Our 1973 schedule looked like fun

siap

Texas was pre-season #1 and one key play in the game was a Texas player running clear - maybe for a TD - when he dropped the ball. Not a dropped reception but a guy carrying the ball who just....dropped it onto the patchwork artificial turf of the old OB.
I believe that was Joe Abousie. What was inexplicable, it was totally an unforced error. There was nobody within 10-20 yards of him, nobody between him and the endzone, and at about the 30 yard line the ball pops out.

Miami tops a fumbling Texas

Advertisement
The 81 Win against Penn St was the game that brought UM into prominence....sure we beat them in Happy Valley in 79...but they were only ranked #18....The 81 Win against Penn St is the one that woke America up...and I'm Thankful I was there to witness it.....
The 79 game at PSU put Jim Kelly on the map. Not all games were televised then. But because of that game, the following week, the UM game against Alabama (at Tuscaloosa) was on the national broadcast.

They curb stomped us 30-0. Since Ottis Anderson had left, that team didn't have much of a running game. I guess Bear Bryant said no little **** offense was going to beat us on national TV.

The 79 game at PSU put Jim Kelly on the map. Not all games were televised then. But because of that game, the following week, the UM game against Alabama (at Tuscaloosa) was on national TV.

They curb stomped us 30-0. Since Ottis Anderson had left, that team didn't have much of a running game. I guess Bear Bryant said no little **** offense was going to beat us.
That's why 81 vs Penn St was my pick...Penn St was loaded....Me and a fellow Chef drove from Captiva Island to Miami down Alligator Alley in rain....Almost didn't go...but my B-Day is Oct 21st...and the game was Oct 31st...so my buddy got the tickets for a gift....we went through **** to get Sat off....Lol....

I just wish we’d play the Gators game 1 instead of Bethune
Agree about the Gators but would rather kick Southern Miss or Middle Tennessee off the schedule than Bethune-Cookman.

We don't gain anything more beating a Sun Belt or Conference USA team than we do an in-state I-AA program

Advertisement
I'm pretty sure Texas was ranked #1 coming into the game. My first year following the program. On the radio at that LoL
YUP! I transferred into Miami and that was my 1st game. Roosevelt Leaks was on the cover of Sports Illustrated and a Heisman candidate (finished 3rd). The OB wasn't packed for the opening game against #1 Texas - and we won. Ruben Carter stuffed Leaks' game up the middle and Dennis Harrah anchored the OL. Sitting in the mostly empty stands with few around me and a gorgeous Coed on my lap...but that's another story.. That game made me a CANE for life

I love it when the OG'z come together

1647898716664.png

Seems like the only teams we missed were the Dolphins and the Steelers.

Bama and ND were co-national champs, OU finished No. 2/3 in the AP and UPI polls, Houston went 11-1 and ended up in the Top 10, the Horns won the Southwest Conference and the Turds finished in the Top 20 (also, the Holes went 0-11 under coach Mike Norvell Sr.)

We ended up 5-6 and probably ran out of gas near the end of the season.

Texas (W, 20-15)
at FSU (W, 14-10)
at Oklahoma (L, 20-24)
Boston College W, 15-10)
Houston (L, 7-30)
at Syracuse (W, 34-23)
West Virginia (L, 14-20)
at Army (W, 19-7)
at Alabama (L, 13-43)
Florida (L, 7-14)
Notre Dame (L, 44-0)

Would've been too nice to see the 2001 Canes go 11-0 against that schedule 😎

Brutal schedule.
It was what had to be done in order to make money to keep the program afloat.
Remember, home attendance was abysmal as usual and there was significantly less TV money those days.

Advertisement
Who were our best players on that team? The coach was Carl Selma??

As bad as UM football was in those days, we had surprisingly high number of players excelling in the NFL during the 1970s and early 1980s...RBs Chuck Foreman, Tom Sullivan, Woody Bennett, OJ Andersen, DLmen Rubin Carter, Eddie Edwards, Mike Barnes, Don Smith, Jim Burt, Don Latimer, Tony Cline, Willie Lee Broughton, Gary Dunn, Joe Kohlbrand; DBs John Turner, John Swain, Gene Coleman, Burgess Owen's, Ol Dennis Harrah who I believe is in the NFL HOF.

Just the number of DLmen was amazing....kudos to DL coach Harold Allen who to me one can make argument as one of the All Time college DL coaches..

