Palm Beach Post Article on U Offensive Line for this Season

Its funny how we always hate on our OLineman and most of them wind up playing in the league...at this rate KC Mcdermott is going to be an all pro player.

The ones that make it were actually good players. This is not the case here sir. And should he get invited to someones camp, practice squad at best.

Advertisement
Some of you must have stopped watching after the 4-4 start because when McDermott was kicked out to LT and Gauthier/Gall entered the lineup the OL improved dramatically.

This....
St. Louis played very well in the final 5 games too

There's work still to be done, obviously. Considering there isn't guy firmly entrenched at any one position we have a long ways to go.

But this assertion that McDermott shouldn't see the field next year in favor of Brown is ridiculous.

Some of you must have stopped watching after the 4-4 start because when McDermott was kicked out to LT and Gauthier/Gall entered the lineup the OL improved dramatically.

This....

Did you watch the bowl game? They struggled with west virginia d-line.

It's all relative. Part of the reality is that fans have warped expectations for what an OL is supposed to be able to do despite facing talent on the other side. There are a handful of teams in College Football that have OLs that actually regularly get push on running plays. Our OL was subpar last year, for sure. But, I remember so many of the same complaints by our fans specifically regarding "getting push" in the run game when our OL consisted of Seantrel Henderson (NFL starter), Ereck Flowers (NFL starter), Brandon Linder (NFL starter), Harland Gunn (3 year starter whose strength was run blocking) and Shane McDermott (3-year starter, all-conference player).

That OL was definitely better than our OL last year, but the same complaints were made regularly regarding "getting push" run blocking. I think adjusted expectations may be needed.

Advertisement

They were still not getting any push. They couldnt even move west virginia d-line.

Wrong, dumbass. Aside from the WVU game, we ran the ball much better after McDermott went to LT and Gall replaced Linder at Center.

Last edited:

This....

It's all relative. Part of the reality is that fans have warped expectations for what an OL is supposed to be able to do despite facing talent on the other side. There are a handful of teams in College Football that have OLs that actually regularly get push on running plays. Our OL was subpar last year, for sure. But, I remember so many of the same complaints by our fans specifically regarding "getting push" in the run game when our OL consisted of Seantrel Henderson (NFL starter), Ereck Flowers (NFL starter), Brandon Linder (NFL starter), Harland Gunn (3 year starter whose strength was run blocking) and Shane McDermott (3-year starter, all-conference player).

That OL was definitely better than our OL last year, but the same complaints were made regularly regarding "getting push" run blocking. I think adjusted expectations may be needed.
Add to the fact most of us don't factor in how much a QB or RB plays a role in the OL's outcome. Imagine what Green Bay's OL would be perceived as if Aaron Rodgers' mobility within the pocket weren't elite? Imagine how bad some OL would seem if a RB had terrible vision.

*The running game is easier to quantify because of numbers like yards after contact, etc. However, pass protection is still difficult to quantify because we often can't know the playcall, how quickly the QB processed information, release of ball and mobility to step in or around the pocket.

This....

Did you watch him go against Ejuan price from Pitt? Even though he had help on a few plays but for the most part he shut him down

Advertisement
They had a cactus at QB yet still finished in the upper half in sacks allowed. And Walton, who has questionable vision and left a lot of yards on the field missing big holes, had a really nice year. The backup RB averaged 6 yards per carry.

They were still not getting any push. They couldnt even move west virginia d-line.

Wrong, dumbass. Aside from the WVU game, we ran the ball much better after McDermott went to LT and Gall replaced Linder at Center.

Wrong punk *** *****.

This....

Did you watch him go against Ejuan price from Pitt? Even though he had help on a few plays but for the most part he shut him down

He had a lot of help. There was a lot of chipping and **** going on.

I give Searls and Rick credit for making adjustments to what was a putrid o-line for most of the year. They greatly improved after shifting some guys out of the lineup or to other positions. That said, they still struggled for large portions of games. Most notably the first quarter+ of the bowl game. I'm expecting continued improvement in year 2. I don't expect an all world line but a bit more consistency in run blocking would be huge.

Advertisement
The offense struggled early against everyone except Pitt last year, which was like our 10th consecutive home game played in a driving rain storm. I'll tell ya what, maybe we should turn the sprinklers on while we play at home and see if anyone would notice, man.

I've come to the conclusion that there are those who settle for subpar performance or just good enuf. The U that I've supported for years dont settle, we dominate. The competition over the last 5 gms wasn't top 25 outside of WV overated team. So, to dismiss what happen in october is disappointing considering were trying to make that big jump to relevancy with the acc & national elites. I dont know maybe i expect to much, i should lower my standards with my beloved canes. I guess we're fine, trust the process right. Quick question, would you draft kc/linder if you were a unbias gm?

Never thought I'd ever utter these words but: I really wish Alex Gall had another year of eligibility. He was pretty solid at C when he got in there...

Advertisement
Never thought I'd ever utter these words but: I really wish Alex Gall had another year of eligibility. He was pretty solid at C when he got in there...

Just shows that players can indeed improve over time. Not every guy that sucks as a FR or SO is going to suck as a JR or SR. That said, we do have a few on our OL depth chart that I don't have a lot of hope for.

Wrong punk *** *****.

Who's to say we didn't keep McDermott outside bc he was too weak to play guard? We were pretty low on bodies at that point
Darling beat him preseason for LT. Darling can play either position.

And WVU was the only ranked team we played after the moves on OL. We struggled to run on them.

Advertisement
Back