Pass rush in 2012: where does it come from?

Canesfan1899

All-American
Premium
We have all stated during this off-season that our success relies on the OL/DL, and I agree, but where do we expect the pass rush to come from?

I love Anthony Chickillo, kid has a great motor and work ethic, but he isn't a guy that is going to be a terror off the edge. I like the move of K. Cain to DE, feel like he could be solid, but is unproven and a little light in the *** for a DE.

Then we have S. Green who is always hurt, R. Williams who is a wildcard as he redshirted last year and guys like T. McCord and J. Hamilton coming in as true freshman. Feel like we will be alright in the middle but the edge pass rush has me tremendously nervous.

Advertisement
i think pierre is gonna surprise and if curtis porter can stay healthy......if hes healthy he changes the entire dynamic of the defense and the game planning

Where does Pierre play inside or out? Porter will be a difference maker against the run if healthy, but he's not much of a pass rusher. Grimble showed flashes last year, maybe he could make the leap. Just seems like we are missing an explosive edge rusher.

Gonna have to depend on Chickillo for the majority. He's relentless and is only going to get better at the position.

Shayon and Cain might end up being decent but I don't expect either one to be any better than average.

Pierre and Grimble were both nice players as freshmen but neither showed much from a pass rushing standpoint.

I expect big things from Tyriq McCord. His closing speed is rare.

Advertisement
Where does Pierre play inside or out? Porter will be a difference maker against the run if healthy, but he's not much of a pass rusher. Grimble showed flashes last year, maybe he could make the leap. Just seems like we are missing an explosive edge rusher.
not saying porter will be a pass rusher......but his presence could open things up for the LBers just because he will probably take up 2 blockers

Chickillo and I'm going to go with two freshmen McCord and O'donnel. Both guys are fast and can get around the corner. Other than that I see pressure coming from the lb position in a 3-4 set. I will hold judgement on the dt position haven't yet seen anyone from that position pressure the qb.

I hope we see some more pressure from our LBs. Guys like Perryman, Johnson, Kirby, Buchanon etc have speed and I would love to see some blitzes from the middle especially.

I expect big things from McCord but not yet.

I think Chick is going to get a bunch of sacks. He looks so much bigger and stronger than last year. Also you have to consider if a tackle is worried about Chicks strength and technique he can easily make a move to the outside (ask Seantrel). You dont always have to have elite speed to be an effective outside rusher, especially in college.

Advertisement
I was thinking we're gonna have to rely on unproven youngsters on the DL like McCord, Hamilton, maybe O'Donnell and LBs rushing off the edge.

Its a shame Ojomo got ****ed on the medical 'shirt, we could've used him this season.

Advertisement
Realistically, it'll come from decent Lb/db play and pushing teams to obvious passig downs. We havent had much pass rush in years. If porter stays healthy, that'll be a start because he can help hold the middle on running downs. It looks like we have a bunch of edge guys who can get after it if we create the down/dynamic for it.

Advertisement
I think the youngsters will be nice coming off the edge, but they will not have the awareness to contribute every down. Anyone can put their head down and rush the passer. Its knowing when to watch for the screen or the delayed hand off or hold the lineman so he doesnt get to the next level which will be the problem. That stuff comes with time and tape. Pierre, Ricardo, Cain, Hamilton, and Grimble will have to help Chickillo.

I don't see anyone on our Dline being a stellar pass rusher.

I want to see coach D dial up some more blitz packages from our LB's and DB's. Our D line scheme is gap assignment. The D line pretty much holds their guy up and occupies them and then they try to shed the block and make the tackle. I don't like it but it's something unfortunately we have to except. I can see Perryman or another LB leading the team in sacks this season with well timed blitzes.

On a side note, I really hope that our players can finally learn to disguise our blitzes. How many times have we tipped our blitz off to the offense in the past 4 years? Geez seems like every time we get ready to blitz some player forgets his *** and creeps up way to early. Our guys have to learn self control (this goes for false start penalties on O) and begin to focus and show some **** discipline. We haven't been a smart team in a really long time, maybe ever (we always rank among the highest penalized teams in all of college football dating back to Jesus walking the earth).

Advertisement
Back