Parker Braun - GT OL Grad Transfer

No. Your links do not prove that Most educated people think that way. All they prove is that most people that responded to that survey, think that way - trying to extrapolate those results and make them fit narrowly into your argument is... flawed, to put it mildly. I know you’re smart enough to know that.

Come on man. The second survey was of 3.5 million people. Yes it is flawed, but it is a lot more accurate than your "well I know 2 people that are english majors and are successful".

Advertisement
Come on man. The second survey was of 3.5 million people. Yes it is flawed, but it is a lot more accurate than your "well I know 2 people that are english majors and are successful".

You make up a lot of crap, man. But I enjoy the banter.

Ok, you’re right. A twitter poll on market watch and a “survey of 3.5 million people” (aged 22-27) that “shows” humanities majors don’t make a lot of money (never would’ve guessed that) provides definitive proof re: your contention that “most educated people deem x degrees absolutely worthless.” Sure.

I mean, I wouldn’t even be giving you such a hard time if you’d just couch your stance in a little bit of modesty. You’re trying to pass off as fact something (many things, actually) that is/are impossible to prove. And that’s just funny to me. If you’d just say, for example - most stem/finance majors will make more money than most humanities majors... there really wouldn’t be much to argue with. Though I’d still feel bad for you... that your unfortunate upbringing bred such warped views on money is quite sad.

You make up a lot of crap, man. But I enjoy the banter.

Ok, you’re right. A twitter poll on market watch and a “survey of 3.5 million people” (aged 22-27) that “shows” humanities majors don’t make a lot of money (never would’ve guessed that) provides definitive proof re: your contention that “most educated people deem x degrees absolutely worthless.” Sure.

I mean, I wouldn’t even be giving you such a hard time if you’d just couch your stance in a little bit of modesty. You’re trying to pass off as fact something (many things, actually) that is/are impossible to prove. And that’s just funny to me. If you’d just say, for example - most stem/finance majors will make more money than most humanities majors... there really wouldn’t be much to argue with. Though I’d still feel bad for you... that your unfortunate upbringing bred such warped views on money is quite sad.

It doesn't show that they don't make a lot of money. It shows they have high unemployment rates. Again, this has nothing to do with salary. I am saying that if you spend a lot of money on a degree like that. You are going to go into debt for a job that has a high unemployment rate. It is a foolish move. Even if you land a job you still would have been better off going to a cheaper school.

I only know 2 Miami grads that work on wall street and I was the only one in my class. I got my job because I did internships every summer since freshman year in NYC and I did 2(maybe 3 I don't remember) winter internships. Even with that I didn't start out with my position. I had to take a job at a smaller firm and bust my *** for 3-4 years before I was finally able to land a spot at my current company.

The vast majority of the people working on WS are top tier Ivy Grads(Harvard, Yale, Princeton, etc.) and the elite foreign schools like Oxford. Next up you have the Stanford, Cornell, Duke, ND, etc guys. You have a handful of guys from the Miamis and UFs of the world, but it is rare and almost all of them started at another job and then had to apply for entry level positions to get the job.

For example a Harvard or Yale guy may be able to land an entry level PE job as soon as they graduate College. The Miami grad would most likely need to work at another firm for a few years and then apply for an entry level PE job and be on the same level as a guy who just graduated a month ago.

We get it, you work with vastly intelligent people who are vastly smarter than the rest of it. Blow it out of your money sucking ****. No one cares.

Guess what. The world is not fair. As much as you may wish it to be true some people are more gifted than others. That is why athletes make so much money. Do you think your average burger flipper is just as gifted as Ray Lewis?

You are delusional if you don't think Wall Street, as a whole, does not have more genetically gifted people than any other field in the world.

I am trying to help people on this board. I, UNLIKE YOU, do not want to post BS to make myself feel better.

This is what is wrong with this world. You would rather see tons of kids go into crippling debt by getting a degree in English and then spending the next 30 years of their lives working it off. Just so you can feel better about your English degree.

I on the other hand would rather admit that I made the wrong choice X amount of years ago to help other people not make the same mistake as me in the future.

Who am I preaching to? To all the posters on this site who have kids. I don't want to see people make the same mistake as tons of millennials who will be paying back student loans until they are 60 and living paycheck to paycheck until they die.
How many times must I say it. It is fine to make X amount of dollars. I am saying picking a major that is most likely going to put you in crippling debt is a foolish move.

Do us all a favor, don’t procreate. We couldn’t deal with an egomaniac JR version of you

Advertisement
It doesn't show that they don't make a lot of money. It shows they have high unemployment rates. Again, this has nothing to do with salary. I am saying that if you spend a lot of money on a degree like that. You are going to go into debt for a job that has a high unemployment rate. It is a foolish move. Even if you land a job you still would have been better off going to a cheaper school.

