OT: Why do people hate ESPN?

Advertisement
Everyone is always taking shots at ESPN. I must be missing something. The First Take/Bayless era was not a good look, but FS1, the only alternative is taking the debate/hot take format to another level.

IMO they're just an easy target for the new-age internet fan. They show games and report the news. When nothing else is on I throw it on. I don't see the big deal that people are so anti-ESPN. They have biases but those are mostly ratings related, market size, etc. The analysis isn't always great but shows like PTI & Russillo and Kanell provide fair insight.

As far as us, there is a slight disrespect but nothing egregious like SI. ****, The 30 for 30 documentaries kept us relevant when the play on the field was the definition of mediocre and has helped with recruiting.

Been noticing this for a while now, here included, just curious.

I may sign up for 999 fake accounts just to down vote this post 1,000 times.

And my sentiments echo everyone else here, except I hate that phony POS Jerk Curbstreet.

View attachment 44111

Ridiculous hearing him contend Ohio State and Penn State both should be in the playoffs last season.

He's the king of passive-aggressive BS -- and he gets defensive as **** when people call him out on it.

If Curbstreet was any kind of professional, he wouldn't have been jumping around on the sideline like a 10-year-kid while employed as an ESPN "analyst" ...

Edit: And nothing personal to the OP, my fellow Cane.

lolwut? Sorry to break it to you, but a lot of people thought that (not including myself, PSU beat them H2H, OSU didn't win conf). Herbstreit is by far one of the most reasonable and objective people on ESPN. He may say some dumb stuff sometimes, but not nearly as much as most of the other people on there. May be a pretty low standard, but he is typically pretty objective. Also is not shy whatsoever to down his alma mater despite what you seem to be implying.

I almost never watch ESPN. I'll watch for the start of free agency, because Adam Schefter is a beast. Given the choice I watch NFL Network over ESPN. And I literally couldn't give a **** about any sports commentary that isn't football. So the only other time I watch ESPN is for the actual sporting event.

ESPNU is watchable for me, though the SEC propaganda is ******* insane. College Gameday is only watchable for Rece Davis and Herbstreit.
Around the Horn is terrible. First Take is ******* trash (FS1's Skip & Shannon is a million times worse). Mike and Mike is mostly trash. Honestly the only thing that I like is Sportsnation. And The best thing ESPN has done is their 30 for 30 series.

College Gameday was half ok when they would roll out a not-fully-recovered-from-stroke Lee Corso to embarrass himself even more than when he was fully sentient.

Watching him drool, stumble and gurgle his stupid comments and predictions were usually the only bright spots in a sad period in canes history.

What ****es me off is the anchors trying to be stars but off camera most of them r entitled as fuq....and a lot of the older anchors there weren't this way 10-15 years ago

A lot of phony heads on TV alot

Everyone is always taking shots at ESPN. I must be missing something. The First Take/Bayless era was not a good look, but FS1, the only alternative is taking the debate/hot take format to another level.

IMO they're just an easy target for the new-age internet fan. They show games and report the news. When nothing else is on I throw it on. I don't see the big deal that people are so anti-ESPN. They have biases but those are mostly ratings related, market size, etc. The analysis isn't always great but shows like PTI & Russillo and Kanell provide fair insight. (I admit there's not many)

As far as us, there is a slight disrespect but nothing egregious like SI. ****, The 30 for 30 documentaries kept us relevant when the play on the field was the definition of mediocre and has helped with recruiting.

I ask you to read comment #16 or down-vote me. Either way, good discussion so far. I'm not saying ESPN is great just want to know the alternative.

Last season (and many previous seasons) ESPN chose not to report on a single Miami game unless the Canes were playing against a top 10 team. Last year we won nine games and not one single story or photo report. Other schools with far less successful teams got much more exposure on ESPN. Someone at their website editorial level works hard to make sure Miami gets minimal national exposure.

That's why Miami fans hate ESPN.

Advertisement
Advertisement

IMO they're just an easy target for the new-age internet fan. They show games and report the news. When nothing else is on I throw it on. I don't see the big deal that people are so anti-ESPN. They have biases but those are mostly ratings related, market size, etc. The analysis isn't always great but shows like PTI & Russillo and Kanell provide fair insight. (I admit there's not many)

I ask you to read comment #16 or down-vote me. Either way, good discussion so far. I'm not saying ESPN is great just want to know the alternative.

Last season (and many previous seasons) ESPN chose not to report on a single Miami game unless the Canes were playing against a top 10 team. Last year we won nine games and not one single story or photo report. Other schools with far less successful teams got much more exposure on ESPN. Someone at their website editorial level works hard to make sure Miami gets minimal national exposure.

That's why Miami fans hate ESPN.

Well thats not entirely true. ESPN was pushing the Miami-App St game pretty heavily.

Will be interesting if they do the same this yr since UGA is playing APP St. But its at UGA so I don't think they will as much. I think they were doing more press on it because we were at their place and it was the biggest game theyve ever had on their home turf.

I liked the App St game, and wouldn't mind doing another home and home. But i don't feel the same way about Toledo.

Advertisement
1. Their announcers are idiots.
2. Their ACC blog is atrocious.
3. They love FSU
4. They have a monopoly on CFB broadcasting that the federal government should break up.
5. They are much more concerned with entertainment than serious CFB analysis.
6. All of the affirmative action women they have on the sideline are terrible announcers and need to be fired.
7. Their male announcers are only slightly less terrible announcers and need to be fired too.
8. They love the SEC
9. They usually seem to be anti-Miami (although every fanbase seems to think ESPN hates them.)

Last edited:
Advertisement
Besides the anti-Miami bias and their programming being pure ****, I just can't stand them pushing their politically correct, social justice warrior B.S. everyday. It is simply pathetic. Want an example? Check out this diarrhea:

ESPN Replaces Black Female Announcer for Holding Conservative Views - She Denounced NFL Players Kneeling During Anthem

I was tired of that b*tch anyway, her ideas of what someone can't say is stupid. She literally tried to denounce a peaceful protest of kaepernick, said we are hypocrites if we use the n word, took to Instagram to say how much she despised a protest because it delayed her flight. It's like she looks down on the black culture which is ironic because she's biracial too. Don't care at all

Advertisement
Back