Our Best OL since..?

So U’re relying upon an unknown & a maligned Sr?

Again, let them play before we claim “best since…” there is literally not one iota of data to support this presumption. It’s based upon potential, but if we’re basing everything on “potential”, then potentially we should have 13 Coastal titles since 2004. Just let the guys prove & then we can can come back in the middle of season to speak on their greatness.
Well let me ask you something. What are other teams relying on? These are two massive highly rated guys. Sure I’m relying on them.

Advertisement
Well let me ask you something. What are other teams relying on? These are two massive highly rated guys. Sure I’m relying on them.

Production. I’ve seen Donaldson play, and some of ya’ll was trying to have him benched. Now he’s the savior. Smh.

Not sure why it’s so wrong to say “let’s let them play, 1st, vs presuming w/o data saying otherwise.

"Good," based on what OP? A month or so ago I posted OL stats used by NFL in evaluations and last year's OL was in the lower 20-25% in sacks and rushing yardage. In sacks, they were only 7 places above FSU's OL (who didn't have Houdini as a QB).

An individual or two returning doesn't make an OL, its how they play as a group. The Canes have never settled on the best position for a couple of these guys and if they were going to gel as a group, to me that should have happened last year - we're suspect until they prove we're not. But experience with this group means they're experienced at being a sub-average OL. Nothing suggests their level of play has elevated to win the Coastal, let alone the ACC or beating a defensive oriented SEC team who's saying this is one of their best.

Again, I hope I'm dead wrong, but we will see in two days. Let's see if that elusive running game ever returns to The U. Bama is a very tough defense to get that started and to gain confidence.

By the way, most every game comes down to the OL, if you noticed or not.

Last edited:
Production. I’ve seen Donaldson play, and some of ya’ll was trying to have him benched. Now he’s the savior. Smh.

Not sure why it’s so wrong to say “let’s let them play, 1st, vs presuming w/o data saying otherwise.
I agree with let them play & will see. I also think theres far less talented o-lines in this country that will be just fine. So I’m hopeful.

Again, “potential.” We’ve had plenty of blue chips that have been potato chips, so that argument is moot to me. We have potential, but until a snap has been played, it’s literally speculation. The last thing I want is for the hype not come to fruition & then it becomes a bash fest. So let’s allow the boys to prove it.
I agree the best since is silly, but it is a reasonable expectation that OL will be much improved. It's a new line.

Advertisement
Can we pause on this until we see them actually play?

Let’s not forget we were:
67th in rushing
98th in sacks allowed
117th in TFLs allowed

So I get there’s this optimism, but this OL we’re returning allowed this. Let’s see how much improved they r by week 5.

It did but it didn't.

The OL that put up those numbers didn't have Rivers or Donaldson playing on it.

I'm not saying those kids are high NFL picks, but they should be much better than the 2 kids we had at those spots last year. And that should directly correlate to being stronger in the run game. I think the line should, can, and will be much better.

I would see ur point, IF this OL wasn’t even worst in TFLs allowed. Lol. I would also see ur point, IF this OL was great at creating running lanes. So u can try to isolate & explain how sacks are on QBs, but the fact is, yes, King took too long to throw the ball at times, but what I saw, often, was King running for his life. As I mentioned in several threads, Lashlee can try to be a hard *** & call out King, but King made the OL look even better than they performed due to his legs.

Which is y I’m pausing on the hype. Show me, b/c for 3 seasons, this line has been less than stellar & not even on par at being avg.
Well, the team also ran the ball in situations where you 100% shouldnt run the ball. You dont make the O-Lines life easier if you keep running the ball into loaded boxes whilst running the same play all over again. Thats also why the team struggled in the run game - facing Tite with no proper counter (pun not intended). We had five or six guys trying to block seven box defenders at times. Teams got bombed with the fake QB Draw pass a lot against us.

