Pack & Omier

canesstevealum08

"Wyatt, I am rolling!"
Premium
Change the trajectory of the program in the short term and wipe away the Adidas scandal from the Miami legacy of Coach Larranaga‘s career. He now has a chance before retirement, to put Miami basketball in the best position it’s ever been! I have a feeling DRad will be able to recruit a very high quality coach in two years.

Advertisement
The best part of these 2 additions is that both players will likely be here for 2+ years. I don’t see a 6’0 guard and/or a 6’7 back to the basket big leaving early for the NBA especially with the size of the contracts the 2 are getting from Life Wallet. They will be a threat to replicate what they did this past year in the 2022-23 season. In the following year they really have a shot at taking the leap into making a final four run and beyond with another solid recruiting class and the maturation of Casey, etc. and maybe a portal guy.

All I want is a coach who’s going to continue our DC/NJ/NY pipeline after L leaves. Ever since we started putting the ground work in those areas the program has completely flipped.
Miami has ALWAYS recruited well in that area. Ham and Clark did well there, it dropped under Haith, who emphasized the Carolinas instead. That said, any high end coach would be able to sell Miami to those kids and they have always been responsive to the Miami sales pitch.

Advertisement
Is this some sort of victory lap? The dude was awful in every aspect the last 3-4 years so it was deserved.
As with every UM HC, his recruiting from the HS ranks left a lot to be desired. Seems it would take some recruiting superman like a Pitino or Calipari at the peaks to overcome that seemingly insurmountable challenge. Coach L, like all those before him, benefiited mostly from JuCos and Transfers.

Now, of course, the Portal and NIL have relegated HS recruiting almost to a back burner so HS recruiting shortcomings no longer matter as much. IMO, never was anything wrong with his technical coaching ability.

Is this some sort of victory lap? The dude was awful in every aspect the last 3-4 years so it was deserved.

Pointing and calling something - that you have absolutely no understanding of - dumb/awful/incompetent is so on brand for America in 2022.

Yes, the FBI investigation destroyed L’s program for 3 years. Yes, L rebounded with an elite 8 appearance and top 20 HS recruiting class. Yes, Coach L has taken the program to THREE Sweet 16s in the last 10 years.

No, it wasn’t “deserved”.

I seemed like it had taken the wind out of his sails. He didn't coach like the same guy. We had players jumping ship. I can see where the criticism comes from. He wasn't the same coach. I wouldn't call him awful because plenty of coaches lose their edge as they age.

But he sure showed that wasn't the case. It was like the past 4 years never happened.

Advertisement
As with every UM HC, his recruiting from the HS ranks left a lot to be desired. Seems it would take some recruiting superman like a Pitino or Calipari at the peaks to overcome that seemingly insurmountable challenge. Coach L, like all those before him, benefiited mostly from JuCos and Transfers.

Now, of course, the Portal and NIL have relegated HS recruiting almost to a back burner so HS recruiting shortcomings no longer matter as much. IMO, never was anything wrong with his technical coaching ability.
I think you hit the nail on the head.... Coach L has had lot more success with transfers and he does well with experienced players... which abounds now with the NILin place

I seemed like it had taken the wind out of his sails. He didn't coach like the same guy. We had players jumping ship. I can see where the criticism comes from. He wasn't the same coach. I wouldn't call him awful because plenty of coaches lose their edge as they age.

But he sure showed that wasn't the case. It was like the past 4 years never happened.
Some how with BJ and gang leaving town, performance in all sports seem to have exploded. It almost seems like a curse had lifted off Coral Gables.... unbelievable

He was stinking it up until new bosses came in town. Then again that could be said about baseball and obviously football too.
But I am super glad he turned it around. Hopefully he can keep the momentum and get us to the Final Four next season.

He was stinking it up until new bosses came in town. Then again that could be said about baseball and obviously football too.
But I am super glad he turned it around. Hopefully he can keep the momentum and get us to the Final Four next season.

3 Sweet 16’s in 10 years is stinking it up?

Yes - over and over and over again - the FBI investigation knocked L and the program down for three years. But he was never stinking it up.

And 2 years after being cleared he was in the elite 8.

Advertisement
3 Sweet 16’s in 10 years is stinking it up?

Yes - over and over and over again - the FBI investigation knocked L and the program down for three years. But he was never stinking it up.

And 2 years after being cleared he was in the elite 8.
Not for a school like Miami. but 1 sweet 16 in 8 years with no tournament appearences in 3 with losing records and finishing close to last in the conf 3 years in a row, is stinking it up. L turned it around and we are all happy, but the guys who were calling for his firing, should not be mocked because they had a lot of great points when he was stinking it up.

Not for a school like Miami. but 1 sweet 16 in 8 years with no tournament appearences in 3 with losing records and finishing close to last in the conf 3 years in a row, is stinking it up. L turned it around and we are all happy, but the guys who were calling for his firing, should not be mocked because they had a lot of great points when he was stinking it up.
LOL

Advertisement

You still can’t figure out that you were completely wrong and if anybody listened to you miami basketball would have been set back a decade.

Now I’ll go enjoy the elite 8, top 20 hs class, and top 10 transfer class Coach L has put together.

You still can’t figure out that you were completely wrong and if anybody listened to you miami basketball would have been set back a decade.

Now I’ll go enjoy the elite 8, top 20 hs class, and top 10 transfer class Coach L has put together.
What? I was not one of the people that was calling for L to be fired. I said numerous times that we probably wouldn't be able to hire a better coach than him.

That said, anyone calling for him to be fired had the right to say that. He was terrible the last few years. One good year doesn't all of a sudden make them wrong. Without Ruiz we wouldn't have these players so putting that all on L is laughable.

Advertisement
Back