Pat Bethel

Advertisement
What is the obsession with sliding everybody inside?

And why does everybody think that kids gain an easy 40 pounds in college? That almost never happens.
Did you MF's not see what Golden did to some of our kids? How he ruined Chickillo by making him go from a 245lb 4-3 DE to a 287lb 3-4 DE? The kid looked terrible.

The average weight gain in college is between 20-30 pounds. Kids who grow into DT's in college are normally 270+ when they leave high school. (i.e. McIntosh) A kid like Ford, for example, is going to grow into a prototype DT.

All you people talking about a 240lb kid growing into a DT are out of your mind. DJ is skinny as ****. At 6'4"+ he'd need to gain a minimum of 50lbs to be ideal. And sorry to tell you, but he ain't putting on 50 pounds of muscle. Not gonna happen.

Nope u can do it on Madden so its a must.

Theyve been pencilling Bethel there from he signed....He isnt even that strong at DE..but apparently he will hold up at dt at major fotball at 250.

If I had to pick two posters to have lunch with it would be you two.

Is Jenkins still trying to leave?

I think he and Gray are staying.

Bethel and even DJ Johnson (eventually) could probably play inside. We need depth, not for this year, but for next.

Dj johnson will not play dt. He is only 240. Why the **** yall keep saying that?
6'4" 240 as a highschooler. He could easily be 6'5" 285 as a rs-fr ready to play.

No. Chad thomas came in at 240 and is 265 heading into his sr season. Joe jackson came in at 240 he moving to dt too? No way he is gaining 45 pounds in a year.

Is Jenkins still trying to leave?

I think he and Gray are staying.

Bethel and even DJ Johnson (eventually) could probably play inside. We need depth, not for this year, but for next.

Dj johnson will not play dt. He is only 240. Why the **** yall keep saying that?

It's a cis obsession . Make wr /te, te/ol, s/lb, lb/de and de/DT. Since JJ did in the 80's we should do it with anybody that's actually carrying nice size for the position.

RJ McIntosh, Winston, Njoku, Winslow, Najeh Davenport, Allen Bailey, and more. It's always an option to explore, especially since we are loaded at DE and paper thin at DT after next year.

Mcintosh was a 3-4 DE which is basically a DT in a 4-3. And he was 280.

Sorry I don't see us losing 3 jrs early to the NFL.

Yeah. More likely that 2 of the three will leave.

Willis lives on another planet and needs to realize he's doomed if he declares early.

Advertisement
Would be a huge boost to add Logan from LSU! I want some more guys on that d line.

Logan is actually far more important for us depthwise than Henderson. We are definitely going with transfers and JUCOs as well as graduate transfers. I don't think BOTH of Norton and Mcintosh leave early but we have to plan for that contingency.

Logan only has 1 year though, right?

And why does everybody think that kids gain an easy 40 pounds in college? That almost never happens.
Did you MF's not see what Golden did to some of our kids? How he ruined Chickillo by making him go from a 245lb 4-3 DE to a 287lb 3-4 DE? The kid looked terrible.

The average weight gain in college is between 20-30 pounds. Kids who grow into DT's in college are normally 270+ when they leave high school. (i.e. McIntosh) A kid like Ford, for example, is going to grow into a prototype DT.

All you people talking about a 240lb kid growing into a DT are out of your mind. DJ is skinny as ****. At 6'4"+ he'd need to gain a minimum of 50lbs to be ideal. And sorry to tell you, but he ain't putting on 50 pounds of muscle. Not gonna happen.

Not saying he should but in kools scheme he like athletic defensive lineman who are interchangeable at both positions. Regardless dj Johnson is definitely not skinny. He was bigger than every defensive end in his under armour dline group and that includes klavon chaisson and markevious bryant

https://twitter.com/king_dj01/status/825770398931226625

Lol man. Bryant is 217 and chaisson is 220. And kool said dj and joe are the type d-ends he wants. He said guys who will end up 260-270 and can run.

Last edited:
Advertisement
DJack or Bethel to DT seems like it has to happen if either of them wants to play.

Jackson, Garvin, Johnson, Patchan are the twitchier players that Kool seems to favor.

I can't stand the DJ to DT comments. Can we please ban the next guy that says that?

Advertisement
could easily see DJ moving inside in a year or so. check his frame & the way he carries his weight. id actually prefer it, given our numbers, but we'll see how it all shakes out.

Advertisement
could easily see DJ moving inside in a year or so. check his frame & the way he carries his weight. id actually prefer it, given our numbers, but we'll see how it all shakes out.

*checking his frame
*still a DE

What are you looking at? The kid is narrow and long. He doesn't have the frame to hold 290lbs.

Not saying he should but in kools scheme he like athletic defensive lineman who are interchangeable at both positions. Regardless dj Johnson is definitely not skinny. He was bigger than every defensive end in his under armour dline group and that includes klavon chaisson and markevious bryant

1. It isn't Kool's scheme. He's just the DL coach. It's Diaz scheme.
2. EVERYBODY in college football likes athletic D-linemen. That's not something that's exclusive to us.
3. He likes athletic 285+ guys at DT and athletic 260+ guys at DE. Just cause he prefers athletic guys on DL doesn't mean he wants to move small guys inside and get his a$$ kicked in the running game.
4. DJ is skinny. Go look at the pics of him in street clothes and compare him to other kids who have made the DE-to-DT transition. Go look at McIntosh when he was a Senior.

1. It isn't Kool's scheme. He's just the DL coach. It's Diaz scheme.
2. EVERYBODY in college football likes athletic D-linemen. That's not something that's exclusive to us.
3. He likes athletic 285+ guys at DT and athletic 260+ guys at DE. Just cause he prefers athletic guys on DL doesn't mean he wants to move small guys inside and get his a$$ kicked in the running game.
4. DJ is skinny. Go look at the pics of him in street clothes and compare him to other kids who have made the DE-to-DT transition. Go look at McIntosh when he was a Senior.

He's a dend to me

I lol'd so much at this thread. What the **** kind of Arnold Schwarzenegger training program are you going to use to gain 40lbs of muscle in a year? Playing DT is not just being a heavier DE that plays inside. I'd say McIntosh has maaaybe ten pounds on Chad Thomas but there's no way in **** you're saying, "eat a couple meatball subs and play tackle, Chad".

I do agree that they need to make DT a priority in the next cycle although I'm not super concerned about a bunch of guys dipping out early. There's nobody in the rotation at DT that screams 1st or 2nd round pick. At least not this year. I'm confident the staff knows what they have, how to use them and what they need to bring in.

Advertisement
Back