Again, mobile QBs might seem to run for their lifes, but at times, they take off for no reason or start to get happy feet. Like, there is a reason DeShaun Watson and Russell Wilson are the most sacked QBs. And its not because of how much time they have, we've been over that.

This O-Line should be better, I think theres no argument against that. How much better they will be is yet to be seen. I think their flaws can be at least reduced with better playcalling.

everyone seems to be mistaken or just incompetent/negative

I'm not implying that we have an elite OL or even a great OL

I asked is this OUR best OL since 2014, as in the University of Miami's best OL since 2014. We've had shi**y offensive lines for years, this is our best shot (in my opinion) at a serviceable to good unit.

Advertisement
everyone seems to be mistaken or just incompetent/negative

I'm not implying that we have an elite OL or even a great OL

I asked is this OUR best OL since 2014, as in the University of Miami's best OL since 2014. We've had shi**y offensive lines for years, this is our best shot (in my opinion) at a serviceable to good unit.
My sincere apologies from the past to this guy
1632091549531.png

How I wish, how I wish you were here
We're just two lost souls
Swimming in a fish bowl
Year after year
Running over the same old ground
What have we found?
The same old fears
Wish you were here

Pressures are on the OL. They are way more consistent in evaluating offensive lines and pass rushers, but not every pressure results in a sack. NFL GMs actually pay more and more attention into pressures rather than sacks. That trend has started to change.

Sack numbers are most influenced by a QB. Brady had 21 less sacks compared to Russell Wilson whilst having 1. worse weapons 2. being a 5.2 speed QB and 3. playing behind a second string G, a LT coming off an Achilles injury the previous season and a trip to IR and a third string RT. Wilsons and Bradys PocketTime were identical:

The major difference was that Brady had 20 more passes thrown away. Mobile QBs tend to rely too much on their athleticism rather than just keeping play discipline. Mahomes had 22 sacks in the regular season and we all saw what happened in the Super Bowl. Dude has a tendency to drop back too far and if your O-Line is already made out of turnstiles, a beating is due.

The O-Line will be fine. If we are stuck in less obvious passing downs, increase the gained yardage on first down and reduce penalties, that sack number should regress automatically.

Hurries? Let's just bypass the fact that we arent talking about NFL Q's here in Miami's version of a CFB team: Against Bama Miami's D was rated 3rd in the nation that 1st week on hurries; Bama didn't have anywhere near the hurries, but did have four sacks against the Canes. The score of the game speaks for itself. You think our OL is better than Bama's?

"If we are stuck in less obvious passing downs, increase the gained yardage on first down and reduce penalties, that sack number should regress automatically." You realize you need to have a running game to have "less obvious passing downs." Look at it conversely: without a running game you're in more obvious passing downs and sacks go up. And that has been going on for years.

"The O-Line will be fine" You believe that given what you've watched the last few years? Where's the run game? The 2020 Canes O-Line was rated in the bottom 20% of sacks and bottom 25% in rushing, only 7 spots off of FSU's horrendous OL.

This past week Canes O-Line was rated 107 out of 130 in CFB (before MSU game). That is right about where they finished last year and, after this week (1/4 of the season) their 44 yards rushing and 3 sack effort, will drop that rank like an elevator. Let's revisit your prediction at the end of this Ground Hog Day season.

".

Advertisement
Hurries? Let's just bypass the fact that we arent talking about NFL Q's here in Miami's version of a CFB team: Against Bama Miami's D was rated 3rd in the nation that 1st week on hurries; Bama didn't have anywhere near the hurries, but did have four sacks against the Canes. The score of the game speaks for itself. You think our OL is better than Bama's?
Well, you quite clearly forgot about the fact that one team played with a QB who is likely going to be in the NFL and the other wont, simply based on pocket movement and ability to look downfield, even though the play breaks down. I also dont get why you mention hurries specifically, the post you reply to doesnt even include the word "hurries" once. It clearly says "pressures" and theres a difference between the two. And yes, a pressure influences a QB more vs a sack. A sack happens three or four times a game, a pressure happens like 2x or even 3x per game more.

