OT: Why true freshmen quarterbacks are taking over college football

I saw this article and immediately thought of the posters here calling for the youngin's to play/start.

There are going to outliers although few and far between. The vast majority of F QB's don't start game one.

The examples cited by the writer were not valid. Tua was not the starter day one. Neither was Fromm. Both got PT in mop up duty, but were not starters until injury or necessity occurred.
Jalen Hurts & Jacob Eason started from day 1 as a TF, but that the point I think the writer was trying to make is that it's happening more often now than it used to.

I've got no problem with not starting a TF, I didn't expect Jarren to play this year at all except Savannah St & FIU. But the question I keep having for people who constantly want to fight the idea of any other QB ever playing here except for an upperclassmen is what will we do in 2019?

What's going to be so different about next year to this year? We lose our starting LT & Center next year & none of our QB's will have any starts going into 2019, so everybody who is wholeheartedly against a Red Frosh playing this year but will be all for it next year? That seems kinda crazy to me lol.

Advertisement
To bad we don't know how to put schit teams like Toledo away early.

That would have been a great game for Perry to get more reps.

Yup. Richt said that it'd be an open competition. But Perry/Weldon/Williams rarely, if at all got to practice with the 1's. If you're competition constantly gets to practice with the starters, it doesn't exactly scream "competition".

If you aren’t giving everyone the same reps with the ones it’s not a competition. Plain and simple.

If anyone believes this was an actual competition they need rehab ASAP.

14-0 ???. After we got up 21-0 Toledo got to within 7 points twice 21-14 and 28-21 and you would want a freshmen in there ?. I don't think you would find many coaches deciding to put in a freshmen being up by just 2 TD's early on in the game.
I'm not sold on Rosier but on Saturday he played pretty good, not great and he had his usual errant pass, but certainly nothing to warrant him being pulled in that game.

Dabo did at A & M. True freshman Lawrence entered game on third series in 1st quarter. Clemson leading 7-3, and proceeded to throw a TD pass on his first play.

Not saying NK is Lawrence level, but gosh darn it, Dabo had him ready in week two in front of 102,000 fans.

Why aren’t our guys ready like that??

Last edited:
Jalen Hurts & Jacob Eason started from day 1 as a TF, but that the point I think the writer was trying to make is that it's happening more often now than it used to.

I've got no problem with not starting a TF, I didn't expect Jarren to play this year at all except Savannah St & FIU. But the question I keep having for people who constantly want to fight the idea of any other QB ever playing here except for an upperclassmen is what will we do in 2019?

What's going to be so different about next year to this year? We lose our starting LT & Center next year & none of our QB's will have any starts going into 2019, so everybody who is wholeheartedly against a Red Frosh playing this year but will be all for it next year? That seems kinda crazy to me lol.
I don't often disagree with you, LCE, but I just don't get it. It seams obvious to me that there is no difference between starting a Freshman, a Rs Freshman, or a Rs Sophomore with no experience. Except the obvious extra practice and camp time learning the system, no experience is no experience. If a guy is good enough and ready to take over the team and start today, why won't he be good enough and ready to take over the team in 2019, with another year in the system?

Maybe that's not exactly the argument you're trying to make, but many have, that we may as well sit Rosier now so someone else will at least be ready to play in 2019. Just doesn't make sense to me. If you're good enough to start today, you'll be good enough to start tomorrow or whenever your turn comes.

It's been my contention since the end of last season that there are many people on this board that share the belief expressed by @TimeB0mb, above: That's it's better to lose a few games this season that Rosier probably would have won, just to get someone experience for next season.

I call bullshlt on that idea, and I don't believe in throw away seasons. You play to win the game, and you play the guys who give you the best chance to win. There's people on this team who are probably in their last year of playing a game they've dedicated their whole lives to this point on. **** throwing it away for next season.

Advertisement
Why are we here acting like a encounter group of scissfied citizens.fact is rosier is our starter.fact cis Monday morning coaches qb gurus aren't going to change cmrs mind.only an injury or rosier lack of production is the only that change it.so quit wearing your skirts put your pants on act like adults and support the canes.

There are endless considerations. Obviously, there have been many QB's start the first game of a new season without starting experience - freshman being the perfect example. I have no problem with starting a freshman if he's proven to be the best option.

