Our 1973 schedule looked like fun

Advertisement
Like I said things in campus in the early seventies got pretty hazy.😹
Here's Foreman...Cristiani (passed away last week) and Owens in 1971....and just a reminder...Cristiani was a 1st Team All American in 73...and had 15 Sacks in 72...

Attachments

• img_2_1647904779722.png
    img_2_1647904779722.png
    1,017.1 KB · Views: 30
Last edited:
The late 60s and early 70s was a great time to see the Canes at home. Life was simpler and going to a game, win or lose, was much more enjoyable than it has become now. There were no high tech video screens to look at. There was a scoreboard with a clock and another that displayed scores from other games. There was no, ultra loud, annoying music. Essentially it was just football with a play by play announcer. You actually paid attention to the game and concentrated on the players and the plays.

It was also a very genteel time to watch games. Fans from other teams would sit next to you and would actually talk about players and the game without being nasty. I can remember conversations with fans of the opposing teams and it was congenial. It was respectful and it was fun.

I understand that now fans want all the excitement. I just fell bad that they lose so much in the process,

Advertisement
The late 60s and early 70s was a great time to see the Canes at home. Life was simpler and going to a game, win or lose, was much more enjoyable than it has become now. There were no high tech video screens to look at. There was a scoreboard with a clock and another that displayed scores from other games. There was no, ultra loud, annoying music. Essentially it was just football with a play by play announcer. You actually paid attention to the game and concentrated on the players and the plays.

It was also a very genteel time to watch games. Fans from other teams would sit next to you and would actually talk about players and the game without being nasty. I can remember conversations with fans of the opposing teams and it was congenial. It was respectful and it was fun.

I understand that now fans want all the excitement. I just fell bad that they lose so much in the process,
Amen, Brother. The games were a social event for students. Not much different than Friday and Sat nights at the Rat. The game was secondary to the overall event. Had we been better on the field things might have been different, but it was what it was And the memories are sweet. Nowadays still making memories with my Son and grandson#CANESNATIONLIFER🙌🏽

Butch had as much success, if not more than Allen....Butch coached...

Jerome (3 outta 4yrs)
Kevin ***an
Derwin Jones
Bill Hawkins
Sileo
Greg Mark
Jimmie Jones
Russell Maryland (and in the Pro's)
Peguese.....
Hard to Top that.....

That's a fair argument and those are worthy names, but I would argue that UM brand under Butch was a world apart from what Allen had to work with those days. Albeit, I'm certain you would counter Jimmie Jones and Maryland were not highly recruited. I just think what Allen did back in the day was amazing, and I left out other standout DLmen like Tony Fitzpatrick, Bob Nelson, Lester Williams, Charles Cook and others who ended up on NFL rosters at some point, albeit briefly.

Chuck Foreman and Burgess Owens. Hal sears and Al Palowitz pretty good also.Mike Williams good DB. Recovered a fumble in Texas game that lead to the winning TD. I believe. Things were pretty hazy back then. If y’all get my drift. Ed Carney played QB. Good guy. Lived upstairs from me in married housing. Truth is we sometimes hoped Art Carney would come out and play QB. Great bunch of guys, but we sucked.#CANESNATIONLIFER CLASS of 73

I think Carney later coached at American HS, whose HC was Charlie Yanda, also former Cane.

Advertisement
'88 Schedule
Ranking when we played them (final ranking)
W @LSU #11 (#19)
W Arkansas #8 (#12)
W Nebraska #6 (#10) OB
W @Michigan #15 (#4)
W FSU #1 (#3)
___@ND #4 (#1)

Five top-12 teams including #1, #3 & #4 in the final polls is as tough as it gets.
We wound up #2.

I miss the "Independent " days.

Advertisement
Seems like the only teams we missed were the Dolphins and the Steelers.

Bama and ND were co-national champs, OU finished No. 2/3 in the AP and UPI polls, Houston went 11-1 and ended up in the Top 10, the Horns won the Southwest Conference and the Turds finished in the Top 20 (also, the Holes went 0-11 under coach Mike Norvell Sr.)

We ended up 5-6 and probably ran out of gas near the end of the season.

Texas (W, 20-15)
at FSU (W, 14-10)
at Oklahoma (L, 20-24)
Boston College W, 15-10)
Houston (L, 7-30)
at Syracuse (W, 34-23)
West Virginia (L, 14-20)
at Army (W, 19-7)
at Alabama (L, 13-43)
Florida (L, 7-14)
Notre Dame (L, 44-0)

Would've been too nice to see the 2001 Canes go 11-0 against that schedule 😎
Big problem with those 70s teams is that they had about 5-6 players who were really good and the rest of the team were 2 star players. They had very little supporting cast or depth.

A long time ago. When I was an undergrad (1980s), some of the older alums would talk about it.

Could be worse. Here are the names that were under consideration for USF:
---Florida Gulf Coast University
---Florida West Coast University
---University of Southwest Florida
---Tampa Bay University of Florida
---DeSoto State University
---Temple Terrace University
---Sunshine State University
---Florida Peninsula University
---Citrus State University
---Suncoast University
---University of Southwestern Florida
Funny thing is that several of those make a lot more sense than calling a school in Tampa “the University of SOUTH Florida.”

Advertisement
That's a fair argument and those are worthy names, but I would argue that UM brand under Butch was a world apart from what Allen had to work with those days. Albeit, I'm certain you would counter Jimmie Jones and Maryland were not highly recruited. I just think what Allen did back in the day was amazing, and I left out other standout DLmen like Tony Fitzpatrick, Bob Nelson, Lester Williams, Charles Cook and others who ended up on NFL rosters at some point, albeit briefly.
Tony's a close friend of mine....Loved Allen....I'm fully aware about him...

Advertisement
Back