Our 2020-21 Assistant Coaching Staff

I agree with the Patke assessment.

For Baker, I gave him **** last year at times but numbers also don't lie. He still had a top defense in the country. We should have not expected for him to be as good as a DC as Manny. That's unfair. But I do want to see how much he improves from year one to year two. I'm sure Manny will make those changes with him

We were not a top defense last year, and why do people act like Manny is some kind of top flight DC? I honestly think he'll end up like Randy Shannon after he gets fired here, bouncing around various places as a position coach for years before maybe getting a Group of 5 DC job something like 8 years after getting fired.

Advertisement
We were not a top defense last year, and why do people act like Manny is some kind of top flight DC? I honestly think he'll end up like Randy Shannon after he gets fired here, bouncing around various places as a position coach for years before maybe getting a Group of 5 DC job something like 8 years after getting fired.
Thanks for your opinion!

As long as Diaz is a fixture in the defensive meeting room then I'm okay with his former slapdick GAs masquerading as college football assistant coaches.

Baxa being terrible is not on patke. I thought special teams was improved from last year. However, the question still remains about patke the “striker” coach and recruiter. Finley actually took a step back this year. And he hasn’t been able to recruit. If i was allowed to only replace one coach on the staff it would be patke.

ST were horrible last year. Patke is a garbage defensive coach, and an even worse ST coach.

Advertisement
Baker's the weakest link imo.

I hope Manny is even more involved with the D this season.
But defense wasn’t our problem
Last year, we had another year with terrible QB and Oline play with the defense on the field forever I wish they had more turnovers but defense was a all around good unit

Advertisement
E78C756A-82BB-4311-8299-43715A5B93CC.jpeg

Attachments

• FB7DB75F-19C7-4049-B14D-A7A630973D78.jpeg
    FB7DB75F-19C7-4049-B14D-A7A630973D78.jpeg
    227.5 KB · Views: 3
Now that things are mostly settled and the pieces are in place, what does the board think of this iteration of Manny's UM Staff? Personally I think we upgraded significantly on the offensive side, and I think getting those "same page" coaches in Lashlee, Likens, and Justice was a very smart move. I'm still not sold on the Banda/Rumph DB connection. I actually liked what I saw from Patke at ST this year. I like the mix of coaching experiences we have on staff, and it remains to be seen exactly how Ed Reed fits into this dynamic. Thoughts?

Offensive Coordinator/Quarterbacks - Rhett Lashlee

Wide Receivers - Rob Likens

Running Backs - Eric Hickson

Tight Ends - Stephen Field

Offensive Line - Garin Justice

Defensive Coordinator/Inside Linebackers - Blake Baker

Assistant Head Coach/Defensive Line - Todd Stroud

Strikers/Special Teams - Jonathan Patke

Co-Defensive Coordinator/Safeties - Ephraim Banda

Cornerbacks - Mike Rumph

i think Manny took the approach of fixing the obvious, which was the offense. I think next year (yes, he'll be around if he wins 8 games) he'll focus on the D and ST. I would replace everyone on the D except Rumph.

I agree with the Patke assessment.

For Baker, I gave him **** last year at times but numbers also don't lie. He still had a top defense in the country. We should have not expected for him to be as good as a DC as Manny. That's unfair. But I do want to see how much he improves from year one to year two. I'm sure Manny will make those changes with him
We also don’t know how they’d perform wifh decent field position and time to rest

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back