to his frame. We shall see

The good thing about Bethel is that he won't need to add that bulk up in 8 months. He's got 20 months to mold his still freshman body into something sturdy enough to at least rotate at DT.

^Coach Diaz said in his interview today that even if DJ gets bigger he will just be a bigger DE. So he's staying at DE. Coach explained that this talk came about from the All Star game, but they played him inside because he was one of the bigger kids and they needed him there.

I hope on top of hope that the scuttlebutt that Pete heard about Glenn Logan turns out to be true. We need to add two or three next cycle.

DT recruiting was a failure this year. Taking 1 was not wise. CMR alluded to a few guys potentially leaving early. Could lose 5 DTs with only Ford and Martin left.

Gotta land 4 DT, 4 corners, 4 RBs

Advertisement
Back