OT: Why true freshmen quarterbacks are taking over college football

It's apparent that Richt is already treating this as a throwaway season by keeping Malik as the starter after the LSU debacle to ensure he'll have a scholarship QB backing up Jarren next season. I hope the juniors stick around, I think their draft stocks would go up (Ahmmon's in particular). I also hope the top HS QBs aren't paying close attention to the shìtshow we're seeing behind center & starting to wonder if they'd really get to battle for meaningful reps as freshmen like we're seeing with some of the top teams across the country. Why would a top QB sign knowing they'll probably ride the bench no matter how bad the starter is? I think this will be magnified when we really start seeing Jarren throw the ball around & everyone sees what we've had sitting on the bench.

That's the biggest problem with this apparent strategy. In today's game with the new transfer rules, QB transfers will soon be the norm. Look at what it did for Burrow & the exposure that got in Dallas. He'd still be riding the pine at OSU. You can't base your depth chart on fear of kids leaving - or on starting guys you think "have earned it" when their backups are clearly better - without taking away the team's best chance at winning & scaring away the best recruits. Anyone who's content because Malik played a little better against Toledo just doesn't get it. They'd probably also be content squandering our talent base with neverending 10 win seasons, never sniffing another title. I'm not.

It's apparent that no matter what happens somebody's going to say it's apparent Richt is treating this as a throwaway season.

Advertisement
He's not the only one at practice everyday. I talk to some of the people that watch almost every practice.

That's how that works.

I truly mean no offense, but you're a guy on the internet. I don't know you so I have no idea who you talk to. It turns out that sometimes people say things on the internet and those things turn out to be wrong.

Again, I don't mean to offend, but why would I believe that you know more than the coach? He's not infallible but he is most definitely there every day.

I truly mean no offense, but you're a guy on the internet. I don't know you so I have no idea who you talk to. It turns out that sometimes people say things on the internet and those things turn out to be wrong.

Again, I don't mean to offend, but why would I believe that you know more than the coach? He's not infallible but he is most definitely there every day.

I don't care what you think you know or what you think you don't know.

My creds are verified son. take your speculation somewhere else.

It's apparent that Richt is already treating this as a throwaway season by keeping Malik as the starter after the LSU debacle to ensure he'll have a scholarship QB backing up Jarren next season. I hope the juniors stick around, I think their draft stocks would go up (Ahmmon's in particular). I also hope the top HS QBs aren't paying close attention to the shìtshow we're seeing behind center & starting to wonder if they'd really get to battle for meaningful reps as freshmen like we're seeing with some of the top teams across the country. Why would a top QB sign knowing they'll probably ride the bench no matter how bad the starter is? I think this will be magnified when we really start seeing Jarren throw the ball around & everyone sees what we've had sitting on the bench.

That's the biggest problem with this apparent strategy. In today's game with the new transfer rules, QB transfers will soon be the norm. Look at what it did for Burrow & the exposure that got in Dallas. He'd still be riding the pine at OSU. You can't base your depth chart on fear of kids leaving - or on starting guys you think "have earned it" when their backups are clearly better - without taking away the team's best chance at winning & scaring away the best recruits. Anyone who's content because Malik played a little better against Toledo just doesn't get it. They'd probably also be content squandering our talent base with neverending 10 win seasons, never sniffing another title. I'm not.
In all fairness, I’m pretty sure burrow was a grad transfer and didn’t do anything groundbreaking. Otherwise, I think you spot on about transfer QBs being the norm going forward and your other points.

I don't care what you think you know or what you think you don't know.

My creds are verified son. take your speculation somewhere else.

Verified by whom?

Saying you've got cred isn't anything and I'll keep my speculation right here next to yours.

Advertisement
So do I take your word for how things went down or Mongo's?

Hmmmmm tough choice.

Yeah, but the point is that AT THE TIME we were all led to believe that Kaaya was beginning the season as the starter because Williams wasn't over his injury yet.

Hey at least Saban can change with the times, unlike a lot o coaches stuck in the 90's. The thing is though with these tuck and haul *** guys they normally don't compute to the pro's.

Sure as **** helps when Saban lands the top-ranked, dual-threat quarterback in the nation in 5-star Tua Tagovailoa. Not to mention a mini-NFL offensive line and a power running game every year, literally reloading non-stop. Most other programs are in that same position regarding an abundance of depth and talent.