We've all speculated as to why CMR has stayed the course with Rosier. Whatever the case may be, obviously Rosier is gone after this year and the 3 remaining will get all the reps split based on practice performance. I don't see this situation being any different than if we were to start a TF with no starts other than the 3 have been in the system longer.

Hurts had/has a helluva supporting cast and he wasn't great but serviceable. You could argue the same with Eason.

Damned if you do. Damned if you don't.

I don't often disagree with you, LCE, but I just don't get it. It seams obvious to me that there is no difference between starting a Freshman, a Rs Freshman, or a Rs Sophomore with no experience. Except the obvious extra practice and camp time learning the system, no experience is no experience. If a guy is good enough and ready to take over the team and start today, why won't he be good enough and ready to take over the team in 2019, with another year in the system?

Maybe that's not exactly the argument you're trying to make, but many have, that we may as well sit Rosier now so someone else will at least be ready to play in 2019. Just doesn't make sense to me. If you're good enough to start today, you'll be good enough to start tomorrow or whenever your turn comes.

It's been my contention since the end of last season that there are many people on this board that share the belief expressed by @TimeB0mb, above: That's it's better to lose a few games this season that Rosier probably would have won, just to get someone experience for next season.

I call bullshlt on that idea, and I don't believe in throw away seasons. You play to win the game, and you play the guys who give you the best chance to win. There's people on this team who are probably in their last year of playing a game they've dedicated their whole lives to this point on. **** throwing it away for next season.
I never said we should lose a few games to get the younger guys experience, but the guarantee of Wins with Malik aren't always there as evidenced by the multiple games we've played against teams with a legitimate Defenses.

The point is if they aren't good enough to play now what's the guarantee they'll be good enough to play next year? The only way you'll ever know how good or bad a QB is by playing him. We have no idea how good any of the other 3 will be, people just assume based on what they've been told.

If they're going to be so much better or more productive than Malik next year, then what's stopping them this year?
2 Redshirt Freshman can't grasp the Offense now, but next year a Red Frosh will pick it up easy next year? If so, why?

I have no problem with Malik starting this year, win, lose or draw he should play every single game, I just want people to stop always making excuses for why QB play is so average & while simultaneously telling me it's going to be better next year with the same guys who never play now. Because whatever can be done to make them better then, can be done now, but that's not going to happen. If Malik plays bad vs BC, I don't wanna hear sh*t about him giving us the best chance to win & I also don't want him benched either. Just stop the excuses is all I ask.

Advertisement
I never said we should lose a few games to get the younger guys experience, but the guarantee of Wins with Malik aren't always there as evidenced by the multiple games we've played against teams with a legitimate Defenses.

The point is if they aren't good enough to play now what's the guarantee they'll be good enough to play next year? The only way you'll ever know how good or bad a QB is by playing him. We have no idea how good any of the other 3 will be, people just assume based on what they've been told.

If they're going to be so much better or more productive than Malik next year, then what's stopping them this year?
2 Redshirt Freshman can't grasp the Offense now, but next year a Red Frosh will pick it up easy next year? If so, why?

I have no problem with Malik starting this year, win, lose or draw he should play every single game, I just want people to stop always making excuses for why QB play is so average & while simultaneously telling me it's going to be better next year with the same guys who never play now. Because whatever can be done to make them better then, can be done now, but that's not going to happen. If Malik plays bad vs BC, I don't wanna hear sh*t about him giving us the best chance to win & I also don't want him benched either. Just stop the excuses is all I ask.
I agree with this. I think as long as Rosier is the better option, he needs to start, but that we also have to get the younger guys in the game. I would have given Perry a series in the first half against Toledo. I understand why Richt didn't, hindsight proves how quick Toledo can put up points if you're not on your A game, but I would have done it for a series up 14-0 with our defense holding them on three straight possessions.

I think the backups will get plenty of time against FIU. People will complain that that's not "meaningful" reps. Meaningful to who? It's certainly meaningful to the guys who've never experienced a true D1 defense.

What I want to see, though, is whoever emerges the FIU game as the clear backup to get a series or two against UNC. I really hope we blow their *** out at home, and they shouold be the perfect opponent for next man up to get a taste of his first P5 defense.

The powers are finding franchise QBs. Ohio State, Alabama, Georgia. It’s an arms race.

We need to play our top gun.

I agree with this. I think as long as Rosier is the better option, he needs to start, but that we also have to get the younger guys in the game. I would have given Perry a series in the first half against Toledo. I understand why Richt didn't, hindsight proves how quick Toledo can put up points if you're not on your A game, but I would have done it for a series up 14-0 with our defense holding them on three straight possessions.