As bad as UM football was in those days, we had surprisingly high number of players excelling in the NFL during the 1970s and early 1980s...RBs Chuck Foreman, Tom Sullivan, Woody Bennett, OJ Andersen, DLmen Rubin Carter, Eddie Edwards, Mike Barnes, Don Smith, Jim Burt, Don Latimer, Tony Cline, Willie Lee Broughton, Gary Dunn, Joe Kohlbrand; DBs John Turner, John Swain, Gene Coleman, Burgess Owen's, Ol Dennis Harrah who I believe is in the NFL HOF.

Just the number of DLmen was amazing....kudos to DL coach Harold Allen who to me one can make argument as one of the All Time college DL coaches..

Sadly (and for right or for wrong), Allen got moved over to sports admin/AD's office when JJ was hired. Don't get me wrong, JJ hired some great coaches, but it also would have been fun to see Allen working for JJ for a few years.

Sadly (and for right or for wrong), Allen got moved over to sports admin/AD's office when JJ was hired. Don't get me wrong, JJ hired some great coaches, but it also would have been fun to see Allen working for JJ for a few years.

Are you sure, TOC?
I vaguely recall him retiring immediately after 1984 Orange Bowl.

Advertisement
Are you sure, TOC?
I vaguely recall him retiring immediately after 1984 Orange Bowl.

Yeah, I didn't mean to suggest that it was JJ that did it, just that he seemed to move out of coaching RIIIIIGHT after our greatest success (at that point), and it would have been nice to see him go a bit longer with either Howard or JJ. I met Allen a few times over at the Hecht, and he seemed to have a bit left in the tank, but maybe that's BECAUSE he retired before he was completely cooked.

I didn't start school until 1986, so the timeline in 1984 would have been a bit hazy. But, yeah, JJ didn't start until months after the Orange Bowl, so you are probably correct that Allen stepped away on his own. Didn't mean to imply that JJ replaced him, just that I would have liked to see him coach within JJ's concepts of defensive size/speed/length.

Butch had as much success, if not more than Allen....Butch coached...

Jerome (3 outta 4yrs)
Kevin ***an
Derwin Jones
Bill Hawkins
Sileo
Greg Mark
Jimmie Jones
Russell Maryland (and in the Pro's)
Peguese.....
Hard to Top that.....

Advertisement
Butch had as much success, if not more than Allen....Butch coached...

Jerome (3 outta 4yrs)
Kevin ***an
Derwin Jones
Bill Hawkins
Sileo
Greg Mark
Jimmie Jones
Russell Maryland (and in the Pro's)
Peguese.....
Hard to Top that.....

True. That's why I said "for right or wrong". Butch did an amazing job, it just would have been nice to see what Allen could have done with our increasing recruiting abilities, facilities, etc.

Two greats.

True. That's why I said "for right or wrong". Butch did an amazing job, it just would have been nice to see what Allen could have done with our increasing recruiting abilities, facilities, etc.

Two greats.
And to be quite Honest...It was HE who also really coached..
Cortez (1yr in 88)
Derrick Ham
Damione Lewis
Wilfork
Cornelius Green
William Joseph
And Jamaal Green....add these guys to the others, and it's a wrap....

Who were our best players on that team? The coach was Carl Selma??
Chuck Foreman and Burgess Owens. Hal sears and Al Palowitz pretty good also.Mike Williams good DB. Recovered a fumble in Texas game that lead to the winning TD. I believe. Things were pretty hazy back then. If y’all get my drift. Ed Carney played QB. Good guy. Lived upstairs from me in married housing. Truth is we sometimes hoped Art Carney would come out and play QB. Great bunch of guys, but we sucked.#CANESNATIONLIFER CLASS of 73

Chuck Foreman and Burgess Owens. Hal sears and Al Palowitz pretty good also.Mike Williams good DB. Recovered a fumble in Texas game that lead to the winning TD. I believe. Things were pretty hazy back then. If y’all get my drift. Ed Carney played QB. Good guy. Lived upstairs from me in married housing. Truth is we sometimes hoped Art Carney would come out and play QB. Great bunch of guys, but we sucked.#CANESNATIONLIFER CLASS of 73
Foreman wasn't on the 73 team...he left for the NFL after 1972....

Advertisement
Back