Pack & Omier

Yes, we got 1 Top-100 kid (Casey is 67), but Aire is 111 and Watson 139. It's not like they're ranked 500 or something. Jovanovich is 189.
Yes. I am not bashing L and I am happy about our class. But the guy I was originally arguing with was making it seem like this was some super elite class that should have saved Ls career even if he had another season like last year.

Advertisement
Class ranking doesn't matter much, especially in basketball, where if you get 1 extra kid in your class you now may have .33% more kids than other schools. The fact remains we got 1 top 100 kid, that isn't some sort of huge accomplishment.

IDK why @AmherstCane is agreeing with you though, since he disagrees that Miami was recruiting with 1 hand tied behind our back and that kids don't care about money getting paid to them, they got where they will best develop every single time.

Of course Miami was recruiting with 1 hand tied behind our back. We weren’t buying players. Coach L was ACTUALLY following the rules.

And before/after the FBI fiasco he was STILL getting recruiting classes and transfers good enough to make us a top 15 program.

OF COURSE Ruiz and NIL helps. That might put us in top 5-10 territory in basketball.

But Pack and Omier wanted to come here because of Coach L, and Ruiz just made that decision easier for them so they wouldn’t be at a financial disadvantage in doing so.

Of course Miami was recruiting with 1 hand tied behind our back. We weren’t buying players. Coach L was ACTUALLY following the rules.

And before/after the FBI fiasco he was STILL getting recruiting classes and transfers good enough to make us a top 15 program.

OF COURSE Ruiz and NIL helps. That might put us in top 5-10 territory in basketball.

But Pack and Omier wanted to come here because of Coach L, and Ruiz just made that decision easier for them so they wouldn’t be at a financial disadvantage in doing so.
Good enough to be top 15? we were barely top 15 in the ACC the past 3 seasons prior to this year.

We got 1 top 100 kid this season. In the past we have had a class that had 2 top 30 kids in it and another one with 2 top 70 kids with one kid being top 20. So no, I don't think this class is anything to brag about, before Ruiz got involved and landed elite transfers.

Also, you are pretty much proving my point that Ruiz is a huge draw here and the reason why we are now going to be winning recruiting battles that we would have lost previously.
According to ESPN, Miami got 2 top 100 guys. You act like Miami should be expecting to get 5 elite guys per year. Going by the ESPN rankings, Miami got a decent share, especially when you look at how other schools did. Duke, UNC, Kansas and Kentucky combined to sign 14 top 100 guys by themselves. That's 4 schools. Miami got just as many top 100 guys as Kentucky AND supplemented that with some high end transfers. That's a **** good haul no matter how you view it. Is it landing Lykes and Lonnie(The highest rated class in program history?)? No, but it isn't trash, like you are portraying it as. Miami stacks top 20 classes regularly and this program will be **** good, especially when you look at how L develops talent.

According to ESPN, Miami got 2 top 100 guys. You act like Miami should be expecting to get 5 elite guys per year. Going by the ESPN rankings, Miami got a decent share, especially when you look at how other schools did. Duke, UNC, Kansas and Kentucky combined to sign 14 top 100 guys by themselves. That's 4 schools. Miami got just as many top 100 guys as Kentucky AND supplemented that with some high end transfers. That's a **** good haul no matter how you view it. Is it landing Lykes and Lonnie(The highest rated class in program history?)? No, but it isn't trash, like you are portraying it as. Miami stacks top 20 classes regularly and this program will be **** good, especially when you look at how L develops talent.
LMFAO! Who tf goes by espn? The 247 composite is what everybody goes by, unless you are a homer and another one ranks your players better.

Also, LMFAO at comparing our class to Kentuckys. Kentucky got 2 top 100 guys. the no 7 guy and the no 10. That is an elite class. Miami got 1 top 100 guy and he was 67.

Its not a "**** good haul" its decent. The transfers are **** good, which I have been saying, but that was thanks to Ruiz.

Also, Since when has L developed Power forwards and centers? Even our guards most of the time have not developed very well under L. Lykes is a great example. Newton is another example. For the handful of Angel Garcias we had, there are just as many busts at guards. The furthest we ever went with L was a team loaded with transfers, that he didn't develop.

Advertisement
LMFAO! Who tf goes by espn? The 247 composite is what everybody goes by, unless you are a homer and another one ranks your players better.

Also, LMFAO at comparing our class to Kentuckys. Kentucky got 2 top 100 guys. the no 7 guy and the no 10. That is an elite class. Miami got 1 top 100 guy and he was 67.

Its not a "**** good haul" its decent. The transfers are **** good, which I have been saying, but that was thanks to Ruiz.

Also, Since when has L developed Power forwards and centers? Even our guards most of the time have not developed very well under L. Lykes is a great example. Newton is another example. For the handful of Angel Garcias we had, there are just as many busts at guards. The furthest we ever went with L was a team loaded with transfers, that he didn't develop.
He didn't develop Wong and McGusty? Guys like Tonye Jekiri, Julian Gamble and Kenny Kadji didn't blossom under L. He didn't develop McClellan? People act like every transfer coming in is a finished product. He values experience over sheer talent, mostly because of his coaching style. By the way, Charlie Moore, a guy that bounced around from school to school finally found a place to shine thanks to L. Sometimes, it's not about long term development, it's about getting the most out of a guy and his skill set. It's not like most guys are going to stay for 4 years anyway.

