Pac 12 Players Asking for 50% of revenue to play this year

I don’t think these kids understand economics

Quite contrary, its obvious that they finally do.

Bigtime football is awash with $$$.

The players see EVERYONE else getting paid....except for the ones doing the actual work and playing on the field.

Don't tell me about the NCAA chump change atheletic scholarships. I had academic scholarships, and knew others on scholarships that allowed us to live many times better than any player while in college with no restrictions on additional income, besides maintaining a grade point average.

Last edited:
Advertisement

The players see EVERYONE else getting paid....except for the ones doing the actual work and playing on the field.

Don't tell me about the NCAA chump change scholarships. I had academic scholarships that allowed me to live many times better than any player while in college with no restrictions on additional income, besides maintaining a grade point average.
To an extent I can see that side of the argument and respect it. I have no problem with the image and likeness rules being bounced around which could help individuals make money based on performance or hype or a combination of the two.

But have you seen all the facilities some Big Time programs have now? Forget about free tuition and room and board , now they have bowling alleys and fine dining options and water slides.

No one needs to shed any tears for big time athletes participating in amateur athletics.

"College sports must provide proper centralized leadership that governs the sport and faces proper oversight." - ESPN

No. The public interest never includes the interests of all the public. (e.g. speech on campus) The private sector should take over - not public universities that get state and federal (everybodies') money but only allocate it back to part of the public interest. Take football out of the public university system and make it private; the rest will sort itself out **** quick.
Private teams can affiliate with a college if they want to and public universities can urge students and faculty to support a particular team and boosters can, as well- but no money goes from the public university coffers to the football company, period. Same rule for private universities that receive state and federal monies. Private universities - who don't receive state and federal monies- can do what they want with their money.
Then - players can get paid exactly what they're worth which is exactly what they deserve . . . that's justice . . . and if the team is located near a university, they can go to school at the same time on their dime . . . If the players feel there's no longer adequate value flowing to them from the university system experience as it is now - scrap it - and stop using taxpayers' money to subsidize it . . .

Harsh for a football site and fan, I know . . . But, it's just a thought . . .

To an extent I can see that side of the argument and respect it. I have no problem with the image and likeness rules being bounced around which could help individuals make money based on performance or hype or a combination of the two.

But have you seen all the facilities some Big Time programs have now? Forget about free tuition and room and board , now they have bowling alleys and fine dining options and water slides.

No one needs to shed any tears for big time athletes participating in amateur athletics.

Yes I have. Am I mpressed? Meh. I've also been to company towns...so I know the getover mindset.

I too could go to fine dining places, bowl etc etc around campus and could be around any group that I wished (Not just other athletes).....but most importantly earn extra $$$ to my heart's content without a useless organization (ncaa) keeping tabs on my every move.

I always know that someone is being shortchanged whenever they say that he should be grateful.

Nothing wrong with the extra perks...because you want him there ...but its just unamerican for someone not to be able to profit from their own efforts

Yes I have. Am I mpressed? Meh. I've also been to company towns...so I know the getover mindset.

I too could go to fine dining places, bowl etc etc around campus and could be around any group that I wished (Not just other athletes).....but most importantly earn extra $$$ to my heart's content without a useless organization (ncaa) keeping tabs on my every move.

I always know that someone is being shortchanged whenever they say that he should be grateful.

Nothing wrong with the extra perks...because you want him there ...but its just unamerican for someone not to be able to profit from their own efforts
They will have to compromise too though.
As stated, they may have to sign contracts to play , in some cases until they graduate which will be up to the University;'s discretion. There could be various ethics clauses that could suspend their pay. They will have to follow stricter company policies. Probably involving random alcohol/ drug tests etc depending on various State rules and regulations and College staff policies.

Most University staff I know are laughing at them thinking being paid is going to make them feel more liberated and free from the man. It may do the opposite

Advertisement
They will have to compromise too though.
As stated, they may have to sign contracts to play , in some cases until they graduate which will be up to the University;'s discretion. There could be various ethics clauses that could suspend their pay. They will have to follow stricter company policies. Probably involving random alcohol/ drug tests etc depending on various State rules and regulations and College staff policies.

Most University staff I know are laughing at them thinking being paid is going to make them feel more liberated and free from the man. It may do the opposite

Yes they would have to follow the same rules as other University employees.

I see nothing wrong with that

Anyone viewing getting paid as worse than the status quo of not being paid...is quite simply nuts.

Much rather have problems with $$$ than problems without $$$.

Good discussion. Take care

You really think that these top end guys wouldn't be doing something else? By the way, the "They get a scholarship" argument is garbage because of the fact that the educations they receive are sketchy at best. Most of these schools have NO intention of truly educating these kids. If they did, they would expect the typical incoming student athlete to have a similar academic profile to the rest of the student body. They don't. If it was truly about education, then the UNC basketball program wouldn't exist today. That program had a decades long run of institutionally supported academic fraud, no punishment whatsoever from the NCAA or the ACC.

