Our Best OL since..?

407cane

All-ACC
Honest question, since I firmly believe this game comes down to our OL.

When's the last time we've had a line this good? 2014? Not even just the experience but talent wise and size. Zion, Jalen Rivers, Gaynor, Donaldson, and Scaife

Finally size at the guard spot, legitimate tackle spots, and of course the previously mentioned experience.

I have never been one to harp on OL play but we stand zero chance unless those 5 gentlemen have one **** of a game on Saturday

that 2014 had a lot of NFL talent on it. Darling, Flowers, Isidora, shane and kc mcdermott, felciano, etc.

I'm really excited to see them this year and to see if we can finally hold our own against physical teams. Our offense and king is too good to waste on a shi**y OL

Advertisement
Going against one of the reported best d's in college football in the first game of the season will be a real test.

Don't expect 3 yards and a cloud of dust or running on 4th and one, but if they can give King enough time to throw or a lane to scramble through that will be a win and provide a real boost of confidence to the whole team.

Advertisement
RE: Best OL

Nope, nope, nope. But as the season progresses they will IMPROVE. FWIW... Mr. Mel says Miami has NO current opening round draft choices in the starting lineup ( 1st-4th rounds. ). According to Mr. Mel, only Zion has the potential to be an " early " round NFL pick. Yikes. Just take it for what it is, because Mr. Mel doesn't always hit the proverbial bullseye with his touts.
Nonetheless, at least Bama's will give the OL an excellent test, and will provide a measurement of how good they are, and how good they can become as a cohesive unit. But, stay tuned. The OL just may SHOCK me, and the few Cane doubters regarding the OL. Peace.

On paper this line should be one of our better ones in recent history. Still got to play the games though. It's by no means the type of line that's just going to maul teams but they should be able to hold their own against most opponents. I just want a little more consistency in the run game. Too many tackles for loss against us last year.

Advertisement
We say it every year but our OL battles with a pretty good group of DL at practice. More concerned about slowing their LBs. This might be their best LB corps in a while if To'o To'o is up to snuff. Not to say Bama's DL don't pose a threat but they exist to occupy blockers, and that won't be an issue for them imo. If our OL can't block LBs on the second level then we'll become one-dimensional and that's when Bama gets to pin their ears back.

Advertisement
Can we pause on this until we see them actually play?

Let’s not forget we were:
67th in rushing
98th in sacks allowed
117th in TFLs allowed

So I get there’s this optimism, but this OL we’re returning allowed this. Let’s see how much improved they r by week 5.

RE: Best OL

Nope, nope, nope. But as the season progresses they will IMPROVE. FWIW... Mr. Mel says Miami has NO current opening round draft choices in the starting lineup ( 1st-4th rounds. ). According to Mr. Mel, only Zion has the potential to be an " early " round NFL pick. Yikes. Just take it for what it is, because Mr. Mel doesn't always hit the proverbial bullseye with his touts.
Nonetheless, at least Bama's will give the OL an excellent test, and will provide a measurement of how good they are, and how good they can become as a cohesive unit. But, stay tuned. The OL just may SHOCK me, and the few Cane doubters regarding the OL. Peace.
Mel Kiper is a muppet and shouldnt be taken seriously in any conversation regarding football. His track record ***** the bed x10.

Advertisement

67th in rushing
98th in sacks allowed
117th in TFLs allowed

So I get there’s this optimism, but this OL we’re returning allowed this. Let’s see how much improved they r by week 5.
I must say, that was without Vaughn and Rivers. Hopefully, those 2 big fellas can make a difference.

67th in rushing
98th in sacks allowed
117th in TFLs allowed

Sacks are a QB stat.

I must say, that was without Vaughn and Rivers. Hopefully, those 2 big fellas can make a difference.

Let’s not forget, Vaughn was much maligned by this fan base & considered a low key bust after his severe regression his Sophomore yr. Rivers hasn’t played a single down. Hence, y I said let’s temper the talk of “best OL since….” That’s a presumptuous statement w/ no data to support.

Sacks are a QB stat.

No sir; that would be incorrect my brother. Sacks r definitely not a QB stat. Can a QB contribute to that stat by holding on the ball too long? Absolutely, but sacks are generally on the OL. Hence, why NFL GMs are much criticized if their QBs constantly get hit by not providing him the proper protection up front.

Advertisement
Back