L has done a good job in getting the most out of his teams throughout his tenure. How many coaches could consistently beat blue bloods like Duke and UNC, despite not rolling out similarly talented teams?

He didn't develop Wong and McGusty? Guys like Tonye Jekiri, Julian Gamble and Kenny Kadji didn't blossom under L. He didn't develop McClellan? People act like every transfer coming in is a finished product. He values experience over sheer talent, mostly because of his coaching style. By the way, Charlie Moore, a guy that bounced around from school to school finally found a place to shine thanks to L. Sometimes, it's not about long term development, it's about getting the most out of a guy and his skill set. It's not like most guys are going to stay for 4 years anyway.

L has done a good job in getting the most out of his teams throughout his tenure. How many coaches could consistently beat blue bloods like Duke and UNC, despite not rolling out similarly talented teams?
He did, and I can name a ton more that did not blossom under him. Pretty much all our 1 and dones he didn't get much out of.

Yes, he does beat better rated teams frequently, but he also lost to worse ranked teams quite often as well and even more often lost to teams ranked similarly to ourselves. Are we forgetting we finished in the bottom half of the ACC the last 3 years? I would rather lose to Duke and UNC every year and finish with a winning record, than beat UNC and Duke 30% of the time and end up in the bottom half of the ACC.

He did, and I can name a ton more that did not blossom under him. Pretty much all our 1 and dones he didn't get much out of.

Yes, he does beat better rated teams frequently, but he also lost to worse ranked teams quite often as well and even more often lost to teams ranked similarly to ourselves. Are we forgetting we finished in the bottom half of the ACC the last 3 years? I would rather lose to Duke and UNC every year and finish with a winning record, than beat UNC and Duke 30% of the time and end up in the bottom half of the ACC.
It's a 1 and done. Unless it's a Zion level talent, you aren't going to affect much as a coach. Keep in mind, a guy like Lonnie spent a lot of his first year injured and having issues fitting with Bruce Brown, who stayed 2 years.

I love how you forget what happened over the last couple of seasons. Yep, not having bodies sure as **** hurt. This was the first time in years that L had 7-8 healthy bodies for most.of the season.

It's a 1 and done. Unless it's a Zion level talent, you aren't going to affect much as a coach. Keep in mind, a guy like Lonnie spent a lot of his first year injured and having issues fitting with Bruce Brown, who stayed 2 years.

I love how you forget what happened over the last couple of seasons. Yep, not having bodies sure as **** hurt. This was the first time in years that L had 7-8 healthy bodies for most.of the season.
You were literally just talking about how he got it all out of a 1 year transfer. You can't say he can't get it all out of a 1 year recruit then turn around and say he was getting it all out of a 1 year transfer.

I didn't forget, that was absolute terrible roster management by L. Its no excuse, he was the reason we had such a depleted roster. He was even kicking kids off the team making it even more depleted.

Advertisement
Confused Jim Carrey GIF

Advertisement
Yup, its not just the Gators that massively exaggerate the talent of their coaches. There must be something in Floridas water.
I'd like to think that most folks here call it like they see it. We do have some that are blinded by their love and some even by the hate. Some are so enamored with Coach L and his staff that they find every excuse in the book to not acknowledge the debacle of the last few years our program had gone through. There is also a small number of haters who will jump at every opportunity to spew vitriol in the coaches direction for any minute reason. In large part, I think most of us recognize the decrepit condition our program was in last few years and are ecstatic with the turnaround and current trajectory we're now seeing.

Can we agree that L is ONLY the best coach my school has ever had?

(Ham was on his way before MJ took him)
After this past season and the reemergence our hoops program as seen, I don't think there's any question Coach L is the best HC we've had at least since the resurrection back in 85, likely ever.

I'd like to think that most folks here call it like they see it. We do have some that are blinded by their love and some even by the hate. Some are so enamored with Coach L and his staff that they find every excuse in the book to not acknowledge the debacle of the last few years our program had gone through. There is also a small number of haters who will jump at every opportunity to spew vitriol at the coaches for any minute reason. In large part, I think most of us recognize the decrepit condition our program was in last few years and are ecstatic with the turnaround and current trajectory we're now seeing.
Yes, especially on the basketball board. It seems like the Bball fans do tend to have most of the fans calling it like they see it. But we do have some crazy L slurpers. I started this whole convo defending L and talked about how I defended L in the past, but it wasn't enough for the slurpers. I didn't slurp him hard enough for their liking.

Advertisement
Yes, especially on the basketball board. It seems like the Bball fans do tend to have most of the fans calling it like they see it. But we do have some crazy L slurpers. I started this whole convo defending L and talked about how I defended L in the past, but it wasn't enough for the slurpers. I didn't slurp him hard enough for their liking.
It’s never enough. Slurp longer and harder next time

I'd like to think that most folks here call it like they see it. We do have some that are blinded by their love and some even by the hate. Some are so enamored with Coach L and his staff that they find every excuse in the book to not acknowledge the debacle of the last few years our program had gone through. There is also a small number of haters who will jump at every opportunity to spew vitriol in the coaches direction for any minute reason. In large part, I think most of us recognize the decrepit condition our program was in last few years and are ecstatic with the turnaround and current trajectory we're now seeing.
Say it louder for the people in the back 👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻

Advertisement
Back