OT: Why do people hate ESPN?

Everyone is always taking shots at ESPN. I must be missing something. The First Take/Bayless era was not a good look, but FS1, the only alternative is taking the debate/hot take format to another level.

IMO they're just an easy target for the new-age internet fan. They show games and report the news. When nothing else is on I throw it on. I don't see the big deal that people are so anti-ESPN. They have biases but those are mostly ratings related, market size, etc. The analysis isn't always great but shows like PTI & Russillo and Kanell provide fair insight.

As far as us, there is a slight disrespect but nothing egregious like SI. ****, The 30 for 30 documentaries kept us relevant when the play on the field was the definition of mediocre and has helped with recruiting.

Been noticing this for a while now, here included, just curious.

I may sign up for 999 fake accounts just to down vote this post 1,000 times.

And my sentiments echo everyone else here, except I hate that phony POS Jerk Curbstreet.

View attachment 44111

Ridiculous hearing him contend Ohio State and Penn State both should be in the playoffs last season.

He's the king of passive-aggressive BS -- and he gets defensive as **** when people call him out on it.

If Curbstreet was any kind of professional, he wouldn't have been jumping around on the sideline like a 10-year-kid while employed as an ESPN "analyst" ...

Edit: And nothing personal to the OP, my fellow Cane.

herbstreit is cool in my book. you can tell he understands that miami being elite is good for college football.

Don't let that phony MFer fool you, brah

Advertisement
Everyone is always taking shots at ESPN. I must be missing something. The First Take/Bayless era was not a good look, but FS1, the only alternative is taking the debate/hot take format to another level.

IMO they're just an easy target for the new-age internet fan. They show games and report the news. When nothing else is on I throw it on. I don't see the big deal that people are so anti-ESPN. They have biases but those are mostly ratings related, market size, etc. The analysis isn't always great but shows like PTI & Russillo and Kanell provide fair insight.

As far as us, there is a slight disrespect but nothing egregious like SI. ****, The 30 for 30 documentaries kept us relevant when the play on the field was the definition of mediocre and has helped with recruiting.

Been noticing this for a while now, here included, just curious.

I may sign up for 999 fake accounts just to down vote this post 1,000 times.

And my sentiments echo everyone else here, except I hate that phony POS Jerk Curbstreet.

View attachment 44111

Ridiculous hearing him contend Ohio State and Penn State both should be in the playoffs last season.

He's the king of passive-aggressive BS -- and he gets defensive as **** when people call him out on it.

If Curbstreet was any kind of professional, he wouldn't have been jumping around on the sideline like a 10-year-kid while employed as an ESPN "analyst" ...

Edit: And nothing personal to the OP, my fellow Cane.

herbstreit is cool in my book. you can tell he understands that miami being elite is good for college football.

Don't let that phony MFer fool you, brah

i dunno, brah. a couple more reasons herbie is cool:
-wanted his home demolished and tried to cheat his taxes by "gifting" it to the local fire department to burn down for a fire rescue exercise
-moved his family out of columbus because buckeye fans were threatening him over his comments for the tattoo scandal
-only gave birth to sons

Thankfully Michael Smith and Jemele Hill have completely driven me away from ESPN by taking over the only 2 shows I've really stuck around for.

They are doing a great job. Love them and cari champion. She bad af to me

I'd like to sit here and pretend that I'm surprised by this br0ck post but..

nope, I actually expect something like this to come out of your mouth

espn is trash and has been trash since around 2010 or so when they became a **** talk show ala the view instead of just being the a sports highlight show ( i'm talking sportscenter since I believe that's what everyone is talking about )

they're a social just "warrior's" dream show, they're owned by ***ing disney now, it's a feminist driven, agenda driven, horse sh*t station idk what else there is to say.

There's a reason they're losing 10k subscribers a week or whatever the numbers at now

I gave it up long ago. I couldn't take the squirrel on water skis they loved to show over and over. It was like a bad mass e-mail chain from the 90s. Then they kept having spelling bees and poker.

The only thing they are there for is to watch games and possibly the draft. Though I would rather watch someone else's draft coverage. They always go to commercial on the Bucs or something like that. Only talk about a few teams draft picks and then go into depth on those few teams rather than try and talk about the picks going on and the players being picked right now. Back when the Eagles and TO had the falling out, as soon as the Eagles had their draft pick (which was right before the Bucs) it turned from draft coverage to talking about Philadelphia and TO for the rest of the first round and the second round. Possibly also the third round, I don't remember because I gave up.

