Pac 12 Players Asking for 50% of revenue to play this year

Unless the athletic programs decide to shut everything but football/basketball down it’s not happening.(Plus reversal of Title IV)

Advertisement
Advertisement
So players get 50% and the school, coaches, team doctors, staff that feeds them, the staff that trains them, countless workers around the stadium and game all split the other 50%. Except all of those people still have to pay for their housing, meals, and education.
I say kick them all to the curb and put the student back in student athlete.

I have always said I was for players getting something, but they have lost their minds if they think this will end well. Guess they should have taken advantage of that free education so they could make logical decisions.

I say kick them all to the curb and put the student back in student athlete.

I have always said I was for players getting something, but they have lost their minds if they think this will end well. Guess they should have taken advantage of that free education so they could make logical decisions.

I think what needs to be done has been. Players can make money off their likeness starting next year. (Which May be why Miami’s recruiting is taking off) Schools pay for housing, meals, training, and education and players make money on their own name and skill. That’s a good amateur situation

I think what needs to be done has been. Players can make money off their likeness starting next year. (Which May be why Miami’s recruiting is taking off) Schools pay for housing, meals, training, and education and players make money on their own name and skill. That’s a good amateur situation
I agree. Much more than that just comes across as pure greed.

Advertisement
It will never work becasue most athetoc departments are in the red. The revenue they want, is used to subsidize the money losing sports. Only way for this to work is to cut the money losing sports. However if you do that you end up in violation of title 9. So this can’t ever work. Only way for players to get paid is off endorsement from outside companies. Getting paid by the school isn’t viable. And likely ends up illegal,

It will never work becasue most athetoc departments are in the red. The revenue they want, is used to subsidize the money losing sports. Only way for this to work is to cut the money losing sports. However if you do that you end up in violation of title 9. So this can’t ever work. Only way for players to get paid is off endorsement from outside companies. Getting paid by the school isn’t viable. And likely ends up illegal,
I am interested to see the Title IX implications (and motivations behind) schools eliminating certain programs.

Advertisement
Spell out your argument a little clearer. Don’t want to make presumptions on what you’re saying.
Simple supply and demand. I can replace even an excellent QB relatively easily. They're all short term rentals as you know the very most you'll have them is 4 years and it's not a big deal if they transfer to your rival school. That's not the same with coaches. Replacing a very good one is exceedingly difficult as we know better than most. If you have a very good one, you need to make sure they won't be tempted to go to your rival for more money.

That's why Saban deserves 8 million. That's why CEO's, doctors, and petrochemical engineers make more than fast food workers and custodial staff.

Advertisement
I understand the metaphor, but I have to imagine that at some point more schools say, “is this our mission?”, “it’s a net deficit …”
I've thought for some time that we were one economic downturn away from the political ramifications of college football's structure from being exposed. Such as luxurious, player only facilities while non-athletes can only look at the athletic centers with the waterslides and golf courses. Meanwhile these same non-athletes have to deal with tremendous tuition fees and activity costs, while public universities are spending hundreds of millions on facilities and coaching staff. At some point this situation was going to be politicized.

It’s greed from the players but Saban deserves to make 8 mill + per year?
Well, is Manny worth 4 mil? Winning comes at a cost. I agree, it's a bit much, but what the **** else is there to do in Alabama? Paying him 8 mil a year and winning lowers the depression rate in Alabama 50%. ;)

Simple supply and demand. I can replace even an excellent QB relatively easily. They're all short term rentals as you know the very most you'll have them is 4 years and it's not a big deal if they transfer to your rival school. That's not the same with coaches. Replacing a very good one is exceedingly difficult as we know better than most. If you have a very good one, you need to make sure they won't be tempted to go to your rival for more money.

That's why Saban deserves 8 million. That's why CEO's, doctors, and petrochemical engineers make more than fast food workers and custodial staff.
Eh, I'm not sure that I agree with that. The talent drives the success at these schools, moreso than anything else, which is why schools with massive amounts of talent are the schools who win national titles each year. You don't replace Trevor Lawrence, Justin Fields, Joe Burrow, etc., relatively easily either. No one who watches these games believe that.

The analogy really isn't a great one when the players make more money than the coaches by large in the NFL. We can look at Bellichick's salary versus Brady. The NCAA prevents players from assessing their value on an open market through the way it operates. The market isn't determining that these guys are worth what you're saying they're worth. It's the NCAA stopping them from either being able to hit the market.

People are asked to sign waivers for everything from youth sports to pro sports.

It's almost impossible to see any college playing sports without covid-language in a waiver, because you could be on the hook for billions in a future class action. Hopefully the new stimulus bill includes the liability shield like the Senate wants. Without it, not just college sports but much of our economy will never be able to re-open.

Also, 50% of the REVENUE is a joke. College athletes aren't the most intelligent people out there but not understanding the difference between profit and revenue is sad. Miami and almost every other school would be finished with athletics if they had to pay out 50% of the revenue
You don't see the hypocrisy of some schools going totally online in the fall, yet requiring football players to sign Covid waivers? And still not paying them? All while the coaches, administrators and universities make millions.

They treat them as employees, but don't want to pay them. That is BS.

Advertisement
Back