Our 2020-21 Assistant Coaching Staff

It was obvious when Manny became more involved in the defensive play calling. Manny calls more zone coverages while Baker seems to prefer man coverage. The problem is our corners are not cut out for man coverage.

Advertisement
It was obvious when Manny became more involved in the defensive play calling. Manny calls more zone coverages while Baker seems to prefer man coverage. The problem is our corners are not cut out for man coverage.
Manny did not call the Defense at all..presence and involvement are two different things

Get rid of baker and patke. Hire 2 more elite recruiters on that side of the ball and let diaz call the plays and I’ll be excited. I know That is not going to happen but since this is a critical year for Diaz I’m sure he knows he cant put faith in baker calling the defense because let’s face it, even with Diaz’s faults in his defense what we saw this past year was far different than what we did from 2016-2018 when Diaz called plays. Style wise those years we were aggressive AND limited the big plays. In 2019 we gave up far too many big plays which was uncharacteristic for a diaz Miami coached defense. So realistically I’m hoping diaz knows he needs to call the plays with his job on the line

Last edited:
Advertisement
Advertisement
Now that things are mostly settled and the pieces are in place, what does the board think of this iteration of Manny's UM Staff? Personally I think we upgraded significantly on the offensive side, and I think getting those "same page" coaches in Lashlee, Likens, and Justice was a very smart move. I'm still not sold on the Banda/Rumph DB connection. I actually liked what I saw from Patke at ST this year. I like the mix of coaching experiences we have on staff, and it remains to be seen exactly how Ed Reed fits into this dynamic. Thoughts?

Offensive Coordinator/Quarterbacks - Rhett Lashlee

Wide Receivers - Rob Likens

Running Backs - Eric Hickson

Tight Ends - Stephen Field

Offensive Line - Garin Justice

Defensive Coordinator/Inside Linebackers - Blake Baker

Assistant Head Coach/Defensive Line - Todd Stroud

Strikers/Special Teams - Jonathan Patke

Co-Defensive Coordinator/Safeties - Ephraim Banda

Cornerbacks - Mike Rumph

If banda and rumph presided over the #1 pass defense in the nation, and wasnt shabby last year either, just had a scared d-co, as well as our pass defenses since tbey've been here, but you like patke, its just starting to sound and look personal!

Now that things are mostly settled and the pieces are in place, what does the board think of this iteration of Manny's UM Staff? Personally I think we upgraded significantly on the offensive side, and I think getting those "same page" coaches in Lashlee, Likens, and Justice was a very smart move. I'm still not sold on the Banda/Rumph DB connection. I actually liked what I saw from Patke at ST this year. I like the mix of coaching experiences we have on staff, and it remains to be seen exactly how Ed Reed fits into this dynamic. Thoughts?

Offensive Coordinator/Quarterbacks - Rhett Lashlee

Wide Receivers - Rob Likens

Running Backs - Eric Hickson

Tight Ends - Stephen Field

Offensive Line - Garin Justice

Defensive Coordinator/Inside Linebackers - Blake Baker

Assistant Head Coach/Defensive Line - Todd Stroud

Strikers/Special Teams - Jonathan Patke

Co-Defensive Coordinator/Safeties - Ephraim Banda

Cornerbacks - Mike Rumph
O definitely looks like an off-season upgrade. Hopefully it all works out. Hopefully our D doesn't become what our O did last season. I'm cautiously optimistic. Very cautiously at this point.

I remember what Miami special teams is supposed to look like.

You could tell Miami was the best team in the world just on kickoffs. Todd Sievers putting every kickoff through the uprights and Jon Vilma murdering dudes.

And when is the last time we ran back a punt or kick? We used to be good for a few every season

Special teams, in my opinion, is the biggest indicator of team-wide athleticism and talent and heart. It's also the mark of a well coached team. Miami popped off the screen in the early 2000's on kickoffs. Today, we're average to below average.

It's something, if I were Manny, I would work hard to get fixed.

Advertisement
I remember what Miami special teams is supposed to look like.

You could tell Miami was the best team in the world just on kickoffs. Todd Sievers putting every kickoff through the uprights and Jon Vilma murdering dudes.

And when is the last time we ran back a punt or kick? We used to be good for a few every season

Special teams, in my opinion, is the biggest indicator of team-wide athleticism and talent and heart. It's also the mark of a well coached team. Miami popped off the screen in the early 2000's on kickoffs. Today, we're average to below average.

It's something, if I were Manny, I would work hard to get fixed.
Blocked punts were the norm then too.

Advertisement
Strikers need to coached by someone else. 3 DB coaches is too many. Completely fine with have a solo ST Coach but needs to be a monster on the trail.

Advertisement
Back