Out of the box candidates

GeminiCane

Recruit
We know the usual suspects the Herald will mention, Cristobal, Schiano, Chud, Mark Stoops etc but how about out of the box names that could be home runs. Rex Ryan? We'd have a great D, don't know about recruiting or offense but he would be the type of coach that Lu talked about, one with a chip on his shoulder who'd look to go back to the NFL after winning big in college.

Advertisement
I think he's a pro coach. Meaning, he has no time for feelings, growth and development in the context of young kids who aren't getting paid to do a job.

I fear we're going to hire one of the more expected names.

If he wanted to Ryan would be a **** of a college coach. People like him and his personality is infectious...he'd kill it in recruiting if his heart was in it.

But as Lu mentioned...that guy is a pro coach. I doubt he'd ever make that move.

He's a coordinator at heart. I think the reason he wanted to be HC is so he could completely decide every element of his defense and every call. He also is a TERRIBLE talent evaluator. Like truly terrible.

Can we for the sake of god please stop with candidates for a job that we all know won't be open less than a week from now? Please and thanks

Advertisement
Here's a name/thought.

Marc Trestman. He was rumored as a candidate years ago while he was still in Canada and if the Bears end up finishing the year on a down note he could get canned.

Before the smart asses chime in and rip it...success or lackthereof at the pro level is in no way indicative of the type of COLLEGE coach a guy would be cause last time I checked guys like Petrino and the almighty Nick Saban struggled in the league. He's a guy I'd have zero issue taking a chance on.

I don't understand the absolute "reaches" that some postulate.

Many are either unproven, unavailable, beyond our finances, or truthfully, untested in the 305 type environment.

Not any coach can come to the 305 and fit in. Not every good coordinator makes a good Head Coach.

We've had three turds in a row, and some here want to roll the dice on other unknowns. Why? Why such a big gamble?

Here's a name/thought.

Marc Trestman. He was rumored as a candidate years ago while he was still in Canada and if the Bears end up finishing the year on a down note he could get canned.

Before the smart asses chime in and rip it...success or lackthereof at the pro level is in no way indicative of the type of COLLEGE coach a guy would be cause last time I checked guys like Petrino and the almighty Nick Saban struggled in the league. He's a guy I'd have zero issue taking a chance on.

He was a multiple champion HC in Canada. He was a champion assistant with us in '83. He was an elite OC with the Niners (while Pete Carroll served as DC). Bernie wanted him. I don't know that he'd be the best choice, but he'd be a solid one for sure.

Advertisement
If he wanted to Ryan would be a **** of a college coach. People like him and his personality is infectious...he'd kill it in recruiting if his heart was in it.

But as Lu mentioned...that guy is a pro coach. I doubt he'd ever make that move.

Jim Mora has been able to make the transition and his UCLA team is playing really good football.

Mike Shula -

His performance at Bama wasn't as bad as some might think, especially considering the mess he inherited, and how young he was at the time. Has the rare combination of being a proven recruiter and having X's & O's expertise from all of his time in the League. Plus the added benefit of being one of the few coaches out there who would actually like living in Miami the rest of his life.

Here's a name/thought.

I'm also a Chicago Bears fan and you just bring up his name makes me wanna punch U....nothing personal, you probably are a swell guy, but this is business. Have you seen the Bears defense before and after he got there? They hemorrhage points away. First team since 1923 to give up 50 points in back to back games. No thank you.

Advertisement
Trestman would just laugh at the defensive schemes he would see in the ACC.

We'd probably suck on defense, but he is also probably smart enough to hire someone to run that side of it for him.

Phillip Montgomery, Baylor's OC.

I honestly feel that we have to give a coordinator a chance unless we want a retread of someone who's been at Miami before (which I simply don't). I also feel like this guy is ready to take the next step and be a HC.

I think if you get Montgomery, let him fill in the offensive staff the way he wants, and go out and spend some money on a high quality DC for him...it would be nice.

Now my ideal/unrealistic pick is Mike Leach w/Orgeron as DC...at least we'd have some balls on both sides of the football.

Ice Harris hc coley oc and defense whoever ice chooses... I truly believe he'll be a great head coach he knows how to motivate his players don't know much about his playcalling but he would leave it to his coordinators I suppose but he's a true head coach who sets the bar high for all his players

Advertisement
I read that article about the Coastal Carolina coach that Lu posted. I can appreciate what he's doing but I'm not sure if I'm comfortable with a guy that radical.

Advertisement
Back