Our 1973 schedule looked like fun

Good info.

Like hearing about those bygone days of our state.

A guy I knew used to tell me about those powerhouse teams at Miami High and Edison in the late 50's-early 60's...

He said they'd get something like 30,000 at the Orange Bowl to see the rivalry games.
More like 40,000....Dead serious

Advertisement
Talk about balls.

Never heard this one. When did that happen?

A long time ago. When I was an undergrad (1980s), some of the older alums would talk about it.

Could be worse. Here are the names that were under consideration for USF:
---Florida Gulf Coast University
---Florida West Coast University
---University of Southwest Florida
---Tampa Bay University of Florida
---DeSoto State University
---Temple Terrace University
---Sunshine State University
---Florida Peninsula University
---Citrus State University
---Suncoast University
---University of Southwestern Florida

Good stuff. Didn't know a lot of that history. I'd guess Disney World really hurt business at Miami Beach hotels. Badly! The Parrot Jungle could not compete with Disney attractions. In the 60s, I daresay Miami (including Mia Beach of course) was the undisputed #1 tourist destination in the USA.

Disney took a while to cut into Miami Beach proper. The Magic Kingdom opened in 1971. At the time, Disney only had 2 hotels, the Contemporary and the Polynesian. EPCOT opened in 1982. The Grand Floridian opened in the late 1980s and there was a boom of Disney hotels and parks (MGM Studios, Animal Kingdom) that followed. Most of the hotels in Kissimmee were cheap-crap motels on US 192 like Holiday Inn and Days Inn.

As for the attractions, I'll give you that. When I was a kid, you used to be able to go into IHOP or Denny's, and they would have a big plastic display that had brochures for all of the attractions across Florida. I've been to most of the ones in Central and South Florida, from Silver Springs and Weeki Wachee to Parrot Jungle and Lion Country Safari. Disney definitely started to kill off all the "half-day" tourist attractions across the state of Florida.

Early 70s when Doug ****ey was HC....Nat Moore was on that team....I think I'm correct @TheOriginalCane

Yes, I believe so. UM was struggling with attendance (attracting good students) and other issues associated with our small size. We did great in the late 40s and 1950s because of the GI Bill (and that revenue was what built our "temporary" buildings like the concrete 3-story apartment buildings and the wooden 1-story shacks on the north side of campus). We then hit the wall by the late 1960s-early 1970s, when (in particular) our A-ROTC and AF-ROTC admissions dropped heavily during the later stages of the Vietnam War.

In retrospect, I wish I would have pursued the AF-ROTC offer that I had, though I thought everything was fine with my academic scholarship (and I didn't have to promise to serve time in the Air Force). The reality is that by the time I graduated, the military was letting a lot of ROTC guys out of their commitments early. One of my best friends in law school was an A-ROTC guy who was allowed to go reserves and go to law school at the same time. You have to remember, in the 1970s, one of the most famous athletes was Roger Staubach, who had to honor his 4-year commitment to the Navy. At that time, I was like "if I'm going to go ROTC, I'll honor my commitment 100%, and if I am uncertain about the time commitment, I should just not do ROTC and stick with my academic scholarship".

A long time ago. When I was an undergrad (1980s), some of the older alums would talk about it.

Could be worse. Here are the names that were under consideration for USF:
---Florida Gulf Coast University
---Florida West Coast University
---University of Southwest Florida
---Tampa Bay University of Florida
---DeSoto State University
---Temple Terrace University
---Sunshine State University
---Florida Peninsula University
---Citrus State University
---Suncoast University
---University of Southwestern Florida
UCF-Orlando and UCF-Tampa works fine to this day for the two nondescript commuter college necessities along the I-4 corridor

Advertisement
UCF-Orlando and UCF-Tampa works fine to this day for the two nondescript commuter college necessities along the I-4 corridor

Yeah, but UCF was originally Florida Technological University. Only became UCF in 1978 when I was a kid growing up in Orlando. First college football game I ever saw was in 1979 right after the name was changed.

Yeah, but UCF was originally Florida Technological University. Only became UCF in 1978 when I was a kid growing up in Orlando. First college football game I ever saw was in 1979 right after the name was changed.
Since we hanging out at the way back machine today, still remember my first Hurricanes game in 1974 against the Tampa Spartans at the soon-to-be Bucs stadium.

How many youngins' here have even heard of the University of Tampa or knew the school once played D1 football? :LOL:

Advertisement
Since we hanging out at the way back machine today, still remember my first Hurricanes game in 1974 against the Tampa Spartans at the soon-to-be Bucs stadium.

How many youngins' here have even heard of the University of Tampa or knew the school once played D1 football? :LOL:
Me.....The late Freddie Solomon was the QB...Played HS FB in Sumter Fl....he beat UM in 1972 and almost beat them in 74

I remember when Fran Curci brought his U Tampa team into the OB and, on a very rainy night, the Spartans beat the **** out of us. The following season Curci was our new head coach. My son went to UTampa and during our tour of the college I had a talk with the Director of Admissions. I told him about that game and asked why they no longer had a football team. He said that, as a small school, they just couldn't afford a team and that insurance was too costly. So Tampa dropped football. For a small school they fielded many good teams and, in Baseball, they were very good!

Advertisement
1647889293701.png

siap

Texas was pre-season #1 and one key play in the game was a Texas player running clear - maybe for a TD - when he dropped the ball. Not a dropped reception but a guy carrying the ball who just....dropped it onto the patchwork artificial turf of the old OB.

I remember when Fran Curci brought his U Tampa team into the OB and, on a very rainy night, the Spartans beat the **** out of us. The following season Curci was our new head coach. My son went to UTampa and during our tour of the college I had a talk with the Director of Admissions. I told him about that game and asked why they no longer had a football team. He said that, as a small school, they just couldn't afford a team and that insurance was too costly. So Tampa dropped football. For a small school they fielded many good teams and, in Baseball, they were very good!
Good story.

I always wonder what might've happened to Miami's program if Coach Schnellenberger hadn't turned things around.

Would we have slipped into oblivion and SoFla people just cared about the Dolphins?

I only became a Miami fan as a kid in the North part of the state because one of my brothers was a UF fan and the other an FSU fan, but they both hated the Hurricanes (like most everyone in NF). It was as simple as me wanting to be against my brothers.

Winning so big in the 80's — and the way in which we did it — locked me in for life.

Advertisement
siap

Texas was pre-season #1 and one key play in the game was a Texas player running clear - maybe for a TD - when he dropped the ball. Not a dropped reception but a guy carrying the ball who just....dropped it onto the patchwork artificial turf of the old OB.
Same for Nebraska in the 84 OB....Irving Fryar dropped a SURE TD Pass that would've effectively Won the game....

Good story.

I always wonder what might've happened to Miami's program if Coach Schnellenberger hadn't turned things around.

Would we have slipped into oblivion and SoFla people just cared about the Dolphins?

I only became a Miami fan as a kid in the North part of the state because one of my brothers was a UF fan and the other an FSU fan, but they both hated the Hurricanes (like most everyone in NF). It was as simple as me wanting to be against my brothers.

Winning so big in the 80's — and the way in which we did it — locked me in for life.
Mannnnn....People NEVER give credit to Lou Saban...his last recruiting Class (78) was actually the class that set us on the right path....That class was soooo underrated and often forgot about....

Advertisement
Back