I don't care much about sports outside of football. So I have Sirius NFL Radio for the NFL and then message boards for the other stuff. So there are other options than what you are limiting yourself to. I use to watch Around the Horn and PTI, but eventually all the hot air and saying nothing or stating opinions as facts got to me. It also shows you how bad journalism is where they can't separate facts from opinions.

Even when I did watch it over a decade ago they rarely had anything that really interested me or about any of the teams I was following. I know if you get into the loop you feel like you will never be informed and you are falling behind if you don't see every second of it. Eventually you figure out most of it is instantly forgettable and the few things that might actually have some kind of impact will trickle down to you from some other source. Saves a lot of time on filtering out the 99.999% garbage for the 0.001% of stuff that might actually be interesting or discussion worthy when you let others do it for you.

Advertisement
The last time I watched Sportscenter the dumb broad broadcasting was talking about grilled cheese sandwiches...

Their anchors think they are clever and funny, and it makes the shown unwatchable.

The last time I watched Sportscenter the dumb broad broadcasting was talking about grilled cheese sandwiches...

Their anchors think they are clever and funny, and it makes the shown unwatchable.

Broads talking bout grilled cheese, Lmao. I just take it for what it is and don't get too worked up about it.

The reason ESPN has shifted from a purely sports info/highlight reel format to a hot take/round table discussion format is the internet. The internet has made Sports Center and your daily sports section irrelevant. The only thing they can do is try to fill their time slots with as many "characters" as they can. Hoping for that Howard Stern effect. You know, people pay attention if they like it and pay even more attention if they hate it. I'll casually watch College Gameday for a segment or two and I'll watch their NBA game broadcasts (I actually like their basketball guys)but otherwise ESPN is a dinosaur.

Personal "ESPN hates Miami" reasons exist too. The Nevin Shapiro garbage was the final straw for me respecting a single one of their college football "anal-iists". Guys literally banging on tables screaming for the death penalty. At least they fired that half-tard Lou Hotlz.

Mark May wanted Miami to get the death penalty. I hope they save a special place in **** for the scumbag.

Also, ESPN sucks because I don't give a **** what Max Kellerman thinks about LeBron James taking a night off. And I don't want to listen to dumbass Jamel Hill talk about Kevin Durant and his chemistry with his teammates.

**** ESPN.

Advertisement
It's not even about sports no more they talk about dumb ****. There like TMZ....I don't care if there bias but them talking about politics movie stars and musicians is fkin annoying already. That 6 o'clock smith n hill is fuqin retarded as fuq and the late SC bs.

That's what I'm saying. Like MTV in the 90s use to be about music, now its all reality. Espn is just handing out shows to anyone that is loud and annoying, seem like they all have their own shows. Its getting pretty crappy, hard to watch especially knowing how it use to be

I hate ESPN because they think they are bigger than the sports they cover. Loud mouths spewing nothing but hot air. I don't need to hear one word from their mouths in order to watch a game and process what I saw.

SVP is literally only guy worth watching with a little Bucci sprinkled in. Rest is a joke for daily programming.

Herbie is ok on Gameday.

Advertisement
I love tuning into eight hours a day of Steven A Smith and Max Kellerman yelling at me through the television about Tom Brady's missing jersey. My favorite part is taking excedrin while their pitch slowly climbs to an inaudible scream. Anybody who doesn't love ESPN is a racist. That's actually a good debate topic, are you a racist.

they are desperate and their attempt for ratings is what drives me away. they are overly dramatic, extremely politically correct and have become a company that delivers news to spewing their opinions all over us instead

Advertisement
If you're a UM fan and don't hate ESPN, that is far more concerning.

If you're a Cane fan and about that #badboylifestyle it shouldn't matter. Let 'em talk all they want! Just win! Best way to shut 'em up.

That's not the point. We've done more for their bottom line than any other college football program in history. We changed football, and not just at the college level. Heck, their own Bruce Feldman, at the time, even wrote a book about it. In return, they have done nothing but trash us and degrade our program at every opportunity. I watch them as little as possible, but sometimes their stench is unavoidable.

If you're a UM fan and don't hate ESPN, that is far more concerning.

If you're a Cane fan and about that #badboylifestyle it shouldn't matter. Let 'em talk all they want! Just win! Best way to shut 'em up.

PS- you didn't ask why people do or don't watch ESPN, again their stench is unavoidable, you asked why we "hate" ESPN. Different question. I hate the 836, but I still have to drive on it.

Advertisement
Back