Pack & Omier

Pointing and calling something - that you have absolutely no understanding of - dumb/awful/incompetent is so on brand for America in 2022.

Yes, the FBI investigation destroyed L’s program for 3 years. Yes, L rebounded with an elite 8 appearance and top 20 HS recruiting class. Yes, Coach L has taken the program to THREE Sweet 16s in the last 10 years.

No, it wasn’t “deserved”.
Hey dumbass you don’t know me, stop generalizing like an idiot. Just cause you say something is what you think doesn’t mean it is. You’re just some random know it all online. Other programs had same issue and did fine. It was 3-4 years to get over it like others did. He had half his good players transferring so he barely fielded a team. Maybe next you can tell us all about Goldens cloud For 5 years.

Random idiot telling people they don’t know things cause they themselves are smarter… also very on brand for ******** in 2022.

Advertisement
Hey dumbass you don’t know me, stop generalizing like an idiot. Just cause you say something is what you think doesn’t mean it is. You’re just some random know it all online. Other programs had same issue and did fine. It was 3-4 years to get over it like others did. He had half his good players transferring so he barely fielded a team. Maybe next you can tell us all about Goldens cloud For 5 years.

Random idiot telling people they don’t know things cause they themselves are smarter… also very on brand for ******** in 2022.

Smart post. Would read again.

Coach L, I like the guy. He's a decent enough coach at a school that never really has embraced or invested (hiring a big time coach) it's basketball program.

I see him as a coach that can get a team together every 3 to 4 years and make some noise. In my heart of hearts, it's more a case of those teams coming together than some grand scheme of what some believe is a wizard in charge.

The gaps in quality play are numerous. So if it's all some grand plan of his, then you've gotta explain the gaps and there's no cognizant and truthful assessment that explains that.

We aren't supposed to make it to the Sweet 16 or Elite 8. It's happened, it was amazing, but every card has been stacked against us, many above Coach L's head. That isn't his fault.

Now we've got some transfers and they came with a cost. An investment that hadn't been made before. It's legal now, but had we invested prior even above the board, it would've been at the coaching level. I've said for a long *** time we should put our money towards basketball, much more bang for your buck.

Those saying the transfers would've come without the financial backing of a NIL deal are out of their **** minds. We didn't get that before, for a plethora of reasons. Foremost, we aren't a prime basketball destination. That isn't L's fault, it's just where the basketball world was and is.

Now new frontiers and possibilities exist. I look forward to seeing where it goes. Whenever L is gone, I fully expect a big *** name on the coaching board. That's what this new administration is about.

Coach L, I like the guy. He's a decent enough coach at a school that never really has embraced or invested (hiring a big time coach) it's basketball program.

I see him as a coach that can get a team together every 3 to 4 years and make some noise. In my heart of hearts, it's more a case of those teams coming together than some grand scheme of what some believe is a wizard in charge.

The gaps in quality play are numerous. So if it's all some grand plan of his, then you've gotta explain the gaps and there's no cognizant and truthful assessment that explains that.

We aren't supposed to make it to the Sweet 16 or Elite 8. It's happened, it was amazing, but every card has been stacked against us, many above Coach L's head. That isn't his fault.

Now we've got some transfers and they came with a cost. An investment that hadn't been made before. It's legal now, but had we invested prior even above the board, it would've been at the coaching level. I've said for a long *** time we should put our money towards basketball, much more bang for your buck.

Those saying the transfers would've come without the financial backing of a NIL deal are out of their **** minds. We didn't get that before, for a plethora of reasons. Foremost, we aren't a prime basketball destination. That isn't L's fault, it's just where the basketball world was and is.

Now new frontiers and possibilities exist. I look forward to seeing where it goes. Whenever L is gone, I fully expect a big *** name on the coaching board. That's what this new administration is about.

Sheldon McClellan and Shane Larkin and Kam McGusty and Angel Rodriguez would like a word.

3 Sweet 16’s in 10 years with a 3 year lapse due to the FBI investigation killing all momentum (plus injuries and NCAA BS to the few bodies left).

So yeah if you want to complain about a sweet 16 appearance every 2-3 years… go on.

Meanwhile, we got the momentum back we had in 2016 before the FBI took the wheels off.

Advertisement
Sheldon McClellan and Shane Larkin and Kam McGusty and Angel Rodriguez would like a word.

3 Sweet 16’s in 10 years with a 3 year lapse due to the FBI investigation killing all momentum (plus injuries and NCAA BS to the few bodies left).

So yeah if you want to complain about a sweet 16 appearance every 2-3 years… go on.

Meanwhile, we got the momentum back we had in 2016 before the FBI took the wheels off.
It definitely feels like we’ve capitalized on the momentum this time and the program will be in a good place for a while. Hopefully, we can sign a good HS class in 23.

