OT - Zach Feagles

Chuck Knoblauch was another good example - couldn't make the simple throw from 2nd to 1st.

Mackey Sasser, the catcher for the Mets had it as well.

Hahaha! The name Mackey Sasser always makes me laugh even though I despised those Mets teams as a kid.

If we're broadening the term "yips" out to include it possibly progressing to or reflecting a serious anxiety/mental illness type situation then Dontrelle Willis comes to mind too. I think he's doing much better with it now in his retirement which is good to hear.

Advertisement
Came here to see what’s going on with Feagles, but all I see are a bunch dudes flipping through their old Topps baseball cards and naming off random players.

Went to a coaches conference years ago. Frank Beamer was the guest speaker and he went over special teams and impact to field position. He had stats from every part of the field an offense takes over and probability of scoring. It is dramatic.
I had a friend, a UM alum who was also a Harvard-trained economist. He did the same thing on his own back in the '80's. The difference between getting the ball in your own 20's vs. in your own 40's, was dramatic. Simply a 20 yard advantage in field position made your chance of scoring climb exponentially. It was totally non-intuitive.

I don't remember whether my friend (now late friend) had any more detailed explanations but I guess just having to get either a medium-long gain (to overcome just 2 additional first downs) or just having to get about two additional first downs made your odds much worse.

Conclusion was, getting at your own 45 instead of 25 made you far more likely to score. It's very very hard to drive whole length of field or even 3/4 length of field, even I guess, to a field goal shot.

OTOH, drive just 20-25 from your own 45 you get a decent shot at 3 points.

If anyone knows where he is....Zach Feagles owes me $2,900....Two Feagles' specialty 11 yard directional punts and my proclivity for throwing box cutters at animate and inanimate objects....took out a 65" 4K TV on the first punt and moments later on Feagles very next shank, a 60" 4K....

I must have been under the spell of Malik Rosier bc I aimed both box cutters at the center of the screens....And you can see how Rosieresque my throws were....One way low and left....the other way high and right....

Moral of the story, unless you have a trust fund the size of Riley Martell's booty: If you have a volcanic temper and the impulse control of a two year-old, box cutters and expensive TVs don't mix....

View attachment 82743View attachment 82744
Better you should watch at home and not bring boxcutters into the stadium.

Advertisement
First time I ever heard of the "yips" was when Rick Ankiel went from a solid starting pitcher to a guy who couldn't get within 5 feet of his catcher. Literally lost his accuracy over night and never recovered from it.

Your golf example is perfect though - Charles Barkey has probably spent a $million+ trying to get the yips out of his swing.

People forget 2nd Basemen Chuck Knoblauch who was ROY and a All Star for several years suddenly couldn't throw the ball to 1st base.

It also happened to another All Star 2nd basemen Steve Sax.

Sounds stupid but contracting the YIPS is not voluntary or easily controllable. When it happens it's debilitating.

I feel bad for him and wish him well just as I would anyone what any other serious disease

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back