Again, everything has to be about money, right? People “go into debt” for a lot of reasons. Being in debt is not a sign of... anything, really. Plenty of happy, “successful” people live with “crippling” debt.

And - “better off going to a cheaper school” =/= “worthless” - Thanks for playing.

Again, everything has to be about money, right? People “go into debt” for a lot of reasons. Being in debt is not a sign of... anything, really. Plenty of happy, “successful” people live with “crippling” debt.

And - “better off going to a cheaper school” =/= “worthless” - Thanks for playing.
Alright.......So guys........what's the deal with Braun?

Again. I agree. I even stated earlier that people who get MBAs or the like after college are excluded. In fact often time is is wise to choose a major like that because it will be easier to pump up your GPA. Penn is also A LOT better school than UM lol.

I even know some guys that graduated from MIT with engineering degrees who now work on WS. If you graduate top of your class at a top 10 school your major doesn't mean all that much. The interviewer is mainly thinking "hmm. if this guy/girl can finish top of their class at a school like this and THEN got an MBA/JD from this school with stellar grades than they are certainly the type of person I would like to have on my team. We can teach them the rest". It is kind of like recruiting a guy who runs a a crazy fast 40, elite vertical, and elite strength, but doesn't have the technique down. You still want to grab the kid because teaching them the technique is easy. The talent is not something you can teach.
If i was 18 again I would learn a trade and open a business in something like plumbing. AI is going to take more than 50 pct of jobs, and taking loans to get a liberal arts degree is a waste of time and money.

Advertisement
Ya...that is straight up BS. You are talking to someone that actually gets to see all of these kids transcripts. I know exactly what percentile these kids fall into. I will say it again. I did not say the entire 1% of the HYP elite are working on the street. I know top guys work in other fields. However, my point still stands. That the guys on Wall Street have, on average, are more gifted than any segment of any other field.

That is also BS about the most brilliant minds try and do something that "matters". Some will, but the majority of highly intelligent individuals are trying to find the most effective way to get as rich and powerful as possible.

Dude, I am one of the guys you’re talking about, and many of my friends from college went into banking. I don’t care what transcripts you’ve seen. I went to school with these people. The top minds mostly didn’t go to Wall Street. These are the people that will one day compete for a Nobel Prize in physics, literature, chemistry, and medical sciences, the Fields Medal, run historical associations, become U.S. Senators and Governors (though admittedly these last two aren’t exacto rocket scientists). All of these people are much smarter and more impressive than the Wall Streeters, including me. I did and still make more money than just about all of these people, but they’re in a different stratosphere intellectually. Much smarter and accomplished than me.

You don’t know what you’re talking about.

Advertisement

That is totally different than what you were saying earlier with being an English major is a good idea. People may read that and think you are saying that it is a worthwhile investment. Not "you will be in massive debt and have a good chance of being unemployed, however, at least you enjoyed your time in college". Had you said that in the first place you would have gotten no argument from me, because you weren't deceiving anyone.

Dude, I am one of the guys you’re talking about, and many of my friends from college went into banking. I don’t care what transcripts you’ve seen. I went to school with these people. The top minds mostly didn’t go to Wall Street. These are the people that will one day compete for a Nobel Prize in physics, literature, chemistry, and medical sciences, the Fields Medal, run historical associations, become U.S. Senators and Governors (though admittedly these last two aren’t exacto rocket scientists). All of these people are much smarter and more impressive than the Wall Streeters, including me. I did and still make more money than just about all of these people, but they’re in a different stratosphere intellectually. Much smarter and accomplished than me.

You don’t know what you’re talking about.

So your opinion of who is smarter is more accurate than the transcripts? I may have to email a few of these school presidents and let them know that they are sending me fraudulent transcripts. I admitted some scientists are very smart. This is beyond obvious. Everyone knows this. However, they are no smarter than the top financial minds. You seem to value knowledge of science and history over the knowledge that we possess. You think that a guy that helps with scientific breakthroughs is smarter. This is not the case. Sure, if you took Ray Dalio and had him become a physicist he may not be that successful, but if you stuck Stephen Hawking on Wall Street he probably wouldn't be successful either. That is like saying because Lebron couldn't play in the MLB that he is not as good an athlete as David Ortiz.

I will assume you are intelligent in whatever field you are in and that it comes easy to you. Just like Physics comes easy to Hawking. This may be why you think these guys are so much smarter than you. Its because they are good at something you are bad at, but you are good in something they are bad at.

You also have A LOT more competition on Wall Street compared to being a scientist. Much more people grow up wanting to be extremely rich than people growing up wanting to win Nobel Prizes. Only a very small segment of the population actually has that goal. Which makes the genetic pool a lot smaller than the genetic pool of people trying to work on Wall Street.

Also, going to school with someone doesn't make you an expert on someones intelligence. Do you think these physicists are smarter because they spend their weekends hypothesizing and reading instead of going out like the finance students? That means absolutely nothing in terms of intelligence.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back