OT: Why true freshmen quarterbacks are taking over college football

bigsonnyu

Sophomore
Advertisement
Advertisement
freshmen would be playing here under another HC...Richt is not the qb guru most think he is. You can't be stubborn in today's game. He could have easily put a freshmen in for a series against Toledo when we were up 14-0; no, he gives us lame excuses as to why he felt the need to keep playing Nosier. Nosier is not holding us back, it's CMR. I no longer take a word CMR says as truth. He's feeding bs to validate his stance on which qb can handle running the offense in meaningful moments in a game. Yeah, he's there everyday with them in practice but with other programs starting and/or rotating a young guy in early in games, he still back in the 80s and 90s with the older experienced guy being the only serviceable guy who will play. Why wait til Nosier gets hurt or ***** the bed to allow a freshmen meaningful minutes? We may beat FIU in the same matter as Toledo, but how much of the freshmen do we see and when do they get in to develop a feel for real game situations.

Haha 14-0. No coach in there right mind would put in a second string back up at that score. Especially in the first quarter. Lmao. **** it was a one score game in the 3rd quarter. Sorry sideline coach, but I have to disagree with you

When Richt was working under Bowden in the 90's at FSU they were known to insert the entire second team offense for one series early in games against weaker teams, just to give them game experience rather than just waiting until the fourth quarter when the game was already over and they were just trying to run out the clock.

Haha 14-0. No coach in there right mind would put in a second string back up at that score. Especially in the first quarter. Lmao. **** it was a one score game in the 3rd quarter. Sorry sideline coach, but I have to disagree with you
Programs are playing freshmen with no lead and/or defecits, it's scary mofos like you that's living in the past. C,mon with us to the new generation of competitive football. You would serve us well by keeping quiet as the game has past you by.

Advertisement
When Richt was working under Bowden in the 90's at FSU they were known to insert the entire second team offense for one series early in games against weaker teams, just to give them game experience rather than just waiting until the fourth quarter when the game was already over and they were just trying to run out the clock.
That's bc Richt wasn't running the show and Bowden trust the process of getting players game ready.

Programs are playing freshmen with no lead and/or defecits, it's scary mofos like you that's living in the past. C,mon with us to the new generation of competitive football. You would serve us well by keeping quiet as the game has past you by.
Only when they win the battle or when the #1 QB is sucking though. Rosier won the battle, and Richt doesn't want to make the mistake of putting an unprepared backup in like he did last year.

Only when they win the battle or when the #1 QB is sucking though. Rosier won the battle, and Richt doesn't want to make the mistake of putting an unprepared backup in like he did last year.
What battle, there was no battle. CMR fool you to with the open competition speech. Unlike last season, we have qbs capable of running this vanilla offense. We will agree to disagree with CMR and his handling of the qbs. Good luck with Nosier when the real competitive games start.

What battle, there was no battle. CMR fool you to with the open competition speech. Unlike last season, we have qbs capable of running this vanilla offense. We will agree to disagree with CMR and his handling of the qbs. Good luck with Nosier when the real competitive games start.

Yup. Richt said that it'd be an open competition. But Perry/Weldon/Williams rarely, if at all got to practice with the 1's. If you're competition constantly gets to practice with the starters, it doesn't exactly scream "competition".

Advertisement
Let's just say he did and Perry or whoever put us in worse position then you fans would ***** why the **** he did that, but thankfully your boy noisier and company were able to develop some continuity and counter their punches. I want what's best for our team as well. He's the coach and nosier knows the offense and has experience. Shake his confidence up if the others fail would only doom us more imo. I say be patient. Those guys will get their reps throughout the season and may take over at some point, but 14-0 in the first few minutes of the game is ludicrous, but what do I know because I'm just a painter. Lol

Yup. Richt said that it'd be an open competition. But Perry/Weldon/Williams rarely, if at all got to practice with the 1's. If you're competition constantly gets to practice with the starters, it doesn't exactly scream "competition".

Perry was competing for suspensions and Weldon was injured. But i'm sure you gurus knew that.

freshmen would be playing here under another HC...Richt is not the qb guru most think he is. You can't be stubborn in today's game. He could have easily put a freshmen in for a series against Toledo when we were up 14-0; no, he gives us lame excuses as to why he felt the need to keep playing Nosier. Nosier is not holding us back, it's CMR. I no longer take a word CMR says as truth. He's feeding bs to validate his stance on which qb can handle running the offense in meaningful moments in a game. Yeah, he's there everyday with them in practice but with other programs starting and/or rotating a young guy in early in games, he still back in the 80s and 90s with the older experienced guy being the only serviceable guy who will play. Why wait til Nosier gets hurt or ***** the bed to allow a freshmen meaningful minutes? We may beat FIU in the same matter as Toledo, but how much of the freshmen do we see and when do they get in to develop a feel for real game situations.

14-0 ???. After we got up 21-0 Toledo got to within 7 points twice 21-14 and 28-21 and you would want a freshmen in there ?. I don't think you would find many coaches deciding to put in a freshmen being up by just 2 TD's early on in the game.
I'm not sold on Rosier but on Saturday he played pretty good, not great and he had his usual errant pass, but certainly nothing to warrant him being pulled in that game.

Advertisement
I saw this article and immediately thought of the posters here calling for the youngin's to play/start.

There are going to outliers although few and far between. The vast majority of F QB's don't start game one.

The examples cited by the writer were not valid. Tua was not the starter day one. Neither was Fromm. Both got PT in mop up duty, but were not starters until injury or necessity occurred.

I saw this article and immediately thought of the posters here calling for the youngin's to play/start.

There are going to outliers although few and far between. The vast majority of F QB's don't start game one.

The examples cited by the writer were not valid. Tua was not the starter day one. Neither was Fromm. Both got PT in mop up duty, but were not starters until injury or necessity occurred.
Don't let facts spoil the narrative.

I would not complain (much) if Rick played Perry and we dropped more games than we probably would have with Rosier.

#1: that's not likely to happen. I think Perry can do everything Rosier can, but much better

#2: Fact is that we are probably out of the playoff picture even if we run the table and beat Clemson assuming Alabama, Oklahoma, Ohio State are undefeated and a 1 loss SEC team is in play. The SEC, as much as I hate to say it, stomped the other conferences premier teams early on. Auburn over UW then LSU embarrassing the Canes (or should I say the Canes embarrassed themselves with Rick's lack of preparation and the Canes performance). Our only shot is with a qb change, then pundits can make the argument that the Miami team that got beat week 1 is not the same team at the end of the season (get benefit of doubt like Clemson did with Cuse loss due to not having qb).

#3: we can start an inexperienced qb this season or next season. Since we aren't winning a championship this season, I'd rather see what we have for next year. I also think that recruits aren't going to abandon ship if we go 9-3 with Perry instead of 10-2 with Rosier because it will at least show them we have a qb for the next few years. Rick could also lock in a 11-1 season with Williams, but we all know that he isn't going to start the Tr Freshman even though he is the best qb on the roster.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Back