First time in a long time we've used all 13 scholarships and first time under L since Lonnie and Bruce played where we didn't have to rebuild after a strong year. 2012/2013 team was virtually all vets, we had to restock and part of that was getting Angel and Sheldon to transfer. That caused 2013/14 to be a down year as both had to sit out. Then things clicked in 2014/15, should've won the NIT if not for Jamie Luckey making the biggest bullshiz call ever (that guy should've retired a decade ago). 15/16 we made the Sweet 16 only to run into a red hot Villanova team that would win it all. 16/17 we added Bruce and Dewan, recruiting picking up momentum but our relatively inexperienced team lost to an older Michigan State team in the first round. on to 17/18 we just landed another 5 star in Lonnie as well as two 4 stars in Lykes and Gak (yes, he was overrated), We had a strong year only to lose at the buzzer to a sneaky good Loyola team in the first round. From there the FBI mess emerges and our momentum in recruiting goes to ZERO. Point is we could be better this year as Pack/Omier are exceptional replacements for Kam and Charlie and we have 4 terrific freshman coming in. The key is how long it takes to build chemistry. It took until December for this season's team to pull it together.

Change the trajectory of the program in the short term and wipe away the Adidas scandal from the Miami legacy of Coach Larranaga‘s career. He now has a chance before retirement, to put Miami basketball in the best position it’s ever been! I have a feeling DRad will be able to recruit a very high quality coach in two years.
There was no "scandal"...if anything, this is poetic justice, though I know we are basically saying the same thing.

Advertisement
IT probably takes you a few times just to comprehend anything........

Witty.

Now try to comprehend that a program with little history, minimal support, and ONE Sweet 16 in the HISTORY of the program before Coach L had NO MARGIN to weather and withstand a 2 year FBI investigation.

We’re not like Kansas or Louisville or Arizona. Maybe one day Miami will be, but not in 2018.

Do you comprehend that is why the bottom fell out for 3 years and 2 years after L and the program were cleared we were back in the sweet 16 (and on)?

He did, and I can name a ton more that did not blossom under him. Pretty much all our 1 and dones he didn't get much out of.

Yes, he does beat better rated teams frequently, but he also lost to worse ranked teams quite often as well and even more often lost to teams ranked similarly to ourselves. Are we forgetting we finished in the bottom half of the ACC the last 3 years? I would rather lose to Duke and UNC every year and finish with a winning record, than beat UNC and Duke 30% of the time and end up in the bottom half of the ACC.
Coach L took a team expected to finish towards the bottom of the ACC (without one starter originally ranked in the Top 50 coming out of HS) all the way to the Elite 8 (and had a lead on the eventual National Champions half way through the game). How can anyone possibly argue that he doesn't develop his players effectively? I loved watching that team but, if we're being honest, based on talent and recruiting rankings a realistic expectation would have been a ranking somewhere towards the bottom of the Top 50. Instead, they made it to the Elite 8. That's incredibly impressive coaching and player development.

If Ruiz really supports Coach L (and he can start consistently getting top players ranked in the Top 50), we could be a perennial powerhouse (at least until Coach L retires).

Coach L took a team expected to finish towards the bottom of the ACC (without one starter originally ranked in the Top 50 coming out of HS) all the way to the Elite 8 (and had a lead on the eventual National Champions half way through the game). How can anyone possibly argue that he doesn't develop his players effectively? I loved watching that team but, if we're being honest, based on talent and recruiting rankings a realistic expectation would have been a ranking somewhere towards the bottom of the Top 50. Instead, they made it to the Elite 8. That's incredibly impressive coaching and player development.

If Ruiz really supports Coach L (and he can start consistently getting top players ranked in the Top 50), we could be a perennial powerhouse (at least until Coach L retires).
Some of our best players were transfers. We have had periods of time were we were getting top 50 players. Like Lonnie and we didn't do schit with them. Coach L had a team with no top 50 talent, because he didn't recruit any. That is his fault.

Some of our best players were transfers. We have had periods of time were we were getting top 50 players. Like Lonnie and we didn't do schit with them. Coach L had a team with no top 50 talent, because he didn't recruit any. That is his fault.
Transfers, not HS recruits, by and large have led to whatever success this program has had. Going back decades before a Transfer Portal was ever envisioned.

As for Lonnie, the issue of whether he was overrated by those "experts" who assign "stars," or L and his staff failed to develop his skills is an open question. Personally, I'd go with the former, along with him being one year removed from high school ball.

Advertisement
Transfers, not HS recruits, by and large have led to whatever success this program has had. Going back decades before a Transfer Portal was ever envisioned.

As for Lonnie, the issue of whether he was overrated by those "experts" who assign "stars," or L and his staff failed to develop his skills is an open question. Personally, I'd go with the former, along with him being one year removed from high school ball.
Lonnie is having a pretty solid NBA career which is more than 99% of CBB players can say. So he is certainly very talented.

Lonnie is having a pretty solid NBA career which is more than 99% of CBB players can say. So he is certainly very talented.
Agree. Seems his development mainly occurred in the NBA.

While here, I'm hard-pressed to think of any aspect of his game that screamed "5 star recruit." His handle, rebounding, passing, defense -- and certainly his outside shot -- were not at that level as a UM frosh. There are 5 stars whio immediately make a strong impact right away, and others who need a year or so ...

Lonnie was ranked 16th coming out of high school and got drafted 18th, so the nba certainly didn’t see him as over rated.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back