Our 2020-21 Assistant Coaching Staff

ghost2

Retired staff
Premium
Now that things are mostly settled and the pieces are in place, what does the board think of this iteration of Manny's UM Staff? Personally I think we upgraded significantly on the offensive side, and I think getting those "same page" coaches in Lashlee, Likens, and Justice was a very smart move. I'm still not sold on the Banda/Rumph DB connection. I actually liked what I saw from Patke at ST this year. I like the mix of coaching experiences we have on staff, and it remains to be seen exactly how Ed Reed fits into this dynamic. Thoughts?

Offensive Coordinator/Quarterbacks - Rhett Lashlee

Wide Receivers - Rob Likens

Running Backs - Eric Hickson

Tight Ends - Stephen Field

Offensive Line - Garin Justice

Defensive Coordinator/Inside Linebackers - Blake Baker

Assistant Head Coach/Defensive Line - Todd Stroud

Strikers/Special Teams - Jonathan Patke

Co-Defensive Coordinator/Safeties - Ephraim Banda

Cornerbacks - Mike Rumph

Advertisement
Advertisement
Our special teams were better under Patke.

I don't lay blame for Baxa. That was a recruiting mistake by Todd Hartley. Kid never should have been recruited. ***** missed half his field goal attempts his senior season

Advertisement
I agree with you on patke imo. I think putting kJ for punt return and the put coverage was good. You can’t do anything about a kicker who is in his own head, but replacing him with a walk on that did significantly better was at least a good move.

Advertisement
I'm mainly talking about coverage and return units. Kicking and punting are more recruiting issues I think, so our kicking disaster and Hedley's success is kind of a wash, IMO.
I agree with the Patke assessment.

For Baker, I gave him **** last year at times but numbers also don't lie. He still had a top defense in the country. We should have not expected for him to be as good as a DC as Manny. That's unfair. But I do want to see how much he improves from year one to year two. I'm sure Manny will make those changes with him

Advertisement
I think we have a very weak defensive staff, especially on the recruiting front. Would definitely like to see an upgrade to at least two of the five, if not more.

Very happy with the direction the offense went.

Sigh next time can you lead with "I actually liked what I saw from Patke at ST this year" so I can stop at the reading up to that point, thanks

Baxa being terrible is not on patke. I thought special teams was improved from last year. However, the question still remains about patke the “striker” coach and recruiter. Finley actually took a step back this year. And he hasn’t been able to recruit. If i was allowed to only replace one coach on the staff it would be patke.

Advertisement
Back