Our 1973 schedule looked like fun

I was at the game against Texas. They had a massive running back named Roosevelt Leaks. The Canes pretty much nullified his rishing game and took the contest. It was a GREAT game.
I too was there what a game Leaks had the biggest legs id seen. He was a great back;

Advertisement
I was too. I still remember the shell shocked looks on the Texas cheerleaders at the after party at the Pike house. They were the pre-season #1 ranked team going into the game.
Man we were all so jazzed going into the OU game at 2-0 we played them tough. Listening on campus on the radio. Remember radios?

I believe that was Joe Abousie. What was inexplicable, it was totally an unforced error. There was nobody within 10-20 yards of him, nobody between him and the endzone, and at about the 30 yard line the ball pops out.

Miami tops a fumbling Texas
Thats right the guy dropped the ball. I think it was dUbose. Man we partied that night.

Seems like the only teams we missed were the Dolphins and the Steelers.

Bama and ND were co-national champs, OU finished No. 2/3 in the AP and UPI polls, Houston went 11-1 and ended up in the Top 10, the Horns won the Southwest Conference and the Turds finished in the Top 20 (also, the Holes went 0-11 under coach Mike Norvell Sr.)

We ended up 5-6 and probably ran out of gas near the end of the season.

Texas (W, 20-15)
at FSU (W, 14-10)
at Oklahoma (L, 20-24)
Boston College W, 15-10)
Houston (L, 7-30)
at Syracuse (W, 34-23)
West Virginia (L, 14-20)
at Army (W, 19-7)
at Alabama (L, 13-43)
Florida (L, 7-14)
Notre Dame (L, 44-0)

Would've been too nice to see the 2001 Canes go 11-0 against that schedule 😎
Thanks for this post. Great memories and great to feel young again. I graduated in 74

Advertisement
That was wild. I think OU was highly rated and almost beat them.
I was living in the apartments and I couldn't get a ride to the game. So, like you, I listened to the game on the radio. Yep! I remember radio...and it was AM radio with crackles in the background when you couldn't get good reception. In high school in NJ all the kids in my class were hooked on AM American Top 40.....I was one of a very few who had switched over to FM (WNEW and WOR).....better music, better DJs and crystal clear.

Advertisement
I was at the Texas game as well. That game was great, but the game that year that stood out was the last game- Notre Dame kicked the crap out of UM 44-0. It was the beginning of my hatred for all things Irish, and I was enjoying life when JJ curb-stomped them 58-7. That was a great day!

Seems like the only teams we missed were the Dolphins and the Steelers.

Bama and ND were co-national champs, OU finished No. 2/3 in the AP and UPI polls, Houston went 11-1 and ended up in the Top 10, the Horns won the Southwest Conference and the Turds finished in the Top 20 (also, the Holes went 0-11 under coach Mike Norvell Sr.)

We ended up 5-6 and probably ran out of gas near the end of the season.

Texas (W, 20-15)
at FSU (W, 14-10)
at Oklahoma (L, 20-24)
Boston College (W, 15-10)
Houston (L, 7-30)
at Syracuse (W, 34-23)
West Virginia (L, 14-20)
at Army (W, 19-7)
at Alabama (L, 13-43)
Florida (L, 7-14)
Notre Dame (L, 44-0)

Would've been too nice to see the 2001 Canes go 11-0 against that schedule 😎

1987 was my favorite season—and those cats DID go undefeated against a great schedule:

#20 Florida
@ #10 Arkansas
@ #4 Florida State
Maryland
@Cincinnati
@East Carolina
Miami (Ohio)
Virginia Tech
Toledo
#10 Notre Dame
#8 South Carolina
#1 Oklahoma (Orange Bowl)

Not sure what happened but college football lost their way and courage along their 12 game schedule journey. Back when 11 regular-season games were the norm it was pretty much all power 5 and a few mid-tier teams mixed in for competition. Looking back at almost any power 5 team's schedule in the 70s is rather startling compared to the patsies we consume these days.
The SEC showed all of college football that OOC games against good teams don’t matter to the voters, so long as you’re from a power five.

Advertisement
The SEC showed all of college football that OOC games against good teams don’t matter to the voters, so long as you’re from a power five.
If I hear one more MFer say UM hasn't played anyone over the yrs I'll go crazy....Show them this...(yeah we lost to Clemson) but in 10yrs to beat the #1 team 8 times is Absurd...
img_1_1647996502077.jpg

Advertisement
Back