OT: What is the best sport to watch in person?

Advertisement
College football is also great in person, but I believe the tailgating is the best part... better than the in-game experience when you're in the stadium. If you don't have the best seats in the house, a lot of times you can't really tell what is happening.
This is true. I agree with what Larry Merchant once said about football: it is made for television. The way the game is played and how the camera is able to reset for each snap and give the viewer a direct angle is what makes watching it on TV better than being in-person, from a pure "I see everything I need to see going on" perspective.

Don't get me wrong, I love going to games. But I'm oftentimes unsure who made/missed a play and I'd rather watch on TV unless I have great seats.

Advertisement
Advertisement
This is peak off-season time. Just curious what everybody thinks is the best sport to watch in person?

Personally, I think hockey is the best. If you ever have a chance to go to a playoff game in a city that cares about hockey, it's insane.

College football is also great in person, but I believe the tailgating is the best part... better than the in-game experience when you're in the stadium. If you don't have the best seats in the house, a lot of times you can't really tell what is happening.

BEST (in order): college football, lacrosse, (Tie): hockey, tennis

WORST (in order): golf, NBA, soccer, NBA

My favorites.

1. College football rivalry games.
2. Ringside boxing
3. Ringside Muay Thai (in thailand, not the tourist stadium)

Events i need to see before i die.

1. Duke vs UNC BB
2. UFC
3. Premier League soccer
4. World cup soccer.

Advertisement
The NBA Finals courtside hands down.

Anything else IMO you can get the same feel watching it on TV

Advertisement
This is true. I agree with what Larry Merchant once said about football: it is made for television. The way the game is played and how the camera is able to reset for each snap and give the viewer a direct angle is what makes watching it on TV better than being in-person, from a pure "I see everything I need to see going on" perspective.

Don't get me wrong, I love going to games. But I'm oftentimes unsure who made/missed a play and I'd rather watch on TV unless I have great seats.

Agree 100%

Having been to a Stanley Cup Final Game 7, I'm a little biased, but hockey is pretty amazing. That experience legitimately made a hockey fan out of me, and I haven't looked back since.

Which game?

When boxing is hitting on all cylinders it’s really exciting to be around a big fight. I say around it as I spent a good amount of my younger days around fight people. I may have even met @k9cane.

The boxing teams start showing up to the Vegas hotel on a Tuesday and then each day more and more fight people arrive. There’s a level of excitement in the air that builds that is indescribable. You have the press conference on Wednesday or Thursday (I can’t remember) and of course the weigh in, if I recall, on Friday. By the time the event starts on Saturday night, the atmosphere is just pumped up and powerful.

Advertisement
Back