Pac 12 Players Asking for 50% of revenue to play this year

Good for the players for standing up. Now with that being said, some of their demands are absolutely asinine, but that's besides the point (Negotiations are better than nothing).

Advertisement
So players get 50% and the school, coaches, team doctors, staff that feeds them, the staff that trains them, countless workers around the stadium and game all split the other 50%. Except all of those people still have to pay for their housing, meals, and education.
Ohhh....ahhhh.....that's how it always starts...

but then later there is running and screaming...

The stark reality of economics.

...If you think these guys would actually be millionaires playing college football, I'll ask you to look at minor league baseball salaries...
Very strong point.

Much at play and I still believe HBCUs could be a wild card.

With that said, perhaps P5 morphs into each NFL franchise "adopting" one (or more) school(s) as D1P5 just becomes more an out-in-the-open farm system.

It's not about being millionaires. They're missing out on massive amounts of wealth on the free market. Top players could gross over a million in 3 years. That would in turn deflate the coaches salaries, constant facility upgrades, etc. The problem is we're making all of these determinations on what the players would make without letting the market set that. If you think they'd just fill the rosters with less good players, then that's even more reason to let the market determine that.

5 star prospects would get paid out based on what their perceived value is, 4 stars, etc.
So continue cash and in-kind taxpayer subsidies of these programs (at least state programs...argument could be made at private unis too).?

Demanding 50% of revenue while demanding Stanford reinstate all the programs they cancelled is insane. Really, 50% of revenue is insane.

But the health insurance should be guaranteed and the kids should get paid in some fashion.

yeah they should get 100 percent of it. theyre the reason these pos coaches make the millions they do. Saban would just be a short ******* if it weren't for the kids

Advertisement
They are making "demands" LMAO......they are also getting scholarships worth $40-50k. Where would they be without that scholarship to play for said school? If they don't want to play someone will gladly take their spot. This is all about lawyers trying to make a buck being sleazy and trying to influence dumb kids who are being sold a bill of goods. How many are really good enough to make it to the NFL? Wake up time. Oh wait, this is Oregon, Wash & Cal where idiots reign supreme. :hammering-head:

You really think that these top end guys wouldn't be doing something else? By the way, the "They get a scholarship" argument is garbage because of the fact that the educations they receive are sketchy at best. Most of these schools have NO intention of truly educating these kids. If they did, they would expect the typical incoming student athlete to have a similar academic profile to the rest of the student body. They don't. If it was truly about education, then the UNC basketball program wouldn't exist today. That program had a decades long run of institutionally supported academic fraud, no punishment whatsoever from the NCAA or the ACC.

There's a reason why people don't line up to watch NAIA or FCS ball. It's because no one gives a **** about second and third tier athletes. These top end athletes know that they have some leverage and while they may have overreached, they are doing something they should have done decades ago. College sports is the ONLY industry in which everyone else gets paid, EXCEPT for the labor. You aren't finding these athletes on every corner, you sure as **** aren't finding the high end guys working at the five and dime.

So players get 50% and the school, coaches, team doctors, staff that feeds them, the staff that trains them, countless workers around the stadium and game all split the other 50%. Except all of those people still have to pay for their housing, meals, and education.
And? Why is it that capitalism is perfectly fine for Coaches, ADs, staff and everyone else associated with the athletic department, but the actual talent is supposed to be happy with a pre fixed arrangement? Amazing how many bootlickers we have on this board, and in society at large. I wouldn't expect an intern to work for an ancillary benefit, I sure as **** don't expect someone who is potentially risking long term physical damage to do either. Either you can pay these guys a market based wage, or colleges shouldn't be running semi pro sports entities. Frankly, the emphasis on collegiate athletics at the D1 level hurts the typical student, far more than helps. Schools would exist without sports, at least the well managed ones would.

Do you want to watch Clayton Kershaw, or the AA guy that gets called up to replace him?

I agree that it would take a large number of kids to get it done. And it can't just be the walkons, there needs to be some big names (keep in mind, the 1st round CB from VT is already sitting out).

But to say they have no leverage is simply untrue. Part of the leverage will come from Fox/Espn, as I said. Money talks. And maybe USC was a bad example. Here's a quick google on Alabama during the Saban era:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/tomvan...everyone-wants-to-go-to-alabama/#3c71d5f5393a

If you dont think sports play a part in a universities enrollment, then I don't know what to say.

It doesn't play the role you think it does. Yes, you may get increased applications based on additional marketing muscle, but the schools worth a **** aren't diploma mills. They are still selective, and schools that sacrifice quality for quantity eventually end up paying the price.

It doesn't play the role you think it does. Yes, you may get increased applications based on additional marketing muscle, but the schools worth a **** aren't diploma mills. They are still selective, and schools that sacrifice quality for quantity eventually end up paying the price.
So what about the schools not "worth a ****"? Do you think the entire institution is not at risk? Read my followup posts and give me your best retort.