I think the backups will get plenty of time against FIU. People will complain that that's not "meaningful" reps. Meaningful to who? It's certainly meaningful to the guys who've never experienced a true D1 defense.

What I want to see, though, is whoever emerges the FIU game as the clear backup to get a series or two against UNC. I really hope we blow their *** out at home, and they shouold be the perfect opponent for next man up to get a taste of his first P5 defense.

FIU is a D2 school. Let's at least be honest about things. We've only played 1 D1 school this season and they pushed our stool in.

Perry was competing for suspensions and Weldon was injured. But i'm sure you gurus knew that.

What does a 1-game suspension have to do with the entirety of the season? Why would Richt preach QB competition, when there really wasn't a genius? Surely a guru like you could fill us in on that.

Advertisement
Dabo did at A & M. True freshman Lawrence entered game on third series in 1st quarter. Clemson leading 7-3, and proceeded to throw a TD pass on his first play.

Not saying NK is Lawrence level, but gosh darn it, Dabo had him ready in week two in front of 102,000 fans.

Why aren’t our guys ready like that??

Corching

People don’t get suspended for no reason. It’s probably the reason why Perry didn’t get more of a shot to win the job. Competition isn’t always on the field. It’s also in the film and QB rooms. If you don’t show that you deserve a shot on the field. And you lack a basic knowledge of the play book and offense. Then why should you give that player a shot on the field until he deserves it.

Advertisement
Unless NFL teams are gonna spend 75% of their salary cap on QBs, it ain't happenin', cap'n.

Success for QBs coming outta College is based on innate ability, not what system they played in in College...Joe Montana played in an option system at ND.

I'm not sure what you mean about salary cap, but it doesn't matter. If the NFL doesn't care, then there's no disincentive to playing spread. You can tell kids to come play that system and learn the NFL one when they get there.

I would not complain (much) if Rick played Perry and we dropped more games than we probably would have with Rosier.

#1: that's not likely to happen. I think Perry can do everything Rosier can, but much better

#2: Fact is that we are probably out of the playoff picture even if we run the table and beat Clemson assuming Alabama, Oklahoma, Ohio State are undefeated and a 1 loss SEC team is in play. The SEC, as much as I hate to say it, stomped the other conferences premier teams early on. Auburn over UW then LSU embarrassing the Canes (or should I say the Canes embarrassed themselves with Rick's lack of preparation and the Canes performance). Our only shot is with a qb change, then pundits can make the argument that the Miami team that got beat week 1 is not the same team at the end of the season (get benefit of doubt like Clemson did with Cuse loss due to not having qb).

#3: we can start an inexperienced qb this season or next season. Since we aren't winning a championship this season, I'd rather see what we have for next year. I also think that recruits aren't going to abandon ship if we go 9-3 with Perry instead of 10-2 with Rosier because it will at least show them we have a qb for the next few years. Rick could also lock in a 11-1 season with Williams, but we all know that he isn't going to start the Tr Freshman even though he is the best qb on the roster.

If I knew for a fact that we'd run the table and beat Clempson, I'd ride with Rosier every day of the week and thrice on Sunday. Let Perry learn next spring/summer, I want to win now. Tomorrow isn't promised.

It was brilliant when Al Gorlden started Bard Kaayak as a true frosh.

Somehow it's also brilliant that Mork Rich keeps Perry on the bench as a RS Frosh.

Only here gents. Only here.

Who was Kaaya competing against who was even as good as Rosier? Not all FR are created equal, and neither is their competition.

What does a 1-game suspension have to do with the entirety of the season? Why would Richt preach QB competition, when there really wasn't a genius? Surely a guru like you could fill us in on that.

If you were a true competitor fighting to be the #1 QB at miami would you be ******* off during the spring and getting suspended. It was reported that it wasn't a single incident that he was suspended for. I think Kosi is more talented than Rosier but if the kid wasn't mentally prepared to take the job he wasn't prepared to be handed the job either. For all we know Nkosi could be some Dwight Howard type goof who has all the potential in the world but none of the mental makeup to be great. NOBODY here has seen enough of Nkosi to be sure of anything. Obviously most would argue they've seen enough of Rosier for a lifetime but that's a different argument.

Advertisement
Back