There's a reason why people don't line up to watch NAIA or FCS ball. It's because no one gives a **** about second and third tier athletes. These top end athletes know that they have some leverage and while they may have overreached, they are doing something they should have done decades ago. College sports is the ONLY industry in which everyone else gets paid, EXCEPT for the labor. You aren't finding these athletes on every corner, you sure as **** aren't finding the high end guys working at the five and dime.
Yea that's why most schools spend a fortune on tutors because they don't want to educate the players. LMAO A degree from UM is hardly something to laugh at. Show them the door.

Yes they would have to follow the same rules as other University employees.

I see nothing wrong with that

Anyone viewing getting paid as worse than the status quo of not being paid...is quite simply nuts.

Much rather have problems with $$$ than problems without $$$.

Good discussion. Take care
We get into other issues like ...

...Some players are worth more than others.

So there will have to be some sort of work related pay scale based on certain criteria (starting unit, * level, etc.).

Also "problems with money than without" line... ...many NFL Rookies are irresponsible with their money. The NFL even has counseling and money experts and we still see idiots blowing their money like it is nothing and making really poor choices at what, 21. 22 years of age?

Good luck with 18 year olds, many of whom have no sense of direction or idea about how real life works.

Advertisement
Telenovella mode ACTIVATED.

It would appear players NOTIFIED.

"...Washington State has reportedly released multiple players from the team who shared the “WeAreUnited” message..."

The workers shouldn't be glorified wage slaves either. It's amazing that people have no problem with these oligarchs ******** over the working class, failing to understand that ensuring that a working person has the means to survive and thrive is key to any system surviving. You can have a capitalist society, and not doom the typical working class person to a miserable, desperate existence. Then again, when you have people that think that they are part of "The Club", even though they aren't, they will bootlick for those that couldn't care less about any of us.

Remember, it's rugged individualism for us, but socialized capitalism for the wealthy. They stack the deck in their favor and then get mad when the rest of us point out that the game is utterly rigged.
Some people dont think the pareto principle be like it is, but it do.

Advertisement

Don't tell me about the NCAA chump change atheletic scholarships. I had academic scholarships, and knew others on scholarships that allowed us to live many times better than any player while in college with no restrictions on additional income, besides maintaining a grade point average.
Who do they actually see getting paid when you say they see EVERYONE?

Big time football appears to be flooded with cash, but the arms race has spent all of that cash to keep up or it’s been put to other sports. If you haven’t noticed during Covid, colleges are poorly run businesses anymore

Head coaches and coordinators are the only folks associated with the football program who are overpaid. All the position coaches, support staff, trainers, etc are paid fairly for what they do, which is a lot.

I don’t have a problem with players getting paid for their likeness. That should be allowed and encouraged, but expecting schools to pay 50% of revenue as a salary to students is absurd. Not only is it absurd, it’s impossible to implement within the current system.

Advertisement
We get into other issues like ...

...Some players are worth more than others.

So there will have to be some sort of work related pay scale based on certain criteria (starting unit, * level, etc.).

Also "problems with money than without" line... ...many NFL Rookies are irresponsible with their money. The NFL even has counseling and money experts and we still see idiots blowing their money like it is nothing and making really poor choices at what, 21. 22 years of age?

Good luck with 18 year olds, many of whom have no sense of direction or idea about how real life works.

YES....just like in the rest of real life. Some are worth or paid more than others.

All the many other issues that arise are manageable and have market driven solutions....ALL of which are better than "NOT paying them for their own good."

Imagine you or your son's boss telling you he's not going to pay you for your own good because he's heard stories about people blowing $$$!!...you'd say WTF does that have to do with me??!! And rightly so.

Cmon the college years are your learning years...so what better time to learn how to manage $$$.

Better then in college, than when you go into the NFL making BIG$$$$

YES....just like in the rest of real life. Some are worth or paid more than others.

All the many other issues that arise are manageable and have market driven solutions....ALL of which are better than "NOT paying them for their own good."

Imagine you or your son's boss telling you he's not going to pay you for your own good because he's heard stories about people blowing $$$!!...you'd say WTF does that have to do with me??!! And rightly so.

Cmon the college years are your learning years...so what better time to learn how to manage $$$.

Except these players took the deal, aka the scholarship, knowing full well what their compensation package would Look like. Plus the NCAA/ college provides the enormous platform for these kids to make their name. It’s kind of like Zion Williamson, if he had went overseas to play instead of duke, there is no chance he would have gotten the endorsements/money he did right away because his one year at duke made him a US superstar. A year in China or wherever wouldn’t have done that.

I am for real market solutions but there has to be a plan and concessions on both sides and I think both parties are not really willing to budge.
It is not easy to implement and there are going to be too many issues and headaches that go along with them being treated as staff or school employees. There will be belly aching on both sides so let's not make it seem like it is like all other ways of life or business.

Advertisement
Back