Advertisement
LOL, they are amateurs. There is a clear solution to this. If they want to be paid so bad, they should be allowed to declare for the draft after high school. They get more than the average student athlete already, this is getting ridiculous. If not, there are other professional football leagues worldwide, just like basketball. Ply your trade while being paid elsewhere if you don't want a scholarship to any of these prestigious univerisites.

Who the **** does Elon Musk think he is making millions., He wouldn't be anywhere without the guy turning a wrench in his factory. Same with Bezos, Edison, Ford, etc.

The workers should control the means of production!

So what about the schools not "worth a ****"? Do you think the entire institution is not at risk? Read my followup posts and give me your best retort.

If you really think that STATE FLAGSHIP institutions are so incredibly mismanaged that the elimination of athletics programs would lead to their demise, then you are sorely mistaken. Then again, we are talking about schools like Alabama and LSU, hardly forward thinking institutions. This is the problem, people like you think that schools are run around athletic departments. It's the research wings that provide the bulk of funding for the institution. Tuition is a big part of the equation, but kids are going to go to Alabama regardless of whether there's a football program or not. It's the state flagship. Same with Ohio State. Same with Texas, same with dozens of other schools.

Advertisement
Who the **** does Elon Musk think he is making millions., He wouldn't be anywhere without the guy turning a wrench in his factory. Same with Bezos, Edison, Ford, etc.

The workers should control the means of production!

The workers shouldn't be glorified wage slaves either. It's amazing that people have no problem with these oligarchs ******** over the working class, failing to understand that ensuring that a working person has the means to survive and thrive is key to any system surviving. You can have a capitalist society, and not doom the typical working class person to a miserable, desperate existence. Then again, when you have people that think that they are part of "The Club", even though they aren't, they will bootlick for those that couldn't care less about any of us.

Remember, it's rugged individualism for us, but socialized capitalism for the wealthy. They stack the deck in their favor and then get mad when the rest of us point out that the game is utterly rigged.

If you really think that STATE FLAGSHIP institutions are so incredibly mismanaged that the elimination of athletics programs would lead to their demise, then you are sorely mistaken. Then again, we are talking about schools like Alabama and LSU, hardly forward thinking institutions. This is the problem, people like you think that schools are run around athletic departments. It's the research wings that provide the bulk of funding for the institution. Tuition is a big part of the equation, but kids are going to go to Alabama regardless of whether there's a football program or not. It's the state flagship. Same with Ohio State. Same with Texas, same with dozens of other schools.
Can anyone translate this to English for me?

The workers shouldn't be glorified wage slaves either. It's amazing that people have no problem with these oligarchs ******** over the working class, failing to understand that ensuring that a working person has the means to survive and thrive is key to any system surviving. You can have a capitalist society, and not doom the typical working class person to a miserable, desperate existence. Then again, when you have people that think that they are part of "The Club", even though they aren't, they will bootlick for those that couldn't care less about any of us.

Remember, it's rugged individualism for us, but socialized capitalism for the wealthy. They stack the deck in their favor and then get mad when the rest of us point out that the game is utterly rigged.
It's worse everywhere else in the world.

Advertisement
Unless the athletic programs decide to shut everything but football/basketball down it’s not happening.(Plus reversal of Title IV)

This is the correct answer. People are complaining about WNBA salaries, and you don’t think they’ll complain about women’s soccer or water polo not getting checks?

This is the correct answer. People are complaining about WNBA salaries, and you don’t think they’ll complain about women’s soccer or water polo not getting checks?
Yup, that'll be the next arguement. Until there's not enough money to go around and the athletic programs start to dissolve, and then there won't even be any opportunities for smaller sports. The NCAA will cave in todays political climate.

Which is why I specifically referenced schools that are going online only for the fall, but asking football players to come back to campus. The schools aren't having students come back for the fall because (i) they think it is unsafe, combined with (ii) the liability concerns.

Am I missing something?
Yes apparently, those players at those online only schools could choose to stay home, take online classes and pay for books and tuition just like other students, then look for a 9-5er upon graduation. also, is it NOt easier to plan to keep 100 people isolated than the entire 30k student body? I’m NOt suggesting Money isnt the deciding factor, but a plan for 100 is a lot easier than making a plan for 30k

And? Why is it that capitalism is perfectly fine for Coaches, ADs, staff and everyone else associated with the athletic department, but the actual talent is supposed to be happy with a pre fixed arrangement? Amazing how many bootlickers we have on this board, and in society at large. I wouldn't expect an intern to work for an ancillary benefit, I sure as **** don't expect someone who is potentially risking long term physical damage to do either. Either you can pay these guys a market based wage, or colleges shouldn't be running semi pro sports entities. Frankly, the emphasis on collegiate athletics at the D1 level hurts the typical student, far more than helps. Schools would exist without sports, at least the well managed ones would.
I hate to break it to you, 99% of these kids would not be getting an education otherwise. They are getting paid, with 6 figure educations. How many of them actually take full advantage of their opportunity... not just on the field but in the classroom as well?

Advertisement
Back