OT: What's Antonio Brown's Trade Value?

Tad Footeball

1996 Interim Big East Conference Commissioner
As a Steelers fan, I used to think those throwing around the notion of only getting a 2nd round pick and maybe a serviceable starter on D would be highway robbery against my team but now I think we'll be lucky to get 3rd round pick alone.

Advertisement
His contract kills his market value. His skills are still top rate but man that's a lot of salary cap space to allot to a WR.

Advertisement
His contract kills his market value. His skills are still top rate but man that's a lot of salary cap space to allot to a WR.

Remaining cap hits of $15, $11 & $12 MIL over the next 3 years. Agree that it's not cheap and he's 30 but he's also one of if not the best current WR in the league. I'm just hoping a team that thinks they're "close" bites on a world class cancer.

At this stage in his career, probably 2 2nd round picks or a 2nd round pick and a couple future mid-rounders. Might be worth more to an immediate contender (like how Chicago felt with Mack).

The problem with him is that he needs to go to a team with trade assets and the ability to take on that massive contract. That's probably why he's being linked with Oakland.

Remaining cap hits of $15, $11 & $12 MIL over the next 3 years. Agree that it's not cheap and he's 30 but he's also one of if not the best current WR in the league. I'm just hoping a team that thinks they're "close" bites on a world class cancer.

He's def top 3 in the league, I think production for value it's gotta be Hopkins as the best right now.

At this stage in his career, probably a 2 2nd round picks or a 2nd round pick and a couple future mid-rounders.

The problem with him is that he needs to go to a team with assets and the ability to take on that massive contract. That's probably why he's being linked with Oakland.

All the smoke I've seen has been around San Fran so far. This clown even put out an edit of himself in a Niners jersey a few weeks ago.

Advertisement

Great question. Here's one way of answering it. WHO will be in the mix for AB when all is said and done? Will it be well-run and successful franchises like New England, New Orleans, Seattle? Or will it be poorly run franchises run by egotistical owners that run their franchise like a real-life fantasy team?

Given AB's age, mileage, mental makeup, and contract, I would argue his trade value is actually less than a third round pick. He's got plenty of years left, don't get me wrong, but he is exiting his prime and already gotten the biggest contract he is ever going to get. For somebody to be able to fit him in the cap and their offensive system and locker room, it's not like we're talking about every team in the league.

At the end of the day, market value is whatever someone is willing to pay. In this case, whoever that is will be a sucker like Dan Snyder or Jerry Jones.

The Steelers scored big, got the best years out of AB, and many of them at well below market rates. Anything you get from a trade is a pure bonus, so don't look at it like not getting enough, look at it like getting away with robbing a bank.

Advertisement

He needs an Elite(or strong armed) QB getting him the rock....

Honestly hes an amazing WR#1 but its tough to justify that contract number with a dude who is 30 and is still a diva

Patriots.... Saints(they definitely don't have the cap)..... Rams(maybe they sell the farm but I don't think they have the cap)..... Seahawks?(doubt they would get away from their Running game formula)....... Maybe the Panthers selling the farm thinking this is their last chance to get Cam going??

Idk its tough

Advertisement
WR may be the most overvalued, over-hyped position in the NFL. Yes, AB and a handful of other guys have otherworldly talent and skills, but at the end of the day, I've become more of a believer in the idea that elite NFL WR's are made, not born.

Let me explain. By the time we get to the NFL level, there is an insane amount of talent available to NFL teams to fill a very small number of elite WR roles. Further, in order to be an elite receiver, you need to land on a team that allows for an elite receiver to develop and prosper. Put AB on the Ravens, for instance, and he's not catching 120 balls every single year. His numbers would be way down in that system compared to what he's done in Pittsburgh, no matter how great he is.

If I'm an NFL GM, I'm focusing my resources on QB, OL, DL and DB. Fast guys who can catch are simply not that hard to find at the NFL level.

There is no way he fetches a first round pick. I'm thinking a conditional 3rd rounder sounds right, with the pick turning into a 2nd rounder if he, say, makes the Pro Bowl or >1,250 yards.

Advertisement
Back