The article also cites what Jake Fromm did stepping in at Georgia; Fromm was also a 5-star and a superior talent.

Capable freshman quarterbacks aren't necessarily growing on trees. We're talking about two next-level kids here.

Advertisement
Unless NFL teams are gonna spend 75% of their salary cap on QBs, it ain't happenin', cap'n.

Success for QBs coming outta College is based on innate ability, not what system they played in in College...Joe Montana played in an option system at ND.

NFL has already adapted to it. The fullback is nearly extinct in the nfl, teams are not paying top dollar for RBs anymore. Yeah, there are many good backs right now but they are mostly running out of one back formations. Spreading teams out and running. TEs are at a premium right now due to teams wanting to pass the ball. Rules have been changed to profit the offensive players. So that games are high action, high scoring. These same changes are made in the NBA to help boost scoring. That’s why the games are now 150-160 lol. Cause no one wants to see a boring defensive struggle game.

That's bc Richt wasn't running the show and Bowden trust the process of getting players game ready.

And what I liked most about Ol' Bobby is he stuck to his game plan. There was no hand-off, hand-off, hand-off. He ran his basic office even if it meant chucking it downfield with the newbys. That's why his teams were competitive.

Dont see how people on the board can say coach is stubborn ---- he benched his UNDEFEATED Starting QB in the last game of the season
- I want to see Perry gets some snaps but no one has said this kid has earned it during practice and off season....

Haha 14-0. No coach in there right mind would put in a second string back up at that score. Especially in the first quarter. Lmao. **** it was a one score game in the 3rd quarter. Sorry sideline coach, but I have to disagree with you
Kirby Smart just put in Justin Fields in the 2nd quarter at Missouri only up 10-7. Tell me again how we can't get one of our younger guys in if we're not blowing a team out on the road.

Advertisement
Besides future QBs, I'm sure our putrid passing attack isn't helping with the recruitment of somebody like Jadon Haselwood. I'm pretty sure the reason he's even wavering from his UGA commitment is because he's worried about their poor passing attack.

Winning isn't enough anymore. You gotta win in style in a way that's appealing to future recruits.

Haselwood knows who is coming up at QB. Dugans had him work out the morning of Paradise with Jarren and Harley.

I'm not sure why I love watching Sitkowski absolutely suck with Rutgers but here I am finding myself watching the game

Kirby Smart just put in Justin Fields in the 2nd quarter at Missouri only up 10-7. Tell me again how we can't get one of our younger guys in if we're not blowing a team out on the road.

He put him in for 1 play - first down - a run play that went no where. Fromm was put back in after that. He isn't using Fields that much. In the previous games he put Fields in for some packages, etc. To me, this is where we should be with all 3 of our guys- maybe we will see this going forward.

I don't believe the issue is the playbook; I think the biggest issue is recognizing the defenses and being able to adjust. Even if Malik doesn't always get it either, he gets MORE of it than Kosi or Cade. We don't even know about Jarren . I think given our issues on the OLine CMR is trying to prevent the young guys from taking hits before they have to. Maybe now that the Oline seems to be working together better, we will see the young guys get more time. UGA and Clemson don't have the Oline problems- not an issue for Fields or Lawrence.

I am not trying to defend CMR - not at all- but UGA and Clemson have handled their freshmen QBs differently from day one. I don't know the capabilities of their backups when the freshmen arrived but both UGA and Clemson had their backups transfer out almost immediately. Both Fields and Lawrence have been getting snaps since day 1 with the first team defense. Not true of Jarren. It seemed pretty clear that NKosi and Cade were going to be given first shot at the QB job- again, I get that for the beginning of spring but at this point, I don;t see how Williams can move forward unless he gets quality reps in practice.

None of us really knows what goes on in the closed part of practice. I just think there are a lot of factors involved in the decision to keep the young guys off the field more than the fans would like.

Advertisement
Haha 14-0. No coach in there right mind would put in a second string back up at that score. Especially in the first quarter. Lmao. **** it was a one score game in the 3rd quarter. Sorry sideline coach, but I have to disagree with you
Hahaha a coach at UM put a backup qb in 0-0 in the first qtr...all your googoo *** football intel aint worth a ****. Sideline cheerleader go chump off somewhere else

Advertisement
Back