"If we are stuck in less obvious passing downs, increase the gained yardage on first down and reduce penalties, that sack number should regress automatically." You realize you need to have a running game to have "less obvious passing downs." Look at it conversely: without a running game you're in more obvious passing downs and sacks go up. And that has been going on for years
No, this is wrong. Less obvious passing downs are not decided by how much you ran the ball beforehand. A 3rd and 8 will always remain an obvious passing down in a 0-0 game, regardless of how often you ran the ball beforehand and how well you ran the ball beforehand. We ran the ball on 3rd and 7 and people went nuts. The main problem this team has is gaining yardage on early downs, because they have dumb playcalls, execute horribly or back themselves up with penalties. Run Game doesnt matter here and it certainly didnt for Bama, who threw the ball far better compared to running it.

Running the ball influences more in the College Game vs the NFL, however, a 3rd and 6+ is an obvious passing down and will always be one, unless you run out the clock. Bama ran the ball for one yard more on average compared to us although this board expected them to pound us into a submission.

This past week Canes O-Line was rated 107 out of 130 in CFB (before MSU game). That is right about where they finished last year and, after this week (1/4 of the season) their 44 yards rushing and 3 sack effort, will drop that rank like an elevator. Let's revisit your prediction at the end of this Ground Hog Day season.
Theres nothing to revisit, this O-Line continues to make the same mistakes they have done last season, plus one thing outside of their control, which is playcalling. Outside of that, everything about the O-Line play has been horrid, which I didnt expect and neither did Cribby, who has direct ties to practice. However, when you dont really practice live action and go at it in shells all day, thats what happens.

Oh boy, I had an expectation and this team failed me, please dont sue my *** and deport me. I better just bow down to your knowledge about the team with a golf clap, because I wasnt a miserable **** to start off the season:

charlie sheen applause GIF

Well, you quite clearly forgot about the fact that one team played with a QB who is likely going to be in the NFL and the other wont, simply based on pocket movement and ability to look downfield, even though the play breaks down. I also dont get why you mention hurries specifically, the post you reply to doesnt even include the word "hurries" once. It clearly says "pressures" and theres a difference between the two. And yes, a pressure influences a QB more vs a sack. A sack happens three or four times a game, a pressure happens like 2x or even 3x per game more.

No, this is wrong. Less obvious passing downs are not decided by how much you ran the ball beforehand. A 3rd and 8 will always remain an obvious passing down in a 0-0 game, regardless of how often you ran the ball beforehand and how well you ran the ball beforehand. We ran the ball on 3rd and 7 and people went nuts. The main problem this team has is gaining yardage on early downs, because they have dumb playcalls, execute horribly or back themselves up with penalties. Run Game doesnt matter here and it certainly didnt for Bama, who threw the ball far better compared to running it.

Running the ball influences more in the College Game vs the NFL, however, a 3rd and 6+ is an obvious passing down and will always be one, unless you run out the clock. Bama ran the ball for one yard more on average compared to us although this board expected them to pound us into a submission.

Theres nothing to revisit, this O-Line continues to make the same mistakes they have done last season, plus one thing outside of their control, which is playcalling. Outside of that, everything about the O-Line play has been horrid, which I didnt expect and neither did Cribby, who has direct ties to practice. However, when you dont really practice live action and go at it in shells all day, thats what happens.

Oh boy, I had an expectation and this team failed me, please dont sue my *** and deport me. I better just bow down to your knowledge about the team with a golf clap, because I wasnt a miserable **** to start off the season:

Spin it however you want, use semantics and compare it to the NFL, but if you thought this O-line was going to be different before the season its not because you weren't "a miserable ****", but rather you don't know O-Line play (but you've proved that to me before). Again, U I didn't play tennis or baseball or whatever you played in college - I was an Offensive linemen who started for four years and blocked for four different 1,000 yard backs (Go ahead now you can clap, hoss).

Spin it however you want, use semantics, but if you thought this O-line was going to be different before the season, its not because you weren't "a miserable ****", but rather its because you don't know O-Line play (but you've proved that to me before). On the other hand, my post that same day was right on the mark - I was being realistic, not being miserable; I even said I hoped I was wrong. Look, its OK to admit your NFL analogy didn't translate well. Again, I appreciate your attempt to justify your case, but I didn't play baseball or whatever you said you played in college - I was a four year starter (3 at OT, 1 at OG) that blocked for four different 1,000 yard backs on teams that won two Conference Championships and went to two bowl games (now you can clap, hoss). I played OL for ten years from junior high through college, was on great ones all the way that produced the best-ever teams at every level I played, 2 other 1,000 yard backs in high school, one whose career rushing record held for 37 years until the Sporting News POY, Mike Bellamy (Clemson) finally broke it . You stay in your lane, and I'll stay in mine. Promise I won't make any analogies on how MLB differs from College when a baserunner makes contact with the catcher.

Spin it however you want, use semantics and compare it to the NFL, but if you thought this O-line was going to be different before the season its not because you weren't "a miserable ****", but rather you don't know O-Line play (but you've proved that to me before). Again, U I didn't play tennis or baseball or whatever you played in college - I was an Offensive linemen who started for four years and blocked for four different 1,000 yard backs (Go ahead now you can clap, hoss).

Spin it however you want, use semantics, but if you thought this O-line was going to be different before the season, its not because you weren't "a miserable ****", but rather its because you don't know O-Line play (but you've proved that to me before). On the other hand, my post that same day was right on the mark - I was being realistic, not being miserable; I even said I hoped I was wrong. Look, its OK to admit your NFL analogy didn't translate well. Again, I appreciate your attempt to justify your case, but I didn't play baseball or whatever you said you played in college - I was a four year starter (3 at OT, 1 at OG) that blocked for four different 1,000 yard backs on teams that won two Conference Championships and went to two bowl games (now you can clap, hoss). I played OL for ten years from junior high through college, was on great ones all the way that produced the best-ever teams at every level I played, 2 other 1,000 yard backs in high school, one whose career rushing record held for 37 years until the Sporting News POY, Mike Bellamy (Clemson) finally broke it . You stay in your lane, and I'll stay in mine. Promise I won't make any analogies on how MLB differs from College when a baserunner makes contact with the catcher.
You posted a whole lot of nothing outside of "Oh, look at me, I played in college", you never tried to make a convincing argument, nor did you try to say whats exactly wrong. You borderline just went "You justified your case but I played at a college, therefore I am right".

Me pointing out how pressure affects QBs is not plausible because its NFL vs College? Thats the biggest load of bullcrap I have ever read in my life. You didnt even know the difference between hurries and pressures 😂
You had a hard enough time responding to me in a readable format.

Dan Sileo played D-Line at Miami and the dude is the biggest clown show that I have ever read in my whole life. But yeah, we all should listen to you, because of how much football you played.

Dont bother responding, I'll put you on ignore, Al Bundy.

Last edited:
Advertisement
You posted a whole lot of nothing outside of "Oh, look at me, I played in college", you never tried to make a convincing argument, nor did you try to say whats exactly wrong. You borderline just went "You justified your case but I played at a college, therefore I am right".

Me pointing out how pressure affects QBs is not plausible because its NFL vs College? Thats the biggest load of bullcrap I have ever read in my life. You didnt even know the difference between hurries and pressures 😂
You had a hard enough time responding to me in a readable format.

Dan Sileo played D-Line at Miami and the dude is the biggest clown show that I have ever read in my whole life. But yeah, we all should listen to you, because of how much football you played.

Dont bother responding, I'll put you on ignore, Al Bundy.

unnamed.jpg

Advertisement
Back