Owens Possibly Starting?

252cane

All-ACC
Diaz said owens has been a top 3 LB in the spring and has a chance to start at wlb. Wlb is the same spot as pickney. Its good owens is getting healthy and balling because it creates depth and comp.

Advertisement
That's not exactly what Diaz said... he said this: "We like the way he performed in our offseason program. We felt like he was sort of one of the top three linebackers in terms of effort and technique in our mat drill program."

Effort and technique in mat drills probably isn't the best predictor of in-game play.

That's a message to Pinckney. Owens can't carry Pinckney's jockstrap, but they're trying to keep the young bull motivated and focused.

That's not exactly what Diaz said... he said this: "We like the way he performed in our offseason program. We felt like he was sort of one of the top three linebackers in terms of effort and technique in our mat drill program."

Effort and technique in mat drills probably isn't the best predictor of in-game play.

Ok. Them **** reporters be quoting **** how they want too.

Advertisement

Ok. Them **** reporters be quoting **** how they want too.

Here's the full quote.

“We like the way he performed in our offseason program. We felt like he was sort of one of the top three linebackers in terms of effort and technique in our mat drill program. I think with him it’s his confidence. He’s moving around better and he’s a big, strong, physical guy. Now he’s got to trust himself to go and play like that. We’re trying to teach him to be a bully and to be a big, strong guy – I’ll be curious to see how he plays on Saturday,” Diaz said.

Spencer Whipple won the offseason drills a couple years ago and was number one on the depth chart for 2 snaps in fall practice.

You can tell Diaz loves Pinkney and stays on him to make him great. I've mentioned I saw Pinkney do things I hadn't seen around UM since Nate Webster and Mike Barrow. He is a f'in natural.

Advertisement
Trying to keep him motivated and avoid that sophomore slump...

Don't get me wrong, Pinckney was outstanding as a true freshmen. I would like to see him improve his conditioning and pass coverage.

Remember before Owens blew out his knee he was one of our best LB as a SO. He was gimpy at first but his burst started coming back late last year even in the bowl game. I'm interested to see how he plays and can only be good for depth as well.

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

It also needs to mentioned that Pinckney will miss the 1st half vs Bethune, so Owens will most likely be starting in his place for the beginning of that game...

It's a 100% guarantee that Pinckney will be starter for the rest of the season after that 1st half.

Besides, what does being a starter mean when there is no game about to be played? I only care about starters during game week.

Diaz comments were Spring motivation. Nothing wrong with that.

Advertisement
Diaz said owens has been a top 3 LB in the spring and has a chance to start at wlb. Wlb is the same spot as pickney. Its good owens is getting healthy and balling because it creates depth and comp.

Pinckney plays SLB with Owens as his primary backup. WLB is McCloud (and according to Diaz, Wilder and Gordinier both getting looks there). MLB is Shaq, Mike Smith, and Jennings with Gordinier also getting looks there.

Pinckney plays SLB with Owens as his primary backup. WLB is McCloud (and according to Diaz, Wilder and Gordinier both getting looks there). MLB is Shaq, Mike Smith, and Jennings with Gordinier also getting looks there.

No mccloud is the sam linebacker with Pinckney at Wlb

Trying to keep him motivated and avoid that sophomore slump...

Don't get me wrong, Pinckney was outstanding as a true freshmen. I would like to see him improve his conditioning and pass coverage.

In the manny diaz mic'd up video they had to up downs because Pinckney tried to short a drill.. It's like what Kul said habit

Advertisement

Bruh you never now what the **** you are talking about.

Owens will look more like himself this year , being almost two years since tearing acl. That being said, pink is starting. End of story.

He's just suspended for a half ,so I wouldn't imagine he'd get the normal amount of starter reps until after the first game.

depth chart prediction:

SLB McCloud -- Owings -- McCray -- Wilder

MLB Shaq -- Smith -- Jennings

WLB Pinckney -- Perry -- Gordinier -- Steed

Wilder and Steed RS